Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Comp Geeks In The House

Chuck04

Good morning all,

The girlfriend has a toshiba laptop, yesterday i turned it on to get some files off it across our home network. Altho the power supply was in i failed to notice that it wasnt actually turned on, so couple hours later it shuts off due to lack of Battery. Come to use again in the evening, turn back on, it got to the intial start up point with the toshiba logo against the black backdrop and nothing- jams. So we have to restart it, ever since this point tho it now doesnt come up, it goes to start up but the screen never comes on.

My orginial thoughts were that there must be an error within the screen, but now i notice that during start up the lights on her wireless card usual come on, but dont now, so now im thinking that maybe its jamming as soon as it tries to start up.. anyone else had any simular problems or possibly shed some light on the situtation

Charlie

Chuck,

If you are running win xp try hitting the F8 key when starting up and see if it will let you start in safemode. If it does let it start in safe mode and then rebboot.

Hope this works :thumbsup:

Sooty

just tried, but nothing!!

literally as i hold down the power button for it to come on u hear it start up but nothing at all comes on the screen

Try unpugging from the mains and remove the Battery. then plug in the mains and see if that allows it to start

dude - ur a legend :D

unplugged the Battery as u suggested and just used the mains and it now started up, how strange tho, so would it be the Battery causing it to jam maybe because it was soo low, if so - wouoldnt it have just run off the mains like it is now regardless if batter was in or not

Does it have a 'memory upgrade slot' if so i would open up the laptop and check for ram or cards which have slighty popped out.

Good luck :)

Seems a bit strange that the Battery would stop the screen from lighting, I know that in some Dell laptops the same circuit is used to light the screen that charges the Battery.

Try different combo's of Battery only - Batt & AC - AC only, see what happens. If it only fails with Batt & AC, try connecting an external monitor to it, if it still works without anything appearing on the Laptops LCD, then you may have a motherboard fault.

Glad that cured it!

Leave the Battery on charge overnight and try it with ac/battery.

If the batt is too low it takes all power from ac

Yes and your Battery may have reached the end of its useful life. How old is the computer? I've got one old machine that has got a Battery that won't hold a charge no matter how long you leave it charging for.

Yes and your battery may have reached the end of its useful life. How old is the computer? I've got one old machine that has got a battery that won't hold a charge no matter how long you leave it charging for.

Yep same here ..... 4 year old laptop used as a main pc with heavy use.

I get around 30 minutes from mine - now it's always plugged in.

Removing the Battery on Toshiba laptops and others is what they call a 'Quick Reset'.

It resets some of the functions like the screen, touch-pad, Speakers and USB ports. It doesn't affect any changes by the user, just the basic program on the hardware.

So I was told by a toshiba engineer anyway! (My touch-pad broke and this was their solution... worked!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links