Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question About Windscreen Replacement...

Jimlad

A guy I was speaking to today who comes into my work alot is possibly going to replace my windscreen for me (big crack, and no I checked and I don't have windscreen cover).

He said what makes it so expensive is because it's an import etc with the bronze glass. I was under the impression that all Mk2 mr2s were the same. Ie, a uk windscreen would fit a jap car etc, etc. He was under the impression that it wouldn't.

Curious if he's one of these... " ah, it's an import.... that's gonna cost you" type of guys. Can anyone shed any light on the matter? BTW... my tbars have been replaced to blue tinted glass, so I don't car if the windscreen is blue or bronze... or whatever.

Also he said a trim is needed which is about £50, but he could use a universal one?? Anyone know what difference this would make? He said it should be ok and it wouldn't leak etc.

My main question is will UK screen fit a JAP car? I was under the impression that all SW20's are the exact same!! (well when talking about windscreen at least!)

Thanks for any info... need an answer asap.

Cheers Jim!!!

ps : using the gf's pc, still living with parents, but should be back to the land of TOC etc soon hopefully!!!... cheers again!

Glass from UK SW20 will fit JDM SW20.

Difference I believe is the colour tint... bronze in Japanese cars, blue/green in UK cars... also I think some of the Japanese ones came with aerial in the screen... or was that the UK one... :wacko:

My screen went... they got me a UK screen... I said tint is wrong... they said it would fit if I didn't mind the tint... I said TINT IS WRONG... they got me a bronze one, but took an extra day to source.

The trim is pretty much cosmetic. Screen is bonded to bodywork...

T-bar tints in yours might be different colour, but I believe side windows are slightly tinted too.

Hope this helps... where you been anyway Jim... long time no hear...

imports have the aerial wires

and its the sane shape glass... the blue one also looks 'fresher' as opposed to the mucky looking brown'bronze ones if you ask me!

gonna get my screen done as its riddled with stone chips

Personally i would have a propper look into this as when i had my screen done on my UK SW20 - the guy's at auto glass did say the screen on an import is slightly longer and thinner glass?

( P.S he did also own a rev 3 tubby, so i think he would know)

Good luck !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links