Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Get An Mr2 Turbo

toyotaboy

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying an MR2 turbo, i want to get one so i can turn it into a kitcar like a ferrari replica.

The biggest problem is insurance, i am 25 years old, and have only just taken my driving license like 6 months ago. I did drive a 100cc scooter from the age of 17-19. Now i would like to buy a MR2 and drive it around for at least a year before i make the conversion to a replica.

I would like to get a fast MR2 so when i make my ferrari replica it will have the power, but i also want to make sure that an insurance company will insure me.

What suggestions do you have?

I would like to buy any second hand MR2 as long as it's an offocial unmodofied car, i don't mind if it's imported, just has to be right hand drive and official specs.

I am looking fo a 1993 MR2, preferably a turbo. But obviously on a turbo i may not get insured because of the power. I have thought about getting my dad insured on the car and then getting me insuerd as a co driver which would help me getting insured on one.

Also do you think you could tell me, do all MR2 have the engine in the back of the car and the boot in the front of the car?

what are your thoughts

any help much appreciated

many many thanks

Get yourself a few quotes from different companies first (e.g Adrian Flux, Sky Insurance for Jap Imports etc). Just phone up and say you're going to look at a car at the weekend, it's a 1993 K-plate or whatever, and is a UK GTI model or a Japanese Import Turbo GT or GTS (all turbo's are imports unless someone has converted an N/A to turbo). They should quote you (I've never had a problem before). Then at least you know where you stand and can decide whether to go on and buy one or not.

The standard N/A and Turbo's a miles apart on power. About 180 bhp for an N/A (I think) and the 1993 onwards Turbo's were between 245-260 bhp (Pre 93 Turbo's were 220bhp but for under £100 you can up that to 260+bhp without stressing the engine at all). More info here mate: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=12

All MR2's have the engine in the back. The MR bit stands for Midship Runabout.

P.s Mines for sale but is a 91-92 version. http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46931

hello

theres a sticky thread at the top of this forum that explains all the different ones

and id like to deter you from making a ferrari/mr2 i aint seen a good one to date!

and any MR2 driver WILL KNOW you are driving an MR2 and will probably point and laugh! :lol:

but whatever floats ya boat ;)

Hi, thanks for the replys.

Hello TOYMOTA that is one seriously nice car you got, i might be interested in buying it. I wasn't quite sure on the price you wrote '£2600 ovno' what does the ovno mean?

also i cannot access this link you gave me http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=12

when i click on it, it just says access denied only registered users can access this page, and as you can see i am registered other wise i would

not be able to post here.

Is there any other way i can get to the info posted in that link?

Is your car for sale right hand drive?

which country did you import it from?

has there only been one owner?

I think if i can be insured on a mr2, i would be happy to buy your car. i would really look after it. I would most likely drive it for a year or two and then make it into a ferrari replica, well at least when i have more cash for a replica as they can be quite pricey. But yeah i have the money for getting a second hand mr2.

look forward to a reply

kind regards

Hi mate.. 99% of all genuine MR2 turbo's are from Japan and they are ALL right hand drive bud...

mr2oc.co.uk is a different website .. you'd need to register there too.

PLEASE don't make a ferrari kit .. they are shocking, and I will take the ****.

Most Turbo's will be jap imports .. and RHD.

I agree with bibbs on the ferrari kit just spoils a perfectly good car. Definatly go with a Jap import. Instead of wasting money on the kit etc why not buy a mint condition one???

Just an idea

and welcome!!!

The total cost of that you would end up with making the MR2 to a Ferrari replica (that looks good, i assume you don't wanna make one that looks ****ty) is too much to be worth it mate.

with the money you will spend on that, just add a bit more and get a real 355, or 348 instead... that way you get the real ferrari experience, and the MR2 gets to keep it's perfectly good looks!

a 328 or 348 would be cheaper .. and then you have the ferrari sound ..

Not a 2.0, 4 banger .. with a turbo ..

Nothing worse than being a faker .. it's like buying a Gucci watch and then sticking a Breitling sticker on it .. what's wrong with Gucci?

a 328 or 348 would be cheaper .. and then you have the ferrari sound ..

Not a 2.0, 4 banger .. with a turbo ..

Nothing worse than being a faker .. it's like buying a Gucci watch and then sticking a Breitling sticker on it .. what's wrong with Gucci?

exactly my point :thumbsup:

As Bibbs said MR2OC is a different site, so you'll need to sign up to them too. It's free tho!

OVNO = Or Very Near Offer

It's a Jap import, right-hand drive, cos they drive on the correct side of the road like us!

It was imported in '98 I believe. I think I'm the 4th UK owner since then. Most people tend to run em for a year or 2 and then sell em on. I'm running 2 cars at (Pug 306 diesel too) the mo and need to shift the more expensive of the 2.

I have to agree with the rest of the guys on here. The Ferrari kits don't look that good tbh. You can get a nice Veilside or Bomex kit for over half the price of the 355 kit and they look and fit better!

Veilside? Look better? Hell, I'd rather be a Ferrari wannabe .. :lol:

definatly get it from japan, guaranteed no rust, pretty good nick (best to get a 3+ star, 5 star is brand new, 4 star is under 30,000km... once it's over here, you need mot, fogs (you can get one into the bumper or a one haning from the chassis, which is cheap as chips, the documents and a few other bits and bobs. going through sites you will be looking at about 3500 - 4500, i suggest not to pay over that, as i can get my hands on one for about 1600, and 400 shipping, but you need to know someone who has imported before, or knows contacts in japan. If you do manage to find contacts, make sure they have a history, or are looking to make a company of exporting the cars, because if you find a one off seller, you have no possible way of telling how bad the car is, but with a big seller, they dont want their business to be hurt.

the sweet thing about imported cars is they cannot check on the history. fit some "extras" to the car but don't tell the insurance company, just say they were on when i bought it, and i thought it was standard ;) i don't think you will get away with things like a turbo, outrageous bodykit, but you might get away with a sensible exhaust system, and some bling engine mods...

being 19, i've managed to get insurance at the cheapest 2500, my friends paid that for corsas (stupid idiots) that was standard 1992 MR2 GT, with myself as first driver, and someone in my family with 5+ years NCB as second driver, although she wont touch the car at all, it still brought it down a few hundred quid, but if you can get more people with 5+ years NCB to add on, do it, get about 2 or 3 added drivers and it will knock it down quite a bit.

i think where i got my quote from was first direct, using confused.com to check through a few sites.

most of the veilside kits are veilside replica's, i can understand that but i agree that they look pants, they looked nice a while ago but now, nah, but since proper veilside kits are stupidly expensive. the best kit by veilside has to be the fortune supra kit, it is one lovely kit, you wouldn't know it was a supra under there at first glance

If I had it my way, I'd probably go for the Veilside skirts and Bomex bumpers! The front bumper of the Veilside kit is a bit OTT in my book!

most of the veilside kits are veilside replica's, i can understand that but i agree that they look pants, they looked nice a while ago but now, nah, but since proper veilside kits are stupidly expensive. the best kit by veilside has to be the fortune supra kit, it is one lovely kit, you wouldn't know it was a supra under there at first glance

I like that fortune kit, cause it doesn't look like Veilside :)

If I had it my way, I'd probably go for the Veilside skirts and Bomex bumpers! The front bumper of the Veilside kit is a bit OTT in my book!

And not the aptly named 'spoiler'? :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links