Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Carina E 1995 1.6 Problem. Help Please?

clank1969

Hi,

I have a 10 year old Toyota Carina E with the most frustrating problem I've ever known.

Basically she starts fine and then will drive 2 or 3 miles etc to the shops for example. I'll then be half way through driving home and it will start misfiring when i'm in 4th, so i change to third and it does the same thing. Its then a real struggle to chug home. On 2 occasions i've not made it.

The infuriating thing is the next day its fine until i've stopped, left it a while and got back in. On the way back from Tescos tonight for example it did it again.

My local Toyota garage have replaced the EFI coolant sensor, rotor arm, distributor cap, HT lead set, and oxygen/lean burn sensor.

I've added a bottle of SPT petrol burn off in case there was cack in the petrol tank.

Its passed their diagnostics test on their laptop and they now dont have any more ideas apart from clearing the whole petrol tank and the petrol filter. But surely the misfiring would happen straight away if there was cack in the tank/pipe?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be please? Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

cheers, Clank.

it would seem to me that it's heat related, that's why it doesn't do it the next day. Possibly something expanding slightly and causing a leak or loss of pressure somewhere. This would be almost impossible to detect from cold though. Presumably your mechanics checked the car out when it was up to temperature and misfiring. If they didn't then you're just throwing good money after bad as they change all the usual suspects in the hope that they cure the problem.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but it's all I can suggest towards it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links