Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Uk Na, Diy Radiator Change Help!

Andy Christou

Hi Guys,

need some help here.

took my car to TOyotas this monring for a Service A and have a look at the raidator as it was leaking.

anyway, the guy calls me back £413 for new radiator, £530 for new sumpo for oil leak etc etc.

i think i've done the right decision and told them not to do anything apart from the service (it looks usless now) and try change the radiator myself.

found the below on eBay, not sure though what is the length of the core size (670 or 672mm, doesnt sound as too much of a difference i think). oh my car is a 1993 UK NA Rev 2 by the way.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

my plan is change it myself and take it back to Toyota for a coolant flush and a quick check, basically will cost me less than half the price.

I've managed to get some instructions, i've never been a "mechanic" or a "hands on approach" type of guy.

from 1-10, how difficult would u say the job is?

anything tricky to look out for?

Cheers guys.

I wouldn't say it was that difficult mate... more fiddly than anything else!! (just like everything on the mr2)

I would imagine that you would be able to get a second hand one from a breakers cheaper than that and should do the trick.

I did mine over the weekend. It took me 20 minutes to get the thing out, and the main problem was the bolts that hold on the black plastic cover under the car all broke off. A few grazed knuckles later the new one was back in. 2hrs overall. Easy enough job, but not enough room in the space that the radiator sits in. I'm quite good but have never pretended to be a mechanic so if I can do it, i should think anyone with some knowhow would be able to. Shout if you need any pointers as it it still fresh in my memory. Good luck.

there was a thread on this reicently .. soeak to rogue systems regarding a new rad ..

Cheers guys,

radiator arrived yesterday from Rogue systems.

Off to buy some antefreeze from toyotas tomorrow and get cracking over the weekend.

any ideas how many litres will i need, am sure a few litres will go wasted after the long process trying to take the air out after

Also any sensors i should be careful with, or any other parts apart from the plastic cover underneath?

Cheers again guys.

Take the top plastic cover off and then remove the fans ..

Undo the clips on the rubber hoses (my hoses were welded onto the rad)

Undo the top mounts and leaver the thing out.

fitting is the opposite of removal

Make sure the rubber hoses are back on proper when done, one of mine popped off @ 70 on the M'way the next day :(

And it takes a LOT of coolant .. something like 7 litres, but I went through about 5 times that trying to get rid of air locks.

Hi guys,

thanks for all the help.

Radiator now changed. what a mission though.

biggest problem was to take the rubber hoses off the pipes. the only way we managed to get them off, was my mate standing on top of the radiator jumping up and down to make it drop underneath.

Didn't want to go through the same process with the new one so i cheated and used some grease ;)

Not much room to work on is there

Right, with the coolant, i only bothered bleeding the heating bit in the middle where the Battery is, and the bottom one on the radiator, couldn't find the one at the back near the engine. its all sealed up underneath there.

My concern is i emptied around 3ltrs (due to leaks probably lost the rest), but i only filled in around 4.5ltrs. need to check again today if its thirsty.

oh, and i broke one the clips for the tray underneat. oh well.

Thanks again guys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links