Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pc Help

Carrera_C

Right, I've got a strange problem here....

got 4 systems connected to my router (2 wired, 2 wireless).

Whenever I turn on my desktop PC (wired connection) all system loose there connection to the internet, including my desktop PC. It's network activity light goes like the clappers but doesn't get through to anything. If I unplug the network cable or shutdown the PC, the other systems get the internet back.

I tried doing a complete format and reinstall of XP and it's the exact same. Then tried running a live CD of linux and again it was the same. So I figure this rules out software.

I then tried changing the network card and guess what, same thing again! :ffs:

I just can't figure it out, any ideas???

Could be a duff cable or port on the router?

Try swapping the port on the router with the one you know works and if that doesn't fix it swap the cables over too :)

As above go through a process of elimination.

Unplug everything first and just try the desktop, try a different cable that you know works, try a different router port etc until you get the desktop working. Then worry about the others

is your router doing DHCP and providing IP addresses Ad Hoc..

have you set your desktop up to recieve IP via DHCP?

Yes it's setup for DHCP.

Try swapping the port on the router with the one you know works and if that doesn't fix it swap the cables over too :)

The same cable and port work fine with my laptop so it's not that either.

As I said this is odd, I'm trying to think if the motherboard could cause it, could the chipset breaking cause the NIC to broadcast crap across the network that would be bringing it down?

Oh and I've tried different PCI slots for the NIC as well, no joy again.

I just can't figure it out, any ideas???

IP address conflict?

If it's not that, use a packet sniffer to see what is going backwards and forwards (Ethereal).

Paul.

is your router doing DHCP and providing IP addresses Ad Hoc..

have you set your desktop up to recieve IP via DHCP?

Yes it's setup for DHCP.

The same cable and port work fine with my laptop so it's not that either.

As I said this is odd, I'm trying to think if the motherboard could cause it, could the chipset breaking cause the NIC to broadcast crap across the network that would be bringing it down?

Oh and I've tried different PCI slots for the NIC as well, no joy again.

Do as I said and try the Desktop PC on it's own!

That will eliminate IP address conflicts etc, unless you've put the same IP in as the router, but that's a quick thing to check.

I can't see it being the motherboard myself, although I have heard of strange things happening when the motherboard puts out too much Voltage, but that normally involves things dieing when you plug them in

Cheers guys,

I'll try it on it's own when I get home, if that doesn't work I'll try out the packet sniffing, see if I can see what's going where.

Ok, I've removed all other systems from the network and renewed the faulty systems IP address, it did seem to get through to the internet for a second but quickly returned to it broken state.

Oh, discovered a few extra things tho, all the systems can see each other and can ping each other and external websites, just can't browse to them.

So I'm still clueless as to what's causing this.

hmm ..... I once had the same problem and it was due to a conflict of IP address. I know you have said that it isn't but how about setting up each pc with a fixed IP?

Also what did you use to network up the machines - windows networking wizard?

Are they all XP machines?

And turn off ALL firewalls until you get it sorted - XP firewall and thirdparty :thumbsup: !

Setup a shared folder with full read/write permissions and make sure they are all in the same 'workgroup'

And finally ..... it could be the router ready for the bin? - have you upgraded the firmware?

hmm ..... I once had the same problem and it was due to a conflict of IP address. I know you have said that it isn't but how about setting up each pc with a fixed IP?

Also what did you use to network up the machines - windows networking wizard?

Are they all XP machines?

And turn off ALL firewalls until you get it sorted - XP firewall and thirdparty :thumbsup: !

Setup a shared folder with full read/write permissions and make sure they are all in the same 'workgroup'

And finally ..... it could be the router ready for the bin? - have you upgraded the firmware?

you dont need to have the same workgroup

Tried fixed IP - Same Problem.

They're all XP Pro.

I networked them myself, just set it all up manually.

And as I said it's not really a workgroup problem as the all see each other and can ping each other and the internet (this proves hardware functionality) So I have no idea what could be causing it.

I will try reinstalling windows again, just to make sure that it's not a virus that somehow re-infected it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links