Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ms Access

jay dh

i want to create a form and then create a table to view the form in, the thing is, the form only needs to hold the current record then save it to the table, the table needs to store all the records. the table will also have different user access permissions to the form

atm i have a table and form but all the fields in the table are in the form, also its in the same db so i cant have separate permissions for the table and form

can anyone help?

cheers

Jay

you have the concept of forms and tables the wrong way round.

tables hold data not forms. Forms can be used (inter alia) to display data.

You need to explain more about what you need to do.

Start with your table design before you even think about the forms.

i dont know how to use MS access...

basically i want to have a form that is filled in and then the results fill up the table. the form used by one person, the table used by another

why are you doing this?

if its a one-off piece of work you are trying to get out of the way - then we can try and talk you through it.

If its a learning experience, then ditch Access, it sucks harder than a !Removed! star with a hoover up their behind.

There is a free version of SQL Server studio available, and Oracle 8 used to be free to download, although I cant find the link on OTN right now.

Both of these are considerably better to learn in.

To try and answer your question:

A table is used to store data - thats all it does.

A form can be used to enter data into tables and display it.

Think about what data you need to store - and let us know, along with how the data is intended to be used.

Then you design the database tables to best store this data.

Then - you can build forms around those tables that will allow data entry.

Why does one person need to use a form and the other the table?

its a one off piece of work... its prefered by work in access

one person fills out the form, and another person manages and needs to look at records of the entered data

i forgot to add, this will be in 2 parts, 1st part is filled in, but the 2nd part of the data is unknown at this stage so filled in later, but they dont have an ID so i guess 2 spreadsheets will need to be used

the data stored in columns, just text as in short answers to questions

Im confused!

I have no idea what you're wanting, but you need to think more logically it seems... you gotta break it down into a logical design, think about what tables are required, what data will be in them etc. Like this: (these are examples from a project i had to do)

logical.jpg

Then you gotta sort the relationships out, preferably in an ERD. This is Access's basic version of this:

relationships.jpg

Then you can create input forms like this:

Form.jpg

It has to be done in this sort of order or else it'll never work as you won't have covered all that's needed to ensure that the forms work and the database runs like it should.

If you want to learn, Oracle is a better tool as it's more usable than Access, but it's a very large program designed for business, so make sure your computer can run it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links