Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lest We Forget...

Caz SR

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering who was able to observe the two minute silence today? I'm quite upset that I was unable to. I really wanted to buy a Poppy too but haven't seen anyone around all week :(

It means a lot to me to be able to remember those who have lost their lives through conflict. Members of my family fought in WWI & II and it's the least I can do to think about them. No one mentioned it at all in work, let alone marking the time :(

I think its very important that we remember how bravely people fought - if it wasnt for them, who knows what our lives would be like now.

And they were just ordinary men and women.... well they weren't, they were extra-ordinary and we should never forget what they did for us.

Amen to that.

Two minutes' silence in a school is a long time for some children but we did observe a one minute silence.

My Mum was saying that she was in a shop and just before 11am they locked the door and observed the two minutes in perfect silence, staff and customers.

She also told me about a man in his early twenties, asking what it was for. He'd also thought the poppy was worn by "old people" to brighten things up.

Lest we forget, indeed.

I was at work, one of the deputy Section Leaders sent an email saying how we had to tell callers we were observing the silence if our phone rang after 10.55 and to wrap up calls by 10.59. I was annoyed as FIVE of my colleagues forgot and carried on talking, plus two section leaders asked why we all had our phones on busy & I had to tell one it was 11. She was sorry and genuinely hadn't realised. 3 of the 5 that were talking stopped when we pointed at the time, but two sitting on the next pod of desks didnt and I thought it was really rude...what also got to me was that people were calling us right up to the silence to report claims...so they didnt seem to remember/chose not to observe it themselves but we were!

I was actually in bed asleep at the time..... but I think its disgusting that you were not allowed to show your respect at work!!!!

I am suprised you did no see any poppys... they are everywhere around here.... they even come up to our houses and collect for the Poppy apeal...

I was watching a program on WW1 the other night... there are not many veterans left, they deserve all the support they can get.

I find it doubly disgusting that everywhere was "Diwali" mad when the time came (or whatever it is called) yet the poppy apeal seems neglected.

The biggest tragety is that the Britain that so many gave their lifes for to same has gone and sunken into a a sea of politacally correctness.....

If the time came for me to give my life up for this country the way it is today, I would decline, as would most people I am sure...

If I could help restore the country to its former glory, I would give it my all. :yes:

We closed the lines at work (callcentre) 10mins early to make sure that all were off the phone for 11, was good to see so many people stand up for 2 mins silence.

My first customer after the phones opened complained about the wait, was very apologetic when I state why we had closed the lines...

As per Charlies comments times have changed a lot, these days we seem to be more bothered about how not to insult foreign nationals...

We closed the lines at work (callcentre) 10mins early to make sure that all were off the phone for 11, was good to see so many people stand up for 2 mins silence.

My first customer after the phones opened complained about the wait, was very apologetic when I state why we had closed the lines...

As per Charlies comments times have changed a lot, these days we seem to be more bothered about how not to insult foreign nationals...

I work in a Call Centre too, wish our boss had done that..no-one stood up tho actually, we all stayed sitting down :(

We couldn't observe it at work either.. the public just ddn't seem to give a hoot.. they were more intersted in their cars being done

I bought a poppy and observed the two minute silence whilst in my car. Alot of my clients are over 90 years old so I bought poppies for all of them and sat chatting about what it used to be like for them alllll those years ago. :group-cuddles:

I bought a poppy and observed the two minute silence whilst in my car. Alot of my clients are over 90 years old so I bought poppies for all of them and sat chatting about what it used to be like for them alllll those years ago.  :group-cuddles:

That must be really nice Ash - I bet they have loads of stories! :)

I'm sure you have seen this before, but here is the reason I ALWAYS buy a poppy.

My late dad (lived to be a ripe old age ;) )and his medals :thumbsup:

Dad001.jpg

Dad002.jpg

We always observe the silence and i'm glad. they fought and died for us

Feel strong about it and even on a parade for it on sunday as well but don't get a choice in that one

Les.... you are the spitting image of your Dad:thumbsup:

You must be so proud of him and all his medals!  :yes:

Come on Em be honest it's because he's in a convertable isn't it ;)

Well I was in the local Asda at 11 o'clock. The whole store ground to a halt, they had announced about ten minutes before that they would hold a two minute silence and appart from little children we ALL observed the silence. Last year I was in Princes Quay shopping centre in Hull and they all stopped I mean ALL the shops n customers. I think we owe it to all our boys who defended our freedom in the world wars and in any conflict since.

:thumbsup:

Les.... you are the spitting image of your Dad:thumbsup:

You must be so proud of him and all his medals!  :yes:

Come on Em be honest it's because he's in a convertable isn't it ;)

Well you know what they say... like father, like son! :lol::thumbsup:

Yeah but no disrespect to your Dad, but I think I prefer yours to his! :thumbsup:

I feel incredibly proud during the silences, it's good that people do (mostly) come together and remember the ones we lost.

The only thing that annoys me this week is all the stories in the lead up to armistice day is the number of stories on the beeb where British Councils have cancelled celebrations and grants for christmas lights due to the fact that it may offend non-british/foreign religions. Theres even talk of cancelling the annual hymn ceremony at the church by trafalgar square as it is to christian... The reason I comment on this on this post is that 91 years ago the first great war started, over the following 45 years millions of human beings lost their lives from around the globe, many britsh men and women past away during the two wars to make this country what we are slowly throwing away. Anybody is welcome to come and live in this country but people have to realse that britain is what it is, we should not cancel annual ceremonies or services becasue foreign nationals or religions may be offended...

I got interrupted at 1 minute to 11 and completely missed it - felt crap when I realised so observed it a little later.

Had to make a special detour to Tesco this morning to get myself a poppy...

Important to remember these things ;)

A

The only thing that annoys me this week is all the stories in the lead up to armistice day is the number of stories on the beeb where British Councils have cancelled celebrations and grants for christmas lights due to the fact that it may offend non-british/foreign religions. Theres even talk of cancelling the annual hymn ceremony at the church by trafalgar square as it is to christian... The reason I comment on this on this post is that 91 years ago the first great war started, over the following 45 years millions of human beings lost their lives from around the globe, many britsh men and women past away during the two wars to make this country what we are slowly throwing away. Anybody is welcome to come and live in this country but people have to realse that britain is what it is, we should not cancel annual ceremonies or services becasue foreign nationals or religions may be offended...

I totally agree with you. I am Irish & proud of it. Uncles & Granduncles of mine fought & died in both World Wars I vaguely remember Spitfires flying over during W.W.2. I would have been 2-3 then.

Now I read the Daily Mail (even though it is very anti Irish) & despair at what is happening in your country. It is as if all common sense & sense of identity were lost.

If people come to live in your country, by choice, then they accept your ways & customs. If you go to the middle East you don't start throwing your weight around. Good way to lose your head.

Ryan...

You have hit the nail bang on the head....

It really boils my pis s.......

Edit: as has Bizarra...

I don't think the mail is anti Irish, just opposed to some of the N.I. politics :)

Its sad but people do not have any respect anymore, my 10 year old son is in the Cubs so will be marching on Sunday. He understands what its all about so why can't others :angry:

We will be there showing our respect , I just wonder how many others will make an effort ;)

At the Metro Centre today ( 'kin huge shopping centre near Newcastle ) ALL the shops observed the silence, preceeded by tannoy announcements letting the shoppers know it was approaching 11. They do this every year...........and as a result everyone there knows why.

Surely the schools, not the shops, should be the educators ??

No they would rather have diwali assemblys :!Removed!:

I agree that other religions festivals should be celebrated, everyone has the right to choose what they believe, the trouble nowadays is that people seem to be afraid of offending typically non-british religions. Why not help celebrate them all and help teach each other why a specific festival is important to that culture, theres room for everyone....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links