Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does Water Have A Taste?

Jimlad

This is a bit of a random question, but I'm currently having this conversation with the girlfreind!... lol

Does water have a taste or is it tasteless?? I thought maybe it did have a taste, but that was because of the chemicals in it... but water from a river/stream etc has a taste.

Anyone?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaxx

• Bibbs

• Caz SR

• Al J

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. It has a taste even if it is river/stream water but it will only have that taste because of the minerals it has picked up from the rocks it has passed through or over.

Pure water doesn't have a taste because there is nothing in it to taste of anything. Our four taste areas (on our tongue) are sweet, salt, sour and bitter. Pure water contains nothing to affect them so it, er tastes differently. ;)

if it has not taste then what ur tasteing is nothing so u tatsed that it has no taste, so it has a tatse

Sort of, yeah! In the same way that if your eyes are closed you see nothing. In effect, you are sensing an absence of taste. That's it, I'm confusing myself now. I'm off to bed! :P

It tases of oil doesn't it???????

as Al says, it tastes as nothing because there is nothing to stimulate the taste buds, unless it has something mixed in that will stimulate them ;)

it has a taste = go without for 2 weeks in the sun, you'll soon find out .

it has a taste = go without for 2 weeks in the sun, you'll soon find out .

You cant go without water for that long :blink:

drink gnt's in between then.

You can taste whether or not you have any water in your mouth, therefore it must have a taste.

Paul.

You can taste whether or not you have any water in your mouth, therefore it must have a taste.

Paul.

But isn't that more the sensation of the liquid?

Agreed with Al :thumbsup:

Water has a taste because of the various contaminants, be it chemicals (tap water), minerals (spring water), or a muddy taste (natural water). Even rain water has a taste because of pollutants. Hence why some people can drink tap water, others despise it. Also why some types of mineral water are preferred to others.

The only way to produce 'tasteless' water is to remove these contaminants under controlled circumstances. A difficult job to do I should imagine!

as Al & Caz says...

pure H2O has nothing to stimulate the taste buds...

But, bottled water has additives to make it taste appealing, tap water has fluride (sp?) in it, which gives it a flavor..

etc, etc...

Yeah, as far as I know pure water has no taste but most water we come into contact with is not pure & has some other minerals/chemicals in which we taste. Al's analargy about when you close your eyes was good til he confused himself.

If you close your eyes, put some water on your on your tongue, can you tell it's water?

Yes, therefore it has a taste :D

Paul.

Pure water, you can sense it, via temperature and pressure (the same way you'd be able to with your fingers), but thats not a taste sense. Therefore it has no taste.

Pure water, you can sense it, via temperature and pressure (the same way you'd be able to with your fingers), but thats not a taste sense. Therefore it has no taste.

But isn't that more the sensation of the liquid?

I'm with ya on that :thumbsup:

To me it tastes of hydrogenated oxygen.

Water does have a taste, but it's not a strong one ..

Ah but does Oxygen have a taste? Would two elements that had no taste, mixed together = taste?

Where's my DK Fact Book.... :bookworm: Haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links