Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help - Fan Belt Tension

Bobby-H

My fan belt has started making a bit of a noise when I have everything switched on so I'm going to change it.

I dont have a guage to check the tension on the new belt so whats the best alternative method to check it (I dont want to over do it and brake the barings on the alternator).

On other cars I've I could usually check the maximum amount of movement in the middle of the belt, but what should the maximum amount be on this engine?

General rule of thumb here is to fit the belt, then take hold of it at the middle of the longest side between the pulleys and twist it sideways. You should be able to get 1/4 of a turn on the belt. Less and it's far too tight, more and it's slack . It's not exact, but it does the job.

General rule of thumb here is to fit the belt, then take hold of it at the middle of the longest side between the pulleys and twist it sideways. You should be able to get 1/4  of a turn on the belt. Less and it's far too tight, more and it's slack . It's not exact, but it does the job.

Great, cheers.

My fan belt has started making a bit of a noise when I have everything switched on so I'm going to change it.

I dont have a guage to check the tension on the new belt so whats the best alternative method to check it (I dont want to over do it and brake the barings on the alternator).

On other cars I've I could usually check the maximum amount of movement in the middle of the belt, but what should the maximum amount be on this engine?

the mr2 has no fan belt :P

the mr2 has no fan belt :P

Ah, yes, perhaps i should have said alternator belt or auxiliary drive belt :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links