Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stupid Lotus...

Leeky

Called the garage today....and it still isnt ready :crybaby:

So far had all this done...

New Clutch Master Cylinder

New Clutch Slave Cylinder

New Clutch Hose

New Clutch Hose Thread Adaptor

New Relays for Electric Windows

New Relays for Windscreen wiper

New fuses (as 99% had gone)

New Indicator bulbs

New Headlight bulbs

New Brake bulbs

New Fog Bulb

New Headlight Motor

New Headlight Connecting Rod

New Front Subframe

New Front Suspension Arm

And they still have an equally long list of parts on back order still :crybaby:

I was going to wait until i got the Lotus back before looking at getting my Ring car but at this rate i doubt i'll have the car back this year :crybaby:

Its been almost 2months now without a car and im starting to go insaine :ffs:

Should i just cut to the chase and buy my ring car now so i dont suffer yet another month without a car? :(

Sorry guys, just needed a good rant :) I just wish i had the thing back.

Still....good advert of just how used to having fault free Toyotas i am. :lol:

If anyone is thinking about doing what i've done and going from a Japanese car to a British car - DONT DO IT!

Sounds like you bought a great car there! :lol:

We did try to warn you. If you wanted a Lotus, an Elise would have been a much better choice (in reliability terms).

Somehow I suspect that this is only 'round 1' in terms of repairs to this car. It'll probably let you down within a week of getting it back. Whatever you do, don't even think about taking it to the ring. :ph34r:

damn I hope you get it back soon mate :( must be horrible without a car :(

they have any idea when they'll have all the parts to fix it ? or did they actually say next year? :blink:

I look forward to seeing that running one day soon though :)

Unfortunately you know my thoughts on the car but...

Phone Millway - tell them do ONLY what's necessary to get it through the MOT and :censor: the rest. Then get rid next year. Sorry hun but this car will only give you grief and you won't get the money back you'll spend on it when the Millway bill comes through.

You'll also be in the situation that you've spent so much getting the car right, you won't be able to have as much fun with it for fear of something breaking again.

So it's either going to be a very expensive ornament, taken out for a few blats and kept pristine for years to come (the only way you'll make a good profit on it). Or you enjoy it for a short space of time then just try to recoup some of the costs.

You need another car ASAP.

*shrugs. :unsure:

Edited by Charis_Yaris

You can tell she loves it :hokus-pokus: :!Removed!:

Mate are you sure all this stuff actually needs doing????? You know I have a total distrust of garages, I would pop along and ask to see the old clutch cylinders, lines, subframe...

Subframe and front suspension arm??? new???

has it been in a crash?? seem like odd things to replace ona routine tidy up to me...

You're right, I don't like the car. It's because I saw all this coming and it also freaks me out. I wouldn't unjustifiably dislike a car so much if this hadn't been the case and it's not because I want to cause Lee grief or moan for the sake of it. Maybe I'm just too practical for my own good - who knows?? At least I've been honest from the start.

Yes, Charlie that's my point - make sure they're ONLY doing the necessary work to pass the MOT - *unless* you want to keep it for a few years and pay them lots of money to get it back to the best condition possible.

...But I've said all this before :(

It's a Lotus Esprit .. it's a classic car that'll be desirable long after the current batch of Toyota's are long forgotten about.

If you have the cash, get her running proper and then keep her for a while.

Cars a a passion, classics are an expensive passion :)

It's a Lotus Esprit .. it's a classic car that'll be desirable long after the current batch of Toyota's are long forgotten about.

If you have the cash, get her running proper and then keep her for a while.

You're right Ben - but if time and money are issues right now, then what I'm saying is to make this decision is a commitment. If the plan is to keep it long term as a cherished car then all this will pay off, but it will take time and lots more money to come.

If the plan is to flog it next year, then all these repairs and replacement parts may not be necessary in the short term. As Lee has mentioned this may be an option, then I'm basing my advice upon this.

Either way, it looks like the Lotus isn't going to be returned any time soon so getting another car for the meantime/ring isn't really a choice, it's a necessity.

Hope you can see what I'm getting at here :thumbsup:

Whats left to be done on it? And do you think that once you get it up to scratch its going to be reasonable to maintain, e.g. using better quality parts and taking better care of it than originally has been done?

I see what Charis is getting at and I agree with what she's saying... maybe its a woman thing...

IMO Lee, you should get something else asap - its a nice car, dont get me wrong, but if its gonna cost you all this time and money to get it sorted then is it really all worth it? Like Charis said, even if you fix it, whats to say its not going to knacker up again and yet more time and expense... :unsure:

We did try to warn you. If you wanted a Lotus, an Elise would have been a much better choice (in reliability terms).

Elise? :lol: In all honesty i dont trust the k-series rover engine one bit. All my problems are non engine/gearbox related. The Esprit engine doesnt suffer from half the problems the elise engine does.

did they actually say next year?

No, the mechanic is doing the best he can but its the part suppliers who are useless. I've spoken to them myself and they put the italians to shame in being laid back.

Yeah i know but i've always wanted one and a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do :lol:

Too right, but hey i knew what i was getting myself into so i can only blame myself. :help:

Whats left to be done on it?

Not a great deal, all thats needed to get it through the MOT is the headlight lense. So if that comes this week they should have an MOT on it by next week. After that it just needs a full service and a tune up.

Apologies to everyone listening to me moaning :lol: I just needed to vent as its taking so long. Once the car is finished it 'should' remain fault free for the forseeable future as the garage are literally checking 'everything'. Anyway it will all be worth it once i get to drive around in it :D

Yeah i know but i've always wanted one and a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do :lol:

Too right, but hey i knew what i was getting myself into so i can only blame myself. :help:

That's cool, maybe I'm just unclear on what your actual intentions are for this car then?

That's cool, maybe I'm just unclear on what your actual intentions are for this car then?

Dunno, it was an impulse buy. We'll have to wait and see....

Lotus = lots of trouble, usually serious :P

You knew that before you brought it dude, and you still got it :lol: You sir are a man with a Hard on for his motor :thumbsup: Respect

Now sell it and get another car that wont turn into a money pit you trying to fix it :lol::lol:

You knew that before you brought it dude, and you still got it :lol:  You sir are a man with a Hard on for his motor  :thumbsup:  Respect

Cheers dude :thumbsup:

make, just think of the day your lotus is running fine and were laughing over a pint at the problems i have with my TVR ;)

:lol::lol: Your on :thumbsup:

Elise? :lol: In all honesty i dont trust the k-series rover engine one bit. All my problems are non engine/gearbox related. The Esprit engine doesnt suffer from half the problems the elise engine does.

Your engine/box problems will be along soon enough. :lol: What's wrong with the k series engine? :huh: The 4 pot k series is probably one of the best things Rover have engineered in the last 30 years. Lots of other manufacturers used it for 'inspiration'. They did have some issues with the 160 hp version, but that was mostly down to an inadequate cooling system.

Your engine/box problems will be along soon enough.  :lol:  What's wrong with the k series engine?  :huh:  The 4 pot k series is probably one of the best things Rover have engineered in the last 30 years. Lots of other manufacturers used it for 'inspiration'. They did have some issues with the 160 hp version, but that was mostly down to an inadequate cooling system.

My engine problems will start soon will they? your a cheerful chappy arent you <_< (*looks around for the smilie that gives the bird)

The k-series engine is the worst pile of monkey droppings ever. I've never seen an engine that chews up headgaskets faster. Thank god Lotus decided to drop the dead donkey and use the 2zz-ge.

My engine is registering very high compression and runs fine. If there is one thing i pride myself on, its being able to tell a good engine from a bad engine...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links