Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Mr2

SyCelicaGT

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in the MR2 section being a Celica owner 'n all, so go easy on me!

I have a good friend of mine who is looking to go from the world of shoddy fiat puntos (actully, perhaps shoddy is a little harsh as I like the way it looks) into the high quality world of Toyota :D, and he is thinking mk2 MR2 (my personal fav shape MR2)

Which MR2 model (non turbo) would be the one to go for and which year? I know they changed the rear lights in the 2nd or 3rd revision which year is this? And is this the best model to go for? He has about 6K ish to spend I am sure he can pick up a mint example for that kind of cash. :help:

Also what should he and I be looking out for when we go to buy one? Are there any common faults?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I could not see the info in the Sticky's section.

Any comments welcome except Celica bashing!!! :angry:

Cheers,

Sy.

**edit

Hiya. Just out of interest, why is your friend particularly looking for an NA?

If he has £6k to spend, he could get a gorgeous tubby. :thumbsup:

If you look at the "revision" guide in the stickies. HERE ..

Defo go for rev2+ (esp coming from a punto) due to the suspension/brakes. The lights can be retro fitted.

Or just buy my Turbo :)

Cheers Bibbs,

I would have thought rev 5 would be best, no?

Which revision is the best one then, is there a clear winner? In other words if you had to pick one MR2 model (non turbo) which wasn't your own car which one would be the one to go for?

I think the one with the late spec, high spoiler & round rear lights is the best looking model. Which rev is this one? Also there are loads of abriviations after alot of MR2's like Tbar (obviously the glass roof one) GTS etc... which model is the daddy!? (non turbo)

Cheers for the info, it's like a MR2 minefield out there with all those revisions!

There are 4 cars that are NA.

There will be two main cars you'll see .. the 'G-limited' and the 'GTi-16' .. the 'GT' and 'GT-S' are both turbo. but to confuse you, a lot of people call the 'GTi-16' a 'GT' ..

The G-Limited and the GTi-16 are the same, but the first is an import.

As long as it's not an FE engine (poor 120bhp thing) you'll be fine.

I'd go for the newest I could. NA's the rev2's are quicker (the rev3's are heavier) but I don't like the early spoiler, or infact the later spoiler either. I like the rev5, and a few aftermarket.

If you go import, you can get half leather and AC as standard.

AC on UK cars was an expensive option. But all UK t-bars were full leather.

Thanks Bibbs, I will pass these comments on. You are a wealth of knowledge, cheers.

I have sent my mate a link to this thread so if anyone is selling let us know a price & pics or PM me and we will consider it. He lives near Weybridge (South M25)

also what am I to look out for in the MR2 with faults if I look at a few on autotrader?

Hiya,

Not much really I can add to Ben's extensive knowledge ;) hehe.. Fault wise... you want to check out the MR2 buyers guide on IMOC www.imoc.co.uk/forums great bit of information over there (for all things MR2 related really)...

I own a 1993 rev2 GTi-16 T-bar... fantastic little car... the whole rear lights things as Ben said can be retro fitted to look like a later rev... but personally I like my lights lol

rev5 were the last revision for MR2s, which only truely finished production a few years ago, so there are still some fantastic looking girls out there. With 6k you have a lot of range... either get a mint rev2 or 3 NA... and have cash left over for any insurance or modifications etc... or as aforementioned you can get a nice rev3 tubby for around 6k too. The other would be to get a rev4 or 5... but there would be less money left over in the pot..

The 'stunners' that come straight to mind are the Zircon Blue form the rev2 range.... Caribbean Blue from the rev3+ and the Cosmic Blue... rev5 (poss 4 too but im not sure.. and I think they only made this as a UK Car... so no tubbys unless a conversion).... any one of these are great looking cars if your friend is out for something a little different, and have great road presence :thumbsup:

Good luck for them in buying tho... and tell them to get on here of course lol..

Considering I picke dmy car up for less than half what your friend has.... she has been a fantastic little girl... sound engine and pretty good bodywork... its allowed me to spend time on her getting her mechanically sound... and also moving on to bodywork-sound... before I start doing anything else too serious ;)

You get a MK3 or should that be MK£.. then all you do is look for the sun :)

I'm sure the MK2 owners will get you sorted out on what to buy.. but get a T-Bar.. its a must.

for your budget, i would be looking at a nice rev5 na example with t-bar roof and leathers. if you want to save a few k get a rev3 and attach the updated spoiler which costs about £200.

they are pretty bullet proof cars so just look out for normal issues like with any other car i.e knocks and rattles on start up, suspension knocks, handling at speed, blue or black smoke when pushng it hard etc.

hi guys just looked through the replys and most of you go for a rev 2/3...i have now owned a 1991 mark 2 gti t-bar(rev 1)for a week now and ive got to say its the best car ive had for the money previously owned 206 gti,merc cossie 2.3 190e...both cost me an arm and a leg to run and insure..but my insurance it stupidly low car a group 16 mr2 so until i upgrade to a rev 2/3/4 im happy ps is a rev 1 that bad to be seen in...(not going to be snubbed by fellow 2/3 owners then)lol

To be honest i would go for the turbo aswell - for that budget, why not? :huh:

If i had £6k to spend you might aswell - i think i would be itching for more power after a while (of course ive already driven a turbo so i know what the difference is)- you might aswell start with something with a kick rather than change your mind and swop it later

If id had £4k to spend on a supercharger mk1 when i was looking for mine - i would defo have had one instead of the NA :thumbsup:

is a rev 1 that bad to be seen in...(not going to be snubbed by fellow 2/3 owners then)lol

Not at all lol... infact rev1 and rev2 are similar in looks... :) most peeps wouldnt be able to tell the difference... i think the main differences were between suspension n stuff.. (stuff ya dont see on outside lol)

not going to be snubbed by fellow 2/3 owners then

As long as the pony 14" wheels are gone and you do something about the dodgy brakes and suspension (no it's not driver focused, it's cr@p).

As JJ said, all the cars are so similar. But at the end mine almost stopped looking like an MR2.

Not at all lol... infact rev1 and rev2 are similar in looks... :) most peeps wouldnt be able to tell the difference... i think the main differences were between suspension n stuff.. (stuff ya dont see on outside lol)

The 14" wheels and the lack of a front lip are the first clues. Then the 50p sized brake disks and then "hedge backwards" suspension.

How much are you looking at for beams engined rev5 MR?

CB :thumbsup:

I belever there were about 1000 of them made .. and it was a JDM only thing. So you'd more than likely have to import one if you can find one. Have a looks at.

www.mr2-direct-imports.com

or

www.neweraimports.com

they usually have/had a few in stock.

Or look at the for sales on IMOC.co.uk or MR2OC.co.uk

But they are a premium.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links