Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Proper Off-roading

sotal

I'm looking at getting an old land rover to do some off roading in.

Does anyone here do any???

I've got a few questions if anyone does or has done :thumbsup:

Mate of mine used to do it in his Hilux. Quite brutal, he lost 3 exhausts and his front bumper over the course of 6months :lol:

That's part of one of the questions I need to ask!

Basically I need to know how wrecked it's going to get! I don't mind it getting wrecked - just need to make provisions for getting it home afterwards :lol:

I used to do it on a regular basis in a Daihatsu fourtrak. It gets very messy, causes mayhem with the brakes especially if you do it in a sand pit. :lol: If you do any wading you`ll probably need a snorkel or be rather careful. Bodywork will inevitably get a few knocks and scratches. But all in all it`s great fun. Especially when peeps in petrol range rovers need pulling out of puddles. :D

This is the before pic. I was too upset to take after ones. :crybaby:

gallery_12498_75_1134735047.jpg

Well he completely knackered the Hilux and last time i spoke to him he bought a Range Rover and trailer to take a suzuki 4x4 there and back on. Dunno if he is still doing this...

I thought you would reply Dak!

Didn't you get a disco to do some off-roading in???

I'm looking at getting an 88" Land Rover 1982ish.

Apparantly there is a quarry near by that all the 4x4's go to - got to check that out yet.

How did you go back and forth?? Did you just drive it there and back??

Some people have told me to just get it MOT'd/Taxed then drive there - have fun - then drive the wreckage back! Other people have said oh no you'll snap drive shafts and all sorts so I would need a trailer to get it back.

Ahhh that Daihatsu is what my mate bought, sorry i thought it was a Suzuki. :)

Yeah drove mostly. Got towed home a few times..... Ooops then. :lol:

The Disco has yet to be christened. Fitting a 2" lift kit at the mo. :thumbsup:

So you think you can get away without a trailer??

My Father-in-law has got a discovery which should be up to the job of towing us back :lol:

The 88 I'm looking at has got all the stuff ready winch etc and looks the part and due to it's age it's cheap! If you go much older they go up in price because you get the free tax.

hiya mate

two of my mates do it both have vitaris at the moment but if u need any info on landrovers these are the men to ask one of them is just finishing his second hybrid what he doesnt know about them aint worth knowing.

i know the quarry you are talking about weston coyney ? great laugh if u need any info i will put u in touch with him he can talk landrovers all day :D

he also has a celica :thumbsup:

Thanks Spotipus,

I think it's the Quarry at Weson Coyney - I'm guessing it's part of Park Hall?

A friend of a friend goes up every weekend so I'm just waiting to have a word with him when I next see him.

Whilst you're on the subject and you seem to know the area so well - do you know of any lock-ups for renting?? I really want something as big as possible up to £150/month for me to share with my father-in-law but a simple lock-up would do! Any ideas - best I've found is tiny ones in Northwood for £30/month

A mate of mine is building a Bowler :D thats pretty brutal!!!!

I used to do it on ATV/Quadbikes...

I was talking to an insurance bloke today who reckoned he could get me classic insurance cheaper but I had to say it's kept in a garage overnight. I said it probably wouldn't be and he told me that if it was stolen they wouldn't pay out, then I realised that the excess is more than the vehicle is worth so it won't matter! So I should be able to say it's garaged to get it cheaper???

am mate has a 80 lightweight landy 3.5 rover V8, seriously jacked up, exhaust system is inside cabin (so it wont get knocked ofF) and comes out where number plate is, he has redone everyhthing and has been using it for 2 years with very few brakages, but he spent the money in the first place.

personally a landy and rover v8 would be the best way to start (swb though)

It's the SWB landy 88 that I was looking at but with the 5 bearing 2 1/4 diesel engine - can go in water then too!

I've got to go have a proper look tomorrow and make my mind up then!

Landys are functional farm vehicles that usuall smell of poo... :P

Bowlers are landys, stripped down, that have the dodgey ladder chassis stiffened up with a welded on rollcage... and an ever lighter fibreglass Shell :D

Landys are functional farm vehicles that usuall smell of poo...  :P

Bowlers are landys, stripped down, that have the dodgey ladder chassis stiffened up with a welded on rollcage... and an ever lighter fibreglass shell :D

this one smells of wee :huh:

will have a little think :blink:

i may know of one will have to see my neighbour

sure he mentioned units to me

maybe i was dreaming but i will get back 2 u if i find one

the quarry ime thinking of is

caverswall lights turn left carry on bout mile and a half turn right follow road to junction and then straight over down a dirt track and your there

its open last sunday of the month but i think its shut till feb march now

my mate with the hybrids running a 3.5 v8 and you need step ladders to get in it :eek:

hope that helps see ya :thumbsup:

Landys are functional farm vehicles that usuall smell of poo...  :P

Bowlers are landys, stripped down, that have the dodgey ladder chassis stiffened up with a welded on rollcage... and an ever lighter fibreglass shell :D

bowler wildcats rock!!!!!! 0-60 in about 4.5 secs for the v8!! and they make them just down the way from me :)

Well I bought the land rover,

Now we are going to strip everything off it, replace the chassis, rebuild the engine - put everything back on but replace the wings and door tops

and we have got a week to do it starting the day after boxing day! :lol: Can a car be built in a week???

Pictures will follow....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links