Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Import Us Highlander Or Rav 4 To Uk

trevorhighlander

Hi,

I am living in the USA and will be returning home to London in July this year. I am currently driving the excellent Highlander. I would love to ship the car back to the UK in July but Toyota tell me they could not maintain it because they do not stock any parts for the Highlander. Does anyone know of any company or means to maintain the car or is it really a no go idea?

My other option is to trade in the Highlander and buy the new Rav4 and ship that. Has anyone driven a LHD in the UK any comments most welcome.

I look forward to any helpful advice.

regards

Trevor

Hi

Toyota UK dealerships can source any parts from any Toyota on the planet as long as the vehicle isnt too old that its parts are discontinued.

There are many garages i know of that would gladly undertake any work you need to have done to the vehicle.

I see no reason why you couldn't bring it back over (Except that you will need an SVA and a model report).

Best of Luck :thumbsup:

Hi

Toyota UK dealerships can source any parts from any Toyota on the planet as long as the vehicle isnt too old that its parts are discontinued.

There are many garages i know of that would gladly undertake any work you need to have done to the vehicle.

I see no reason why you couldn't bring it back over (Except that you will need an SVA and a model report).

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply.

Could you pass on the garages so i could contact them. Toyota in Sidcup told me they couldn't support the car, I thought they were able to source from all of toyota like you suggest.

What is a SVA and a model report?

The car is a year old in April so the parts would be available.

I'd imagine its expensive to convert the car to a RHD?

Thank you

regards

Trevor

Not sure, but this might be handy... DVLA Permanent Import to the UK

Can't see LHD being a problem. Probably just be a bit freaky for you at first! Just like it was for me in France in a RHD... But then, that was in France! ;) I see a couple of cars most mornings on my way to work that are both LHD and one of them has been doing the same route as me for three years.

Cheers,

Jim :thumbsup:

Coxon Suzuki in Henley On Thames will service it.

You can go into ANY Toyota Dealer and order parts for it no matter what the fool on the phone says to you :lol:

SVA is a test that all imported vehicles must go through if they are less than 10years old.

Once the car has been looked over and a certificate issued you can MOT and Tax the vehicle and use it.

A model report is needed to SVA a vehicle, this provides the garage doing the SVA with the information on the car.

If a model report is not available to you in the UK then you may have to have one created which is mega expensive. But once you have created it you can rent it out at a cost to other people wanting to import the same car :yes:

Coxon Suzuki in Henley On Thames will service it.

You can go into ANY Toyota Dealer and order parts for it no matter what the fool on the phone says to you :lol:

SVA is a test that all imported vehicles must go through if they are less than 10years old.

Once the car has been looked over and a certificate issued you can MOT and Tax the vehicle and use it.

A model report is needed to SVA a vehicle, this provides the garage doing the SVA with the information on the car.

If a model report is not available to you in the UK then you may have to have one created which is mega expensive. But once you have created it you can rent it out at a cost to other people wanting to import the same car :yes:

Thank for your help really appreciated.

Can I get a model report from the Toyota garage over here in America?

I guess parts will take a bit longer to get hold of and I will have to pay the shipping. Other than that the car could run on British soil. Great news.

Thank you

Parts shouldnt take any longer than normal, but you will have to get a model report done over here :thumbsup:

Parts shouldnt take any longer than normal, but you will have to get a model report done over here :thumbsup:

Hi again,

I've spoken to another Toyota dealer, which is part of the same chain as before and they say they can service and fix it. I must have spoken to the wrong person before.

I've been in touch with a Model Report web site and they've told me that because the car is a LHD and for personal use I don't need to get a model report. Now that would be good news, but is this true?

I wait for the truth to be told :-)

Thank you once again.

Trevor

IMPORTING A VEHICLE

A vehicle which is permanently imported for use in Great Britain must be registered and licensed as soon as possible after it arrives in this country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed. However, if the vehicle needs to have an SVA (see section A "Type Approval") or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place. Application for registration should be made to your nearest DVLA Local Office. N.B It is not possible to offer an 'over the counter service'; registration usually takes between 48 to 72 hours.

A "brand new" vehicle can be driven to GB and registered as "new" provided the vehicle:

is registered in GB quickly after collection - this is taken to be 14 days but may be extended to one calendar month at peak periods (e.g. prior to 1st March and 1st September)

Only have reasonable delivery mileage and

* Not have been previously "permanently" registered.

N.B. UK law requires a vehicle to be UK licenced and registered for road use. To avoid difficulties, importers are advised to transport, rather than drive their vehicles from the port to home or first destination and to keep them off the road until they have been properly licenced and registered.

For most new vehicles you must present evidence of Type Approval from the supplier or vehicle manufacturer, usually in the form of a Certificate of Conformity. If the vehicle has not been subject to Type Approval it must pass a Single Approval (SVA) Test.

VEHICLE REGISTRATION

The following documents will need to be submitted to the DVLA Local Office. (N.B. photocopies are NOT acceptable).

Completed application form V55/4* (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles).

A £38 registration fee (if applicable).

# The required fee for the licence.

A current British certificate of insurance.

Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle.

Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier).

Evidence of type approval.

The appropriate Customs and Excise form.

A current British MOT test certificate (if applicable).

A Declaration of Newness V267 (if applicable). The V267 is also available from the DVLA Local Office.

Documentation confirming your name and address (view acceptable documentation)

*The V55/4 form has been introduced to distinguish between new and used vehicles coming forward for registration.

# Please make cheques, postal orders payable to "DVLA Swansea" or "Driver and Vehicle licensing Agency".

Registration and licensing will not take place unless you have the necessary documentation. In some cases the DVLA Local Office may wish to see the vehicle to check its identity.

Source

Looks like as long as you can pass an SVA then you're in!

Oh- hang on...

VEHICLES IMPORTED FROM OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION

C& E 386 - This form is issued by Customs & Excise for a vehicle of any age personally imported from outside the EU.

C & E 388 - This form is issued by Customs & Excise for a Customs restricted vehicle of any age personally imported from outside the EU.

C & E 389 - This is a self-declaration form which should be used by VAT registered traders for commercial imports from outside the EU.

BFG 414 - This form is issued to all Customs relieved vehicles, irrespective of age, which have been personally acquired within the EU by British Forces Germany personnel.

For further advice on import duty and tax contact HM Customs & Excise Advice Service on 0845 0109000.

...but that it to do with payment of Duty and VAT. Its probably a good idea to give them a ring.

HTH,

Alan

You'll need a model report to be able to have the SVA done. ;)

Has anyone driven a LHD in the UK any comments most welcome.

Our T-Sport is LHD as it's Belgian and Yves (who is another TOC Member on here) regularly comes across with it. I've driven it in Belgium & here and it's not that awkward, I just kept hitting my left hand on the door where I was used to the gearstick being on the left :lol: It's like with most things, you get better with practice. I've seen a few others around in the past and they've never given cause for concern.

Hope it all goes well whatever you decide :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links