Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Overboosting Issue.... Easy To Fix?

Jimlad

Ok...

Someone seems to think that my cars overboosting issue could be a bent or stuck actuator. I actually have an uprated actuator from fensport, so I would be suprised if this was the case... but you never know!!

Anyone know how easy it would be to remove the actuator to have a look at it? What should I be looking for??

Want to get the boost issue fixed.

thanks

By overboosting do you mean hitting fuel cut???????

You don't per chance have a n SAFC do you????

I've got a Dastek Unichip which controls the boost. Should hit 1.1 and stay there. Now just flys past and keeps on going if I allow it to.

Someone said I could have a bent/stucj actuator.

Sounds poss.

Stiff / stuck actuator, not opening the wastegate, so the boost can never be dropped ?!

The chip is pos trying to open the gate, but its just not moving.

To remove, normaly there are two small nuts on the back of the actuator, which attach it to the mount, undo them and it should then just be left attached to the wastegate with the arm. normaly just a circlip on upratted ones, pop that off then the actuators off.

can you pull it (the arm) when its off ?

does it look bent ?(remember, i think stock arms are bent, so be carefull)

also garages can attach a pump to the actuator intake (where the vacume pipe goes) and pump up and see what pressure it opens at !

if it is stuck... what can be done??

I did have it in the garage getting something else done and I asked him to quickly pump the actuator to see what happens. It didn't move tho. But he did do a very rushed job with it.

Also how easy is it to disconnect the actuator from the wastegate and reconnect it?

1st test is can you pull the arm ! But if a garage has pumped it already, well sounds dubiouse :huh:

The rounded part is what contains the spring,(this will be the issue area) and the arm is pushed aginst the spring when the air pressure is raised. This is obviously what connects to your wastegate(the arm). try and pull the arm, you SHOULD be able to, you will just be pulling against a spring.

If you can't, and there is no way it will move, then id say its knakerd, then the wastegate would never open, and boost will just be able to climb, and climb. :eek:

Upratted actuators sometime allow you to change the spring (for different boost levels without a boost controler) so you might be able to take it appart :D

gettign the arm of the wastegate is sometime a bit fiddly, but with no cat, its loads easier. theres just a circlip around the pin on the wastegate which goeas over the arm! (have to be under the car for best view and access. :thumbsup:

took mine off, and on, and off, and on as its adjsutable, and I kept going up and down the road, taking it of, and setting the preload.

its not a difficult job

its bleeding awkward though just due to it being in an mr2!

I tried moving the actuator yesterday by hand (still on car) and i couldn't move it at all.

I think the problem is defo the actuator or possibly a seized wastegate.

I think i'll have another go at moving it and possibly removing it.

If it is seized, can it be sprayed with wd40 to get it moving again or will this damage it?

My garage said if it was seized it would be able to move and fix it somehow (dunno how)... lol.

Rico... should jack car up at some point and get under neath to take it off. I assume if you can get to the actuator side that connects to the wastegate, should be able to clear wastegate if it's blocked with crap.

gettign the arm of the wastegate is sometime a bit fiddly, but with no cat, its loads easier. theres just a circlip around the pin on the wastegate which goeas over the arm! (have to be under the car for best view and access. :thumbsup:

took mine off, and on, and off, and on as its adjsutable, and I kept going up and down the road, taking it of, and setting the preload.

Is it pretty easy to get to if the car is jacked up/on axle stands?? Easy to see etc?

If you cant move the arm on the actuator, then id defo say the actuator is knakered, or the wastegate is jamed shut.

I got my car up on (reversed on) to ramps, loads of room to get in and see what your doing.

If your gonna get it up on ramps, pop off the circlip from the wastegate, then pull the arm off the wastegate.

try to move the arm now, and the waste gate, then you should be able to see which is jamed !

If its the actuator, just get a new one, if its the wastegate, thats a bit more tricky, as this is part of the turbo (exhaust housing), the only other way to look at the wastegate is to get the downpipe off !

when putting back on id recomend doing up the bolts a minimum amount, so the actuators still loose, then get the arm back on the wastegate, and then do up the actuatro properly !

Cheers buddy!! Was hoping you were gonna reply soon!!

We'll be using a trolley jack etc... won't be as accessable... but should still do the trick.

For some reason my garage reckon they can fix the actuator if it's stuck. If it is stuck, I'll just take it along to them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links