Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Really Need Some Help With A Choice

MattTodd

Hello people.

Last year I mulled over buying a celica, and whether or not I should. I ended up buying a 3.2 Jaguar XJ6. Weird how things turn out. I'm now at the point of selling the car, and I'm not sure what to do. I want to either get another one, but a better trimmed 4.0 model, or if I fancy an MR2. What putting me off the jag is the fact that parts are so damn expensive. Apart from that I love everything about it. I'm always a bit more wary about throwing it around, in case something breaks, and I miss that a little.

What I want to know is, how much do you guys spend on your MR2's maintenance wise do you think? Insurance isn't an issue, and I've got up to about £2000 maximum to spend on the vehicle. It will be an everyday car, and I've put 3000 miles on my Jag since 3rd November last year. I would have an MR2 in a flash, if it wasnt for the lack of 4 seats, I'm not sure about that yet. Also, I'd be after a 2.0 non turbo model, as I'm only 19, and I can't get insured on a turbo sadly. What kind of MPG do you get out of these cars then?

Thanks for your help, the Jag is already advertised, so I have to make a decision fairly quickly.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Fella,

So let me get this straight.. you can get insured on a Jag... but not a MR2 Turbo!... :lol:

Anyway.. Maintenace wise, as long as you get a UK car that has FSH and has been looked after then you wont have many problems.

I had my MR2 Turbo for 19 months and it never let me down once. The NA and Turbo engiens are solid as a rock if maintained properly. (as in regular oil changes filter etc as with any car)

MPG... Now the Turbo model got me barley 20mpg with average driving... putting my foot down was another matter all together. The NA is a bit better... I think about 25mpg.. but i am sure someone will correct me on that. :yes:

Hope that helps..

Fizz

hello matt. have you tried getting a 3rd party quote will bell insurance. im only 21 with 1 year no claim and i got a pretty good deal. could be worth a try,ive also got a few points. might be worth a try for the turbo?

bell where like a grand or even 2 grand cheaper than every other company

hello matt. have you tried getting a 3rd party quote will bell insurance. im only 21 with 1 year no claim and i got a pretty good deal. could be worth a try,ive also got a few points. might be worth a try for the turbo?

bell where like a grand or even 2 grand cheaper than every other company

Hey,

It's the fact that it's a turbo. Wherever you get a quote, I get, all drivers must be 21 or over. :( Otherwise that would have been great fun. Is that all I'm going to get mileage wise? I get 19mpg out of my Jag, that 3.2 instead of a 2.0, and it weighs 4075lbs, and its automatic! Surely I'm going to get better than that.

Matt

Surely I'm going to get better than that.

Matt

ummm dont think so :huh: could even be significantly worse :help: someone correct me if im wrong lol

its a lot of fun tho killing the ozone layer :thumbsup::lol:

Your Jag prob has a great big dirty V8 or something which will slug anlong and drink fuel. :angry:

A 2 is a 'sports' car, and so will drink fuel also, :blink:

But I can gaunrentee that you will get more looks in a 2, than a big ar5e Jag. :thumbsup: it'll be much more fun !

If you by one, you wont regret it, and then when you are 21, youll just want a tubby !!.

Your Jag prob has a great big dirty V8 or something which will slug anlong and drink fuel. :angry:

A 2 is a 'sports' car, and so will drink fuel also, :blink:

But I can gaunrentee that you will get more looks in a 2, than a big ar5e Jag. :thumbsup: it'll be much more fun !

If you by one, you wont regret it, and then when you are 21, youll just want a tubby !!.

Lol, well the Jag doesnt hang about, it's a 3.2 litre straight six, not great to 60, about 8-9 seconds flat out, but 40-70mph is fantastic. Not sure about the 2 yet, think it will depend on whether I can get the right one. I've mailed Rash at R.A, to see whats involved in him sourcing one, and taking the jag as a part ex, if he fancies it.

Have to admit, the idea of a T-Bar for the summer is quite appealing....

Matt

Matt,

MR2 any day of the week! And you'll need a Turbo if you're used to the torque of a 3.2 XJ6!

I used to have the same insurance problem with anything I wanted to buy... Now I'm 22 things have got substantially easier - about £1000 on MR2 Turbo Fully comp 3yrsNCB. When I was 18 I insured a Mazda MX5 (through my Ma, as they wouldn't touch me) through Tesco. This gave me, as a named driver NCB in my own right (not sure how many ins. co.s do this for named drivers???) Not sure of your circumstances or whether this would be a viable option for you?

For competitive prices, try elephant.co.uk, bell.co.uk tesco, direct line.

For numerous quotes try www.confused.com - this searches many companies for the best price... allegedly... may be with a look though!

The drive of the Turbo 2 will be very different to the Jag... more akin to driving a speed boat than a 42' luxury yacht... However the driving experience will more than make up for the reduction in comfort and practicality. If you look to get the import model (all Turbos are imports but not all imports are Turbos), many of the features you will be accustomed to in the Jag are more likely to be present than the UK model (a/c etc).

Hope I could be of assistance!

Good Luck!

Graham.

When I was 18 I insured a Mazda MX5 (through my Ma, as they wouldn't touch me) through Tesco.

through ya ma, does she like dags !? :D

......is it me or do other ppl think this also.......i think jags are UGLY and neither do i like that jag that looks like an old mans boring rover car Mr2 anytime specially mk3 i get cool looks with mine..P.P.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links