Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bang

boundsw

Did a stupid thing...borrowed my dads car (TD Passat) to go on holiday for the weekend, cheaper, and more seats ! Thats fine

But...lent him my car in replacement !! DOH.

So, take the Passat back last night, all good.

Speak to my dad who used my car to go shopping, told me he put £30 petrol in as well for me.

Start driving my car home, seams fine, turn into a road just a couple of minutes away, over a speed bump, into second.....BANG

V.Loud, so check the rear view mirror to see smoke as I roll to a stop !

Try to restart....engine turns over..But nothing !! WHAT THE HELL.

Get out of the car, half expecting to see oil and water all over the road and a nice con rod or some-thing sticking out of my block !!

But cant see anything...anyways, its dark, so I walk the rest of the way home.

Tax runs out today as-well, so got to get her of the road today !

dread to think whats wrong, gonna have to get her towed, and inspect in my garage !..WORRIED ! :help:

That doesnt sound good! :(

Youll be able to get a better look today though - if its not starting could it be a piston ring? Lost compression? Dont know if that would cause a bang but it would smoke surely

T x

did he put diesel in the car?

"Did a stupid thing...borrowed my dads car (TD Passat)"

I think he put diesel in your father is so use to putting disel in his own car that he forgot and put it in yours?? :eek:

you would know if it was diesel in there from the start

Not really, you would have to wait until the diesel goes through the fuel line and reaches the engine, there would be enough time to drive down the road a bit and there would also be smoke coming from the exhaust when the diesel gets there.

I know someone who did this once and the symptoms were pretty similar.

You sure it's fuel related... sure you've not blown a hose???

Might be a coincedence that it was after your Dad filled up...

It may very well be fuel... have you asked him if he just put 95 octane in instead of 98+? Wouldn't have thought this would have mattered though as you didn't say you were on boost at all...

yeah Guys, I was thinking that he might have put diesel in ?!?!

I was not on boost, only about 2k revs

What would I have to do if he has, how can i check, how do i clean it out ? theres like 1/2 tank in there ?!

Im not sure if its fuel related either, cam belt may be...it would turn over, but would not fire / start may be no air in / out

How do i do a compression test ?

If he has, then you will have to drain the tank, replace the f/filter and you may have to replace the e/oil as it will have past into the engine as it willn't burn it as to go somewhere.

Gonna have to get her back to my house and ave a look.

Dark by the time I get home from work at 6.

Also, tax runs out tonight !

Sorry to hear your troubles mate.

Hope the light brings some better news.

yes diesel has a very distinct smell, compare it with the passat :rolleyes:

if so youll have to do a complete system flush as paul said

My mate accidently put Diesel in his car about half a tank, few mins later the engine made a funny noise and turned off completly, as the diesel made its way through the system.

The way we got her up and running was that we filled the car up with unleaded petrol (full tank) and waited a few mins for the diesel and petrol to mix up, few mins later we started the car up and was smoking obviously the engine was burning both diesel and unleaded we took the car for a harsh!! very fast!! Drive as this burnt all the diesel fuel and then topped her up with unleaded... Everything seemed ok..

Try this method as its most likely to work if its a fuel related problem...

Hope evrything works out ok

hope you get it sorted at no or low cost, i can imagine the upset of it all ...n right after a holiday too :( was it a good holiday tho? hope so ... least thatd be summat ;) gl

My mate accidently put Diesel in his car about half a tank, few mins later the engine made a funny noise and turned off completly, as the diesel made its way through the system.

The way we got her up and running was that we filled the car up with unleaded petrol (full tank) and waited a few mins for the diesel and petrol to mix up, few mins later we started the car up and was smoking obviously the engine was burning both diesel and unleaded we took the car for a harsh!! very fast!! Drive as this burnt all the diesel fuel and then topped her up with unleaded... Everything seemed ok..

doesn't sound like a good idea to me....ragging a petrol car on a mixture of diesel and unleaded??

doesn't sound like a good idea to me....ragging a petrol car on a mixture of diesel and unleaded??

Especialy a turbo !!

But yeah, holiday was all good, just wish I hadnt have spent so much on the weekend getting pi55ed then have to do this ! haha.

but the method above burns all the diesel as well as the petrol''....or !!! u can flush the engine :P or even suck the diesel out the petrol tank ?? lol

how you getting on mate? any luck with whats caused it ?

Well managed to get her started !! :D

Not convinced its Diesel in the tank ;)

Might be an ignition problem as she was mis fireing all over the shop !

may be it was because the car had been sitting for two days outside, and not in the garage, and she had got damp

Had a miss-fire, flooded the engine, and BANG, alot of fuel got lit, but engine flooded, so would not start ?

Gonna get new leads, dizzy, plugs, and see how she sounds after that, if she'll start again :thumbsup:

tax and MOT this month as well, god damned it !!

Ill keep you posted

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links