Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Service

DaveSR

As you know the weather is changing and I would rather spend a couple of quid and a few hours tinkering with my car, rather than braking down on the hard shoulder with it snowing.

I don't know alot about cars but with a good guide im sure I can do whatever needs doing, so if anybody knows what is involved or what to do your advice would be much appreciated by me and others, also the chance to save a couple of pounds rather than booking it into a garage is a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Dave :thumbsup: !

Simple things to begin with, like keeping windows/ mirrors clean, check condition of Wiper Blades, fluid levels - washer jet fluid for the extra crud on the road, tyre tread (1.6mm is legal limit, but it is recommended that you change a tyre when it reaches 3mm tread depth).

Ensure Spark plugs are operating correctly, Battery level is ok, headlights, sidelights, indicators, brake lights (things you'd check anyways ;) ).

In case you need it, it might be worth adding a torch, blanket, some spare change (hidden out of sight), first aid kit, hat, gloves, scarf, plastic bags, tissues, etc, to keep as a winter kit in your boot.

Add to that a hi-vis jacket or something too - essential, especially in the winter with the dark nights! :thumbsup:

Also, always keep chocolate in the car - I'm not just saying that because I'm a chocoholic... :lol: ... but if you're stranded you'll need something to keep you going and nibbling on a Dairy Milk or something will help! :thumbsup:

Halfrauds currently have a buy one get one free on windscreen washer fluid and also 3 for 2 on de-icing products so I topped up today - got premium washer fluid, ready mixed, for £5.99 and got another one free - and they're big tubs of the stuff too! :thumbsup:

Do you have AA/RAC cover Dave? Its good to be prepared but if your car breaks down at the side of the road, at least, if you have cover, you can sit back and wait for the professional to come and help! :yes:

Worth thinking about, as apparently there was snow on the ground in Aberdeen this morning :eek:

It's only mid-November still!

Paul.

Plus they reckon it could be as low as -5 in places in the midlands.

Should stay dry though, so no ice should be around, but it'll still be bleedin cold!

Cheers guys you are both stars :thumbsup: !

I have taken note on what you have both said .......... I also have RAC cover given free by Mr T when I got my car :D !

Thought so, as you get it automatically with your Club Toyota membership! :thumbsup:

That premium washer fluid protects to -8 degrees.... which is why I chose it over the non-premium... oh and its a nice bright pink colour which I thought was prettier! :lol::lol:

Halfrauds currently have a buy one get one free on windscreen washer fluid and also 3 for 2 on de-icing products so I topped up today - got premium washer fluid, ready mixed, for £5.99 and got another one free - and they're big tubs of the stuff too!  :thumbsup:

HOW MUCH?!?!?! Rip off!!

At your local Makro store you can have 5 litres of decent screenwash for £2.99 (+VAT) and if you buy another you save one whole pound! That's about £5.85 all in for 10 litres of excellent stuff which iv used for the last 2 years! (except for a period where i used Halfords Apple screenwash... now that was nice!)

Oh, we also have a 4 pack of de-icer tins for £1.99 I think! Onion Bargain!

Where is the nearest Makro to me then? Probably Leicester!

Halfrauds is in Hinckley, so I saved petrol money to get there, so it all works out the same in the end! :yes::lol:

Depends on how old your car is etc and when she was last serviced etc, but keeping an eye on the coolant isnt a bad idea... Skye's coolant was simply water by end of summer, and so needed antifreeze adding, a simple process for an MR2 is was.. dunno about other cars... and saves you having all your pipework freezing over and cracking (muchas expensivo)

Other than that.. yeah as suggested, check your tyres, Wiper Blades, windscreen wash levels etc make sure you carry a first aid kit and some warm clothing in the boot.. Em's idea of chocolate isnt a bad one indeed :thumbsup:

Make sure your spare tyre is in good order too, as you never know when it might come in handy, and you will need decent tread on it.

:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links