Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About To Buy My First Mr2! :d

olimr2

Hi, I have been after an MR2 for a while and I have finally bought one. Its a bit of a beast and I haven't seen it yet, but hopefully it'll be a decent car.

Here is the link (ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4585148238

I thought I would be outbid to be honest, but I ended up winning the auction! Its a big gamble, but hopefully I'll get a pretty good MR2...

What are peoples thoughts on the car? Do you think it is worth the £1500? Also, I'm not 100% convinced the milage is genuine, but I'll have to hope hes an honest guy.

Fingers Crossed!

I'll keep you updated on the car, hopefully i'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!! :drool:

I remember seeing that on e-bay recently. Not a bad price for a turbo, especially if it's a rev 2 which it looks like. Paintwork looks a bit faded so might need a good buff up.

Good luck!

Yeah, I thought the fact that the photos were taken from a distance was a bit sus, but the price is very good for that model.

Cheers T600!

Do you know what kind of BHP the MR2 will produce? The turbo's gonna be pretty crazy and its gonna take a bit of getting used to the mid-engine - I'm currently driving a 205CTi, so its a pretty big change. At least I'm aware of the LOO, as the 205 does the same thing, but a bit less often.

Depends - sounds like yours was an aftermarket kit from the eBay advert?

Though it is an import I believe (from the shape of the rear plate).

Standard 3S-GE engine (as fitted to the majority of non-turbo Mk II cars) is good for between 140 odd and 170 odd hp. A standard turbo car (3S-GTE) is a little over 200 bhp I believe, though anything up to 500bhp is possible apparently.

If you check the 'stickies' in the MR2 section you'll find basic info about the various MR2 MkII models.

Good luck picking the car up tomorrow, you're going to love it.

Do take care with it if you're not used to the mid engine layout. Remember you've a lot of weight at the back of the car, and in your case a lot of power; so you need to be careful not to give it too much right foot, especially when you're not going in a straight line. Any Lift Off Oversteer is going to be much worse on the 2 than it is on any FWD car IMHO. (Sorry, not trying to put you off it! If you take care, particularly in the wet, you'll be fine. Enjoy).

Having a few problems with insurance, the non-manufacturer fitted turbo is causing some big problems! :(

I'm also starting to get annoyed with insurance companies employing people who can't really speak english to man their phone lines!

If it's causing alot of grief then take it off and wack a standard (CT20b instead of CT26) turbo on it (flog the one on it at the mo)!

Then again insurance companies don't know !Removed!. They wouldn't even notice a non-standard turbo on it!

It took me about 30 mins to explain that the GT Turbo was an import and not a UK car (they were adament that it was a UK car). Name shame, Adrian Flux!!!!! Cheapish tho!! :thumbsup:

An alternative would be http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/ as you get a discount if you are a member of MR2OC!

Cheers Toymota, I'm gonna say that the cars an MR2 Turbo, which should be safe enough. I'll get some decent photos up when i get it.

Having a few problems with insurance, the non-manufacturer fitted turbo is causing some big problems! :(

I'm also starting to get annoyed with insurance companies employing people who can't really speak english to man their phone lines!

OliMR2,

Have you tried searching for insurance posts on here - I'm sure there are plenty of people here with aftermarket superchargers and turbochargers. There will probably already be posts about a company who will help.

If you can't find that info, then you could start a new thread to ask other people for input on the insurance problem. Make sure title and subtitle explain what you're looking for. At the moment this issue is buried in this MR2 post so quite a few people who could help probably won't read it.

I guess your other option would be to remove the turbo? Might be worth considering - you'll still find the car is pretty quick.

Good luck.

Tony

.....i hope you enjoy your car as much as i do!!!!!like you this is my first sports car (Mk3) and i bought it brand new...In July.......I have always drove "nice cars hatchback type cars..started with Vaux Cavalier (1989) liked that at the time but i went off it........then a safe corsa,,a harmless car ..then a brand new peog 206..I liked this car.......then swapped that for a brand new 307 ,,i liked that car also,,,then in the summer time i went to Toyota got my MR2...bought hardtop wiv it...storage case and trolley for hardtop.......Private Plates.......and get this tomorrow i am having my garage door remote controlled so i can put her in the garage,,,cant be bothered getting out manually opening and shutting a door....this i do all for the sake of an MR2.....i just love it........P.P.P.P.

OK, the seller said to say 'it is a manufacturer turbo when you phone the insurance company you just tell them that it is a mr2 turbo'

The thing is, when I give them the number plate they say theres 2 models - either a roadster or a red roadster, but this is because they think its a 2004 model. It took them about 20 mins to come up with a quote when i told them that it was an import and they said if it was a 1992 MR2 they couldn't insure me which I found really wierd, especially as the 91 and 93 were insurable...

I'm going to try again tomorrow, but its risky now because the insurance company has detais of me ringing up to get a quote on a few different types of MR2 and I can't change insurance companies, as I need to keep my no claims this year.

nothing to do with insurance but i think that is a brilliant car for the money especially a turbo and once you buff it up would look much better.

i had a red one once and that polished up really nice, think red looks tasty.

just gotta keep in red, just dont let it go pink.

Good Luck with the Insurance hon... hope you get it sorted, I'd deffo give Sky a ring over insurance when you can change and get yourself a member of MR2OC ;) cause I rang them up and they were very good... just not good enough... lol got my quote with churchill.... but then again my baby is an NA atm :P

Got the car!!!!

Its a bit of a rocket!!!!

I need a few new bits, but its a good car.

The engine is from an MR2 turbo - the guy imported a T-bar mr2 turbo and they lifted it by the T-Bar at the docks which wrote the car off, so he took the engine out and stuck it in his G-Limited.

I'll post some photos soon!

heh gratz :thumbsup: yuppers the turbos are sweeeet :yes: just watch for it kicking in when ur cornering lol espescially now the weathers getting bad .... already had a few moments miself in mine and ....its interesting feeling .... possibly a bit like the feeling(ie not alltogether bad but mainly horrible) id get if someone had tied me down and was smearing marmite on my :censor: whilst their hungry pitbull looked on :help:

hope u get a lot of fun out of her :D welcome to mr2 turboland :thumbsup:

I don't know why, but lots of fumes are coming out of the car - when you start it up you get lots of fumes from the lhs exhaust only... Is this normal? I don't think it likes the cold too much - I took it out today and the turbo lag was really bad, and it was kangarooing a little.

I've bought some T-Cut, so hopefully the paintwork will be looking nice soon.

as far as i know the exhaust should smoke both sides, although mine is only one side at the mo, as the other is a 'fake' until i can afford propper exhaust

What do you mean by fumes ? what colour is it.

If its just for 5 mins when you start up then dont worry, its prob just condensation, which is even worse on stainless exhausts (if you have one)

Kangarooing....Change your plus leads and dizzy, im in need of doing this when i get paid aswell.

Common problem on the old turbos I understand

A bad spark can REALLy effect performace, you would'nt belive it until you change the leads etc then you will notice.

This could be causing the lag aswell !

Check oil levels are ok, an d never boost until the engine is warm

dont do over 3k revs for 3 miles...rule of thumb !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links