Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Punctured Tyre

Penelope Pitstop

Today i came home and found i had a puncture,,boo hoo,,,,so ihave had my "wheelbarrow wheel" put on,,,,,,If the puncture is not repairable,,,what type of tyres are on my car (new shape mr2 ) and if i cant get away with having it repaired what am i likely to pay for the same tyre new ?????? :help::crybaby:

Front tyres on mine are 1855/55x15

Rear tyres on mine are 225/45x16

Both are Yokohama Advan A-043.. front tyres = around £70 and rears will be around £105

....Bah.......does the usuall tyre places carry these tyres as standard??? or will i have to go to Toyota ?????and would you know it REAR wheel,,,but how uncool am i gunna look tomorrow ????that yellow spare wheel will deffo get me arrested by the fashion police tomorrow,,,cringe ,,cringe :!Removed!: :wacko:

:lol::lol:

Most normal tyre places will have, or can order these tyres in for you.. no need to go to toyota :thumbsup:

fashion-police-cartoon-2-copyright2.gif

.......u know what bugs me about punctures coz i am a girlie they fob you off saying ou need a new tyre when maybe it could be repaired,,,,so i have a funny feeling they gonna say "new tyre please"....bah

Front tyres on mine are 1855/55x15

Rear tyres on mine are 225/45x16

Wow... :eek:

Thought I'd seen your car around... ;) :D

cfc1.jpg

OK.. if its a nail or screw and its on the tread.. at least 1" from the shoilder.. and there is no damage to the inside of the tyre (little bits of wire poking through where the nail/screw went in) then i would say that 90% of the time they ARE repairable (I am a tyrefitter btw.. dunno if you knew) If however, you have ran over glass then it is possible that the tyre won't be repairable , as glass can cause a lot more damage than a nail or screw. On some occasions it is posible to fit an inner tube.. even if it is a tubeless tyre... but, sadly, in this case (if your tyres are the same size as mentioned above) it's not permitted to tube these sizes (only 60 series tyres and above can have inner tubes fitted)

If you are told you need a new tyre, and think they are taking you for a ride going by what i've just told you..

Tyre Repairs

Tyre repairs should only be carried out by specially trained personnel using professional equipment.

It is important to remember before any tyre can be repaired, it must be checked thoroughly to ensure it is suitable for repair. Ensure that you check for the following:

* Legal tread depth (UK car: 1.6mm across central 3/4 of the tyre tread throughout the entire circumference)

* Run-flat damage

* Secondary damage - caused by the injuring object

* Ageing/deterioration of tyre rubber

* Bead damage

* Exposed cords

* Faulty/poor previous repairs

If the tyre has experienced any of the above, it should not be repaired. The above list is not exhaustive. Inspection is vital and the use of common sense - if you have doubts about whether or not a tyre should be repaired, do not repair it.

Tyre repairs are covered under British Standard BS AU 159f and below is an excerpt from this standard showing some of the limitations that apply regarding the area in which a tyre can be repaired (known as the "T" area) and size / number of repairs:

tyre-repairs1.gif

The repairable area T is defined as a percentage of the tyres nominal section width and is dependant on the type and size of the tyre

tyre-repairs2.gif

This chart to the left shows the percentage of the T area for different size/types of tyres

In your case PP as the width of the tyre is 225mm.. the puncture on the tyre must be within the central 157.5mm of the tread... any further than 78.5mm from the centre, and it's too close to the edge to repair.

tyre-repairs3.gif

This chart shows the limitations that apply to the number of repairs allowed to a tyre and also the limitation on the size of the injury

If you can learn some of this.. then maybe the place you take the tyre will think that you know excactly what you are talking about,, and you could be less likely to get stung.

Hope it helps

Davy

EDIT: some of the laws included in this quote have changed slightly.. but don't really affect your problem

.........never mind lol at the steam roller ...its the wrong colour!!!!!!and what you know puncture in side of tyre so its a new Bridgestone tyre for me at a cool £110.00. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:......as for you jesus kick a gal when shes down,,however me and me mates thought that steamroller would be the same age as your car....oooo scratch scratch P.P.

.......thanks to all for your advice ,,,specially cfc1.....lurve the picture of the fashion police blowin the whistle,,,only just realised what it was he he he,,,,,,,anyway staying in coz i cant be seen driving around with a yellow wheel on,,its just not done,,,,,,,,i mean the colour clashes for a start.......... :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

Your welcome.. happy to help when i can.. which is not very often, but i try :lol:

.........never mind lol at the steam roller ...its the wrong colour!!!!!!......as for you jesus kick a gal when shes down,,however me and me mates thought that steamroller would be the same age as your car....oooo scratch scratch P.P.

:D

In case you hadn't picked it up, the dig was at Davy for saying his front tyres were nearly 2 metres wide... not at your car. Thought one of you or your mates might have seen that... not all blonde are we? :P ;)

Steam roller's probably newer than mine.

Hope you get it sorted either way.

Actually Jesus.. my front tyres are only 1.855 metres wide.. i couldn't get the 60J wheels on the front without the aid of a spacer to prevent them catching on the calipers.. so the 2 metre tyres are on hold :lol:

and if you were gold you would be saving money on tyres right now ;)

.........yep we sure are blonde,,how did you guess ,,,,,,,really though it did feel like i was driving on metal like that ,,,well i was and i dont know how long i was driving round with the puncture,,,one thing for sure you could have fried eggs on that tyre when i checked it out back at home,,,it was sooooo hot.... :ffs:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links