Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Double Yellow Line Regulations?

kingdeacon

I got a parking ticket for parking on double yellow lines, the lines i parked on did not have a yellow T line at the end so therefor does not meet the regulations that double yellow lines have to, to be a legal vaild line. I know its petty but dont see why i should pay a fine when they have not meet the regulations them selfs. does anyone know where i could find the rules and regs on yellow lines? as it will help me if i can quote what a line has to be to be vaild.

here is a pic of the line, which shows it not having the end line across

DSC00250.jpg

the lines have to be completed with a line from the outer line to the kerb via the inner line

u may have a case, good luck

I did a quick search and found this:

Linkage

Where it does have this quoted on it:

Are yellow lines legal if they don't have a T-bar (as above) where they end?

In accordance with the traffic engineer's bible - Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions - yellow lines must have a T-bar where they terminate or change from double to single or vice versa. If the T-bar is missing then the line is not legal and, therefore, not enforceable. T-bars are not required where a yellow line meets a parking bay or zebra crossing as bays and crossings effectively sit on top of the yellow line.

HTH?

It looks like it used to be a single yellow line that has been changed to double yellows and not finished - if it were me, I'd fight it - the worst that can happen is you get told to bugger off - but strictly speaking, you should never park on double yellows anyway, regardless of whether they are closed off or not!

May aswell give it a go :yes: i remember seeing a tv program ages ago about this sort of thing, one guy was getting away with it everytime! :thumbsup:

They also have to be complete from one end to the other i.e if there are sections missing from wear and tear

I'd appeal it.

Defnitely appeal that one. The percentage of parking ticket appeals that are upheld is surprisingly high.

And next time, don't park on double yellow lines.

just FYI...

my dad told me about this kinda thing a while ago, he knew a guy from work who appealed against a parking ticket with those exact same conditions. He got off it pretty easily, as the law is black and white.. no T bar (or even if the line is broken at some point - i.e. where theyve repaired a bit of the road and not joined the lines backup etc) = not a double yellow line. petty yes but perfectly valid argument.

(they may have caught on to it by now tho, and have some kind of discretion to allow tickets to be valid. dunno. but i doubt it, the law cant be vague, or messed around with easily)

Let us know how you get on, that would mean that I can park outside the house, the double line is not terminated, it has several missing sections and the lines are thinner than other road markings.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links