Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are All Mr2 Turbos Twin Turbos?

Billy C

as above :help:

Also I thought Mr2's go upto rev 3, someone please fill me in :blink:

Thanks

Will

OK....

Quick history...

There is no such thing as a standard twin turbo MR2, there is the MR2 Turbo (imported only). It says Twin Cam on the engine which is where a lot of people get confused, if your getting the Twin Turbo bit from Auto Trader (common) they don't know what they are talking about whenb it comes to the 2.

There were 5 revisions of MK2 MR2, few changes between them all although the rev3 and after had the uprated turbo and more power 245BHp stock rather than 225....

Loads more info if needed... What do you need to know :)

Thank you Rhaines, I see you have vast knowledge on the subject of MR2's so I'm gonna be picking your brains in the near future :thumbsup:

Had an MR2 about 2 yrs ago but totalled it, got a run around and will be looking at getting one again soon.

One last thing re suspension, I had a J plate june 92, I believe it WAS a rev 2 with suspension revised. so with the rev3 on did it have any more?

Thanks for the replies peeps :)

Will

Another reason people think they are twin turbos is because the MR2 uses a twin entry turbo.

Another reason people think they are twin turbos is because the MR2 uses a twin entry turbo.

I thought thats what twin turbo was??

Hiya Billy

The Rev3 (1995 - M-reg onwards) had the major suspension mods done to it. I think the Rev2 (the same as your old one) had a few mods done to help problems found on the Rev1. i.e 15" alloys rather than the initial 14's and slightly improved suspension.

This link: M. Canny's MR2 Pages provides very detailed info on the history of the MR2. It's a pity he doesn't own one any more...

I thought thats what twin turbo was??

The 'Twin Entry' bit just means Toyota made an attempt at speeding up the gas flow into the exhaust turbine by adding a small cross-piece into the turbine housing, thus creating 2 inlet ports aimed at the turbine wheel

Hi peeps, thanks for the replys.

Went into a corner carrying too much speed, about 35 40mph, not that much, and wnet into a concrete lamp post.

I think I'm gonna go for a Rev3, if insurance allows maybe a Turbo. Main prob being an import. Even the G limited is pretty much double on the premiums.

Yep I would say ouch to that - just paid £870 fully comp, and that's only because I've started a new policy (moved the old one onto another car)

My insurance cost me £1500 fully comp for a Tbar GT Turbo.... ouch ! :eek:

Hehe, sounds like me, but come on you know its worth it B) :hokus-pokus:

I could buy a brand new car with the monthly payments I'm paying for the MR2 insurance.. lol

i know that feeling!! :censor:

I could buy a brand new car with the monthly payments I'm paying for the MR2 insurance.. lol

Wait till you get your MR2.. the fuel costs compared to your 1.6 Megane will be a bit of a shocker.

As you know, my n/a drinks it like a token drunk auntie at a wedding.

Go easy on the right foot they tell you.... oh... but you cant resist.

• 3 weeks later...

hopefull when i get my REV3 it will be a little drop in fuel comsumtion over my Mk3 Golf VR6.... i got :censor: 8.1 mpg on my way home from work tonight, was tonking it though :P

WHO CAME UP WITH THIS TWIN TURBO :censor: ?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry for being abnormally peeved, but this question boils my blood everytime I hear it. It just really really pushes my buttons... that's all I have to say.

A lot of car mag's not naming any names who don't know what they are talking about advertise it as a twin turbo, people who don't know the car then pick up on this. It's a common misunderstanding.

Thats what the forum is here for clearing up peoples misconceptions so not all that bad....

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked....

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked....

Very philosophical, but i have to say the most stupid question is "if a tree falls in a deserted forest does it make a sound?" Of course it does!!

Wait till you get your MR2.. the fuel costs compared to your 1.6 Megane will be a bit of a shocker.

As you know, my n/a drinks it like a token drunk auntie at a wedding.

Go easy on the right foot they tell you.... oh... but you cant resist.

damn right... it's a thirsty bugger !!

WHO CAME UP WITH THIS TWIN TURBO :censor: ?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry for being abnormally peeved, but this question boils my blood everytime I hear it. It just really really pushes my buttons... that's all I have to say.

I only asked the Q's cos I don't have one, looking to buy one and therefore trying to find out about it.

Its a simple question Dude and if it Pi5535 you off then why look at the post and then go as far as replying?

You don't expect someone who has no idea about the MR2 turbo to know that they ain't twin turbos. Also when you get some shifty salesman saying its a twin turbo 500 bhp blah blah blah what the ***** do you expect???

Thank you rhaines for putting it how it is.

Chucez if you don't have anything good to say then why bother :blink:

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links