Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unsure How To Change Pads, Please Help!

podgey

hi, i really need to change the rear pads on my rev 2, as they are making a horrible noise now, i had the wheel off, but couldnt figure out how to do do it. if some one could give me pictures and a detailed guide, it would be great, as im a complete novice at this sort of thing. also is the disc meant to move about when the wheel is off? :blink:

many thanks

p

Right, you need a caliper piston rewinder...I tried this without one, and its near impossible !!...buy one, you wont regret it, mine was £10 !

The disc can move when the wheel is of, dont worry...the wheel nuts hold the discs and he wheel in place !

Right, jack her up, get the wheel off.

on the top and bottom of the caliper you will see somebolts (on the inside / back side)

2 of these hold the caliper onto the hub. (and are quite big heads)

2 of these are going through both parts of the caliper (these are longer, but thinner, and have smaller heads).

you will notice that these have like a rubber cover over a length of them (as the caliper actually slides along these)

undo these, (the smaller 2 only) and the centre part of the caliper can be pulled down.

now the pads can be removed, and use the caliper re-winder to push the pistons back in. (undo cap on reservoir under front hood)

new pads in, caliper back on, do up the too bolts, wheel on, job done

take a look at photo 8 (8 down) on here, you can see the two rubber tubed bits im talking about at the top and bottom of the caliper (there the bits that have the bolts through, and need to be undone

a garage will do em for not much more than the price of the tool you will need mate.i'm sure the handbrake works from the rear pads in the caliper also , there are some things you need to do to make sure the handbrake still works like keeping that lever with the spring on pushed back so be carefull. these calipers are a nightmare with the handbrake when they go wrong .i'd personnally go to a garage if you arn't 100% capable of doing the job.

a tip...

when youve done, make sure your on level ground.. pull on handbrake, release handbrake, pump pedal three times, repeat 4 more times.

this helps to 're-datum' the handbrake screws on the pistons

yes the disc does move, we found that out when doing robs- nearly dropped it!

Tip -screw one of the wheel nuts back on loosely to stop it falling off :)

ok thanks guys, great photos boundsw! thankyou for replying.. i think one caliper is seized so i might take it to the garage as it sounds a bit hard for a novice. how much will they charge to sort handbrake not working, supply and fit a new caliper, and fit new pads? thankyou once again! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links