Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Know Speaker Sizes In A 2

Jinxed

heya :)

just got a maplin catalogue and noticed they doing some cheap Speakers that would suit me in the interim as the ones that are in are terrible. thing is ...i dont know how to get the doors apart and dont want to 'experiment' and potentially break summat so i was hoping someone could briefly run thru whats required in getting to the speaker housings in the doors and...

if someone could reliably state the standard size of the Speakers in an mr2 turbo (L reg) that would be really helpful as i need the car to get the Speakers and its so cold outside i really dont want to have to take the doors apart to find out the size and take the back panel behind the seats out to find the size of those , to have to put it all back, go get speakers and do it again(sorry if i sound lazy ... its just cold and ... ummm )

sooo... i think ive got 4 speakers and no sub. 2 speakers front(1 each door) and 2 speakers behind panel at back of chairs somewhere.

thanks for any input in advance :thumbsup:

incidentally if anyone is looking for just bobbins brand cheap speakers (upto 220w max power(£13 :o )) then maplin might be worth a looky! :yes::thumbsup:

Heya mate,

right well Ive just changed all the audio in my mr2 so I'll let you know what I found out :)

ok well at the moment you should have 4 Speakers up front ( 2 tweeters and 2 mid range thingys ) and behind you there are 2 little Speakers.

ok well I replaced all with this lot which fitted perfectly

17cm components for the doors, 17cm Speakers fit right in mate and I didnt have a problem with the overall size, didn't even have a problem with the magnet which I had read could be a problem but the focals I have fitted right in, even have the crossover box screwed to the door nice and hidden behind the door card :)

right well the tweeters are normal size tweeter jobbies so no need to explain there :)

and the rears are 10cm speakers and are nice and easy to replace if you so wish.

If you are going to amp all this then there are loads of gromits from the front to the inside of the car, I personnally have all my wires going through a massive gromit on the passenger side and its all very neat and tidy :)

as for taking the door card off, its pretty easy :D the fun part is getting it back on :P

basically I think 4 or 5 screws along the sides of the door card and 1 on the car itself, oh and remember to take out the pocket and the window controls first with a flat headed screwdriver or something similiar,

there is a really detailed guide on how to remove the door card which I will try to fish out but hope what Ive said is of help anyhow mate :)

you guys rock :thumbsup: thanks flamby and thanks jerry :yes: im gonna be making good news of all the info starting from tomoz :yes:

gonna see if those Speakers match tonight... get tomoz if suitable .... and then thursday its on :D

cheers guys :yes::thumbsup:

soooo.... went off to maplins and got the Speakers, cost approx 17 quid :D . hit probs straight away :lol: thanks for the door guide... doors come apart straightforward. door Speakers just need a spacer ring ... gonna make from some mdf so those are gonna be sorted easy enough :thumbsup: (old door Speakers - the cones arent even attached anymore to the speaker rims lol - was everything on this car broke? lmao)

was looking to get to the rear speakers last night... cant see how to get the trim away tho... and that guide doesnt help with this as the guy didnt go into rear speakers sadly . anyone have any tips for howto get at the rear speakers? had a go and i know theres some of those clips holding the panel but i cant seem to remove the panel.... seems securely attached at the bottom and backmost edge...

most greatful for any further info :thumbsup: :)

no worries for what Ive said so far mate :) glad its helpful to someone.

ok well the rear was really easy for me, had to unscrew a few things on the panel, not too hard to see the screws though, and then slipped it out from under the seat belt plastic bit that holds it down, so basically it should just come free after a bit of pulling, then its mounted on a bracket just behind it.

ah yeah sorry I forgot to mention about the mdf spacer, I didnt need one as fizz had already drilled into the door to put some new coax ones so my Speakers went straight in.

right sorry if this isnt clear... I hope you'll be able to do it mate and get some sweet audio in there pronto :D :thumbsup:

no worries flamby and thanks for givin some time to this :thumbsup:

got at the rear Speakers ....dont think i detached the trim conventionally tho :lol: same prob with rears...cones completely stuffed, replacements wrong hole positions, really short wires :) made the spacers for the fronts, mounting those at weekend as gotta get some suitable screws, rear ones.... yeeesh. not much room with those so poss gonna screw into whats there after drilling a bit :)

80w for back and 180w for doors.... got some 220w also but those can wait till a later date when i got time to make my cabinets for behind the seats :rolleyes: 13 inch sub, 10 inch woofer, and a 220w 4 way each side is the plan for those :blink: not sure yet where the amps are going but.... looking forward to nice back massages :D :thumbsup:

no problem mate, there was 3 of us doing my mr2 when all my shiny new audio arrived :D

yeah my rears were blown too actually, unplugged them and still trying to decide whether to upgrade or not as the fronts are fantastic anyway.

Sounds like your gonna have alot of power there :D awesome!!!

well Ive got my amp in the front boot mounted in there and IVe been told its a very neat installation by alot of people, I can take a pic if you'd like to see for ideas.

love to see a piccy :)

...have to admit im use to working stereos into much larger cars and ive yet to plan where everythings gonna go. though nothings certain yet and under the bonnet is sounding good i was previously thinking if i could get the amps neatly under the seats without hampering the seat movements i could have heated(kinda :lol: ) seats. thinking under the bonnet on reflection may well be the only appropriate place as... shopping is hard enough with the tiny boot lol gonna be using rs clips also so i can get it all out leaving only wires and back in in like 2 minutes flat at short notice. RS clips are cool :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeah damn forgot to post the pic of my amp lol ... will do it tomorrow :D

Jim Id say go for 2 way components up front or 3 way coax up front if they'll fit, but 2 way components would be absolutly great and if you want more bass to go with your highs and midrange 2 way Speakers then just wack a sub in there and you'll have a quality system :) I think that makes sense ? :huh:

well then mate go with some nice 2 way components for the doors :D hide the cross over box behind the door card, can be very neat and the quality will be fantastic, try and amp the components too as they'll be all the better for it mate.

i agree with flamby. with one addition, finding a space for some woofers also would be good. and the crossovers are essential espescially with amps. you dont want either broke Speakers from innapropriate frequencies fed to the wrong Speakers or messy sound for the same reason. think active xovers are the ones to use with subs unless your amp has sub only option. rest can be done with either ....if i remember rightly. also make sure to check the ohms on your amps, and match the Speakers you get to the correct ohmage, extra care needed depending on how theyre wired serial or parallel also if your going for many many speakers from few feeds :thumbsup:

as for positioning ... tweeters high up, midrange in middle, bass lower in car and subs it really doesnt matter :thumbsup: this is due to higher frequency sounds being more directional than lower frequency sounds... follow this and flambys suggestions and your on a winner :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links