Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Change

b1nda

i bought some Green engine coolant from toyota yesterday so i can replace the old coolant in my carina e. What i want to ask is once i have enptyed out the old coolant do i just put the new coolant straight in or do i have to mix it with something else...(it says pre-mixed on the label.)

Thanks

Pre mixed means just that.... it is mixed for you...

The writing on the bottle saying "do not mix or dilute" is usually a dead give away too :thumbsup:

green.... thought Toyota only did red coolant (for life stuff)

Rash.

p.s. reminds me to check/change coolant on my Lexus also.. getting colder by the day... :ph34r:

I thought it was for different types of engines etc?

I have always used red.....

i think that if green in for 1.8litre up wards and red is for upto 1.6 engines.....in my avensis(2.0) and carina(1.8) its green coolant and im my yaris(1.3 litre) and corolla(1.6) its red coolant

...maybe

sorry thats not right - I've got red in the Lexus (straight 6/2 litre) - it's only a year old so the coolant is still the stuff put in by Toyota from new.

It's not to do with engine size, but I don't know what the difference is. :unsure: Last time I bought some from Mr T they asked if I wanted red or green. I asked them what the difference was, but they said they weren't allowed to tell me! :blink:

I use red 4life, and I can certify that it's good for 12 years. :ph34r:

Its to so with where the car was built ;)

Karma you are so annoying - I was just going to pm you this topic as I just knew you would know something about it and then you come on and reply !

can you expand on your answer . . . .

Karma you are so annoying

I'm sure many will agree there :D :D

I don't really know much about the reasons... but I and matey with the local toyota lads.. I once asked Dave (local head of parts) what the difference was, I can't fully remember the answer, I think the database tells them which coolant is for which engine...

I think where the engines are made is what decides it (variation and corrosion properties of materials etc) although it could equally be the grade of coolant with the higher end "performance" cars....

Every Toyo I have ever had runs "red" most of those have been turbo, All of those have had the "wide angle" *G* heads.....

I'll ask next time I'm in :thumbsup:

My 1.0 litre Yaris has RED in it............ good for 100,000 miles (according to Toyota).

So maybe I will change the car before the coolant :D

100,000 miles??????

!Removed! hell I doubt my headgasket/big ends/turbo would last that long!!! :lol::lol:

Red coolant is for performance engines - Supra, Celica, MR2 etc

Green coolant is for economy engines - Yaris, Corolla Etc

Red is for 'G' engines, as in 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, 4A-GE etc

Green for 'F' engines, as in 3S-FE, 1UZ-FE etc

The Red coolant is for the higher temperatures that the performance engines reach, FE's are meant to run the Green but its ok to run a FE engine on Red coolant.

:thumbsup:

so is that why the 1nz-fe come with red coolant???? :lol:

Dont ask me, i didn't invent the stuff :lol:

Perhaps they use the Red on all VVTI engines now. My Lexus LS400 (1UZ-FE pre vvti) used Green Coolant.

The Red coolant is for the higher temperatures that the performance engines reach

So.........................My 1.0 Yaris with red coolant is a performance engine.............wow.............

(Please don't tell my insurance company ;) )

Red is for 'G' engines, as in 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, 4A-GE etc

Green for 'F' engines, as in 3S-FE, 1UZ-FE etc

The Red coolant is for the higher temperatures that the performance engines reach, FE's are meant to run the Green but its ok to run a FE engine on Red coolant.

:thumbsup:

The 7A-FE Celicas have Red in as well :P

Also the 7A-FE engine runs quite hot really like the other celicas whereas the lean burn 7A-FE runs a bit cooler so that may use the green???

Basicly i asked the green/red coolant questions a year or so ago as i wanted to know too.

The guy i know down my local Toyota Main Dealer told me its a temperature thing (makes sence) and the Red coolants are for the engines that run hottest as in all the performance engines.

He told me the Green coolant is used in the old Corolla and Camry etc as they run cooler.

Its very possible that Toyota have stopped using the Green Coolant in favour of the Red stuff as its a lot better than the green stuff anyway.

I would say the only vehicles still on the green coolant are older non vvti FE engines. As the 1UZ-FE in my Lexus had the green stuff and so did my 2T-FE in my Lucida (Both non vvti FE engines).

Toyota uses a red antifreeze in many of its products and should not be confused with the orange type long life antifreezes. It is essentially the green type of antifreeze that contains red dye to give it the red color.

So it seems it doesn't really matter what colour the anti-freeze is, so long as it's replaced every 30,000 miles or 2 years (which ever comes first). The long life stuff is orange in colour apparently and should last for 100,000 or 5 years.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links