Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Help!

Raver too

Hi all, new to this club. Had a Rav4 (98 model) for just under a year now. Had no problems. Still have none really- took it early for it's 4th MOT now due in a couple of days and it passed with flying colours - except the lights. Well the passenger light didn't seem to bother the tester but the drivers side headlight had it's beam going off at too much of a tangent for his liking. His conclusion - 'Go away and fit british lights. These must be Continental ones'

I rang toyota who checked my chassis code etc. No, my car is UK spec(not import). There was a hint the lights could have the sweep set up for the continent - but not too sure. How come it passed all previous yet failed this test.

Anyone have any ideas? I have rung around - only Toyota would do them at £100 each not inc VAT.

Cheers

Hi,

Have been an MOT tester for 20 years (recently retired) and tested a few cars in that time. One point which may interest you is that many "headlamp alignment" problems can be due to a faulty bulb especially after market cheepies and 100w upgrades. The reflector inside the bulb distorts and dipped beam (which is the testable item) falls outside the limits on beam tester.

A bulb not correctly located in holder is also common.

After 25 years with Ford garage I am now a confirmed RAV 4 fan.

Hi,

Have been an MOT tester for 20 years (recently retired) and tested a few cars in that time. One point which may interest you is that many "headlamp alignment" problems can be due to a faulty bulb especially after market cheepies and 100w upgrades. The reflector inside the bulb distorts and dipped beam (which is the testable item) falls outside the limits on beam tester.

A bulb not correctly located in holder is also common.

After 25 years with Ford garage I am now a confirmed RAV 4 fan.

What a small world, i'm also an ex-MOT tester ( 1982-1996 ) :D , i was also going to suggest a faulty bulb or badly fitted bulb, pitty the tester didn't give you the chance to buy a bulb from him first :angry: .

Cheers Guys

Guess I just went to the wrong garage.

I'll have to fiddle around with bulbs- any recommendations of a brands to use / or types of main bulb would be appreciated as I have booked in with another garage in a few days.

Thanks again

Hello again guys

Been for 2nd MOT - and even though I have UK car with UK headlights (Toyota salesman oppinion!)

the beam on both lights definitely does go off at a tangent to the drivers side/offside

But - at least this garage were fair in my options, either replace headlights (£100 each not inc VAT) and with Tax bill about to go in post this is not good! or I can use a deflector, one that will stick on and dip the hightcurve in the beam. A cheaper alternative and they will help set up the hight of the stickons.

Just gotta find some now!

Thanks for any advice though.

Hello again guys

Been for 2nd MOT - and even though I have UK car with UK headlights (Toyota salesman oppinion!)

the beam on both lights definitely does go off at a tangent to the drivers side/offside

But - at least this garage were fair in my options, either replace headlights (£100 each not inc VAT) and with Tax bill about to go in post this is not good! or I can use a deflector, one that will stick on and dip the hightcurve in the beam. A cheaper alternative and they will help set up the hight of the stickons.

Just gotta find some now!

Thanks for any advice though.

Sound like a couple of 2nd hand headlamps will do the job, look up " Find a part " they check with breakers up and down the uk for what your after...good luck.

Thanks for idea.

Already contacted a few online search part finders, and tried auto suppliers. About to either give up or order from Toyota when a friend of a friend said he'd be able to get me a stick on pair of beam convertors/deflectors (euro - UK type) which I thought were impossible to obtain in UK now.

The garage will accept and even help me fit them to headlight, should get me MOT then and can get some headlights in my own time. I'll even get to keep these as spares not that I should think negatively.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel - or just someone with a torch!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links