Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electricians. Advice Needed Please.

daktari

Hi all. What with living in the sticks and with the first signs of winter looming along with the prediction of frequent power cuts, (We get `em in the summer :ffs: ) I`ve invested in a nice shiny Honda generator as a stand by. I`m intending to plumb it into the household electrics.

Can anyone tell me what hardware i need? I`m thinking an isolator switch and some sort of changeover switch plus cabling. What sort of amperage would i need for these?

The genny is rated at 3500kv @3000rpm and 3800kv peak which i think works out at about 2.9kw and i believe it`s 32amp.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

dak.

I'm sure my mate just turns off the main power supply to the house then puts a normal three pin plug from the genny to the cooker socket and as long as you limit the appliances/lights to the generators capabilities you're ok ;)

I wouldn't bother connecting it to your house electrics.... 2.9Kw is nothing (see how it copes just trying to boil a kettle).... you would need alot more power than that to run just the run of the mill stuff in the average house.....

I'm sure my mate just turns off the main power supply to the house then puts a normal three pin plug from the genny to the cooker socket and as long as you limit the appliances/lights to the generators capabilities you're ok ;)

Really? What happens when the power comes back on? Don`t want to burn the place down. :lol:

I wouldn't bother connecting it to your house electrics.... 2.9Kw is nothing (see how it copes just trying to boil a kettle).... you would need alot more power than that to run just the run of the mill stuff in the average house.....

Yes i know. But it`ll keep the boiler and water pump going along with the fridge freezer & telly. Got propane for cooking. It`s hopefully only going to be for shortish lengths of time. :unsure:

you should be fine with a 2.9. It's not like you are going to be hoovering! It's good just to have lights if nothing else!

I'd get an electrician to wire something proper in espicially as it's illegal to do just about anything now

you should be fine with a 2.9. It's not like you are going to be hoovering! It's good just to have lights if nothing else!

I'd get an electrician to wire something proper in espicially as it's illegal to do just about anything now

Yep. Cheers dude. I managed to get hold of a friend of a friend of a friend who`s going to do it for me at the weekend. :thumbsup:

Really? What happens when the power comes back on? Don`t want to burn the place down. :lol:

That should suffeciantly pee off any neighbours that can see you have power and they don't! :lol:

Hope so. They`re utterly detestable. :lol:

My eyes are dim. I cannot see. Damn cheapy specsavers for you. Read it properly now. Cheers Les. :thumbsup:

Hi, the power I think is 3.5kv which equals approx 15 amps. Really not a good idea supplying a 3 pin plug to your cooker outlet, in fact it is very dangerous. Does your genny give you a stable regulated supply? Probably not... in which case would not be a good idea to plug any expensive electrical equipment into it.

Trust me. don't mess with your household wiring converting it to run of a genny.

Just run a mutliple extension lead from it for a table lamp etc.

If you must convert it you should use a contactor or relay at your consumer unit to enable only one supply to connect to your house wiring.

Regards Jim,

Electrician

Hi, the power I think is 3.5kv which equals approx 15 amps.  Really not a good idea supplying a 3 pin plug to your cooker outlet, in fact it is very dangerous. Does your genny give you a stable regulated supply? Probably not... in which case would not be a good idea to plug any expensive electrical equipment into it.

Trust me. don't mess with your household wiring converting it to run of a genny. 

If you must convert it you should use a contactor or relay at your consumer unit to enable only one supply to connect to your house wiring.

Regards Jim,

Electrician

Good reply Jim

I only mentioned what my mate did with his generator, he has never had a problem but that doesn't mean it's ok ;)

I must admit if I had a standby generator, your way is the only way. :yes::thumbsup:

Les (not an electrician ;) )

Hi, the power I think is 3.5kv which equals approx 15 amps.  Really not a good idea supplying a 3 pin plug to your cooker outlet, in fact it is very dangerous. Does your genny give you a stable regulated supply? Probably not... in which case would not be a good idea to plug any expensive electrical equipment into it.

Regards Jim,

Electrician

Excellent. Cheers Jim. Shown this to my electrician mate and he mumbled something about changeover switches, isolators and surge protectors....... All greek to me TBH. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links