Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Restoring Cars

RossP

I'm looking at buying an MGB Roadster with chrome bumpers in the next 4-5 months then bring it over to Cyprus and restore it. This will be the first time i've done anything like this. I know there's a likely hood of there being rust on a car that will be this old, and that the engine will probably need a good rebuild. What would i be looking at replacing in the engine, and if anyone knows, what are the bad things to look for regarding rust?

Cheers,

Ross

well rust...

its british

its spent a long time in wet manky weather

its an MG!

its more than likely gonna be rusty, and if its for resotration then no doubt itll be rusty

at the end of the day a restoration can take many thousands of pounds and consume alot of your spare time, you can go as far as a nut and bolt component rebuild and swap and change any parts along the way that are now in a state of oxidation. Thats the best way to combat the rust.

As for the engine, they are pretty simple carb setups and a good base for a novice to have a go at. To get it to full glory and as long as its in good nick, then again, a full rebuild inside and out, remeber special tools come into play when working on engines though as that can be another costly item

lol, Yep I know it's bound to have rust, what i really meant was the floor. The panels, if I see any are starting to rust, the they'll be changed, but it's the floor that worries me the most. Spose it's one of those things really that you have to see when it's been stripped back to bare metal

Don't worry too much about panels for the MGB's. All of the metalwork is readily available ( and fairly reasonably priced too ).

With cars that age ( certainly with the MGs ) chances are you'll need to do the floor and the sills. Not a massive job to replace floor pans though.

The engine is a doddle though. Very straight forward.

The best advice I could give is to join the MG owners club when you get it. This opens up a world of cheap parts/insurance and no end of advice.

As you may well have picked up, I'm trying to restore a 2CV at the moment. Nothing fancy, just an E-reg one I picked up for £200 but despite only having a small patch of rust in the floor (a common fault) once I started removing bits its just got worse and worse. I now have more brown than paint colour :rolleyes:

The other thing is to make sure you have somewhere to store it. I agreed to buy mine in a bit of a beer and fatigue haze and didn't completely think it through. Sadly that means that the only council lockup I could get is about 25 miles away - hardly ideal.

The best advice of all would be to join the MG Owners club or similar. They will doubtless have guides of what to look for and what to expect - I know 2CVGB are really helpful and you'll be joining the biggest car club in the world (yes, bigger even than TOC!)

Good luck!

Alan

Rust Rust Rust!!!!!!!!!!

There will be PLENTY!!!!!!!!

I would advise start watching American hot rod :D

Rust Rust Rust!!!!!!!!!!

There will be PLENTY!!!!!!!!

I would advise start watching American hot rod :D

Take a leaf from Roy's book, and bash the crud outta everything!

:D

......But only after sitting looking at it for half a day almost totally motionless..... :D

You asked so heres a list from one I did earlier. (I actually gave a mate a hand with his cause the volume of welding was depressing)

Outer cills, inner cills, various bits of floor pan, Inner wing, front chasis legs and cross member, landing panel. New wings refurb doors and rear arches both outer and inner. some welding in the boot too. The Bulk Head did not need welding :thumbsup:

Well I won't be doing the welding in anycase, I'll be getting someone else to do it as I don't have a clue!! But spose i'd have nothing to lose to try to learn to do some. Looks like it could be a lot of work if I get a ropey one..

I'm in the process of buying a mk1 MR2 for £300 to restore, wither that or strip it out and race it! loads of rust.........but a hell of alot of fun along the way! enjoy!

Oh and yeah, definately get along to the MG owners club!

Michael.

REminds me of the book of crap cars... something about the MG owners club and hanging out with beardied anoracks that talk about rebuilding a gearbox using only their teeth :D

Micheal, You'll love the Mk1!!!! I got one after owning two mk2s and though it was way more fun!!! Not faster, but more fun..

Micheal, You'll love the Mk1!!!! I got one after owning two mk2s and though it was way more fun!!! Not faster, but more fun..

first 1.6 ive drove that can rocket to 70mph in 2nd :lol:

Are they all that fast or is it just that car??? I did seem abnormally fast for a 1.6!!!! I want a supercharger :D

Are they all that fast or is it just that car??? I did seem abnormally fast for a 1.6!!!! I want a supercharger :D

lord knows, but 2nd is quite awesome espcially when it hits around 4k and that TVIS thingy opens up, it pulls like a steam train the goes off like a rocket, the supercharger would just be lairy as fudge! i keep telling her :D i really do

lord knows, but 2nd is quite awesome espcially when it hits around 4k and that TVIS thingy opens up, it pulls like a steam train the goes off like a rocket, the supercharger would just be lairy as fudge! i keep telling her :D i really do

Yes he does! :rolleyes: :P

but what i keep pointing out is that its lairy as fudge anyway! For a 1.6 its a !Removed! menace! :D

Anyway back to original post - restoring a car is probably one of the most testing things you will ever do, but one of the most rewarding! It will strain your pockets and your patience but its so much fun!

Ive never learnt so much as i have rebuilding the fez - its awesome!

dont let a bit of rust put you off - if you wanna do then go for it (then cry to us lot when you cant find the parts you need or cant get something to fit :D :lol: )

yeah but a late spec supercharger lump and a few mods = 200bhp

and youll be leaving crap like Focus RS ASBO things behind and for dead :wheelchair:

in a 1988 MR2 :clap:

sorry back on que................ :D

yeah but a late spec supercharger lump and a few mods = 200bhp

and youll be leaving crap like Focus RS ASBO things behind and for dead :wheelchair:

in a 1988 MR2 :clap:

sorry back on que................ :D

Ha LOL, superb!

Back on topik If you are handy then buy a mig welder and an angle grinder. Start practicing with some old panes using the best of the old panels. Once you get the hang of it get onto the job. you can only get better and you can grind down the ugly stuff!

Sorry guys, off topic again, Sod the Supercharger if your gonna do it, do it properly.............Just drop a !Removed! 3SGTE in it. 300bhp...Leave everything behind!!!!!

Nope the 3S-GTE is too heavy.. it would ruin the finely balanced AW11 handling ;)

I looked into it at one point then decided a V8 supra would be more me!!!

I did have a very detailed how too guide for doing the 3S -> AW-11 swap... but I have lost the link.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links