Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo With Turbo Not Working?

Galee

Hi all long time since I have been on here have been over at the Lexus forums for a while! I have just had a 1994 MR2 Turbo come in but the turbo is not working at all it does not smoke and drives fine it is a genuine turbo as it has the turbo and raised bootlid and turbo dash. What is the first port of call of checking what could be the problem? Anyone with any advise would be greatly received.

Regards

Galee

pull off the intake pipe and check for play or movement in the shaft, or indeed if its stuck!?

Is it boosting or even trying too check the attuwaiter on the turbo its got a round cylinder shape at one end with a pipe on it and a piece of bar about 2 1/2 inchs long on the other this then connets to the waste gate. Check it is still conneted ive known the tiny clip to break before Then check the pipes are all conneted with no kinks in them. It may be that the turbo is working just running very low or no boost at all have you got a boost gauge???????

:) if you want to call me on this i can help diagnose the problem when your next to the car :)

James

do you get any boost

do you get any spool up

no spool might be blown impeler of the shaft (knakered turbo!!)

spool but no boost might be wastegate jamed open, autuator really soft, split pipe work etc, prob not so seriouse !!

Hi guys thanks for all the replys and help. I have taken off the intake pipe and put my fingers in there and I can fell the turbine wheel(Which I take is attached to the shaft) which was stuck I tryed moving it back and forth and it did free off to about a quarter of a turn should this wheel run freely all the way round? If so could it be freed off or will it be A new turbo something more sinister? If it is a turbo whould this be any good for it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CT26-TURBOCHA...1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW The car does have a boast gauge the factory one located in the center of the speedo.

The turbo boast gauge has never moved since it come in.

Regards

Galee

Sounds like what happend to mine mate. The exhaust propeller destroyed itself and all the bits of it ended up in the CAT.

I'm 95% sure you'll need to get it reconditioned or get a new one. :crybaby:

That eBay one looks like it's had a hard life. The 2nd hand one I found was clean as a whistle at the exhauts end of it, not all black like that one. Any turbo you buy, you'd be best to have a good look at before buying. If there is any play in the shaft (do either of the props wiggle about) steer clear as it will soon blow up itself. There's normally always someone selling one on the MR2OC. I got mine for £120, which is a goodish price for a 2nd hand one IMO. Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is what my broken one looked like:

DSC01500.jpg

Notice anything missing???

FLIPPIN HECK

isnt there meant to be some spikey looking thing in there :P :lol:

Thanks for the info guys I shall take my turbo off and try and get another I have found 1993 MR2 turbo being broke would the turbo from that fit to my 1994?

Galee

Right have started to remove my turbo but am now stuck I have removed nealy all pipes apart from the one on the bottom of the turbo and it is still stuck solid and it does not look like the back of the one posted by toymota. I have removed a clamp (photoed) can the turbo be split here or do I need to unbolt the manifold and take the 4 bolts under there? I have included some photos that might help explainMy Webpage

Regards

Galee

theres a bracket underneath if youve not got that?

ive got the repair manual in PDF but cant extract JUST the turbo bit as its password protected :ffs:

will see if i can upload it :)

toyotas the best bet :)

youll need the chassis/frame codes and all that though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links