Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Don't Forget...

Gnome

http://ruiner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/howclose.mpg

Hits the point home.

It happened to me a couple of years back on the way home from work.

Luckily, I was only doin 20mph at the time, and managed to bring the bike down to nearly stopped by the time I hit the car driver's door, with the back end of the bike in the air. :eek:

I agree that people should look out for bikers, but unfortunately i believe bikers ask for accidents to happen most of the time.

Im always sitting in queues up the A404 towards Wycombe and there are always bikers wizzing up the inside between cars or undertaking in stupidly small gaps.

Have had many arguements with bikers after they have clipper my mirror etc.

Just thought i'd point out that bikers are just as bad as car drivers :thumbsup:

[rant mode off] :lol:

I agree that people should look out for bikers, but unfortunately i believe bikers ask for accidents to happen most of the time.

Im always sitting in queues up the A404 towards Wycombe and there are always bikers wizzing up the inside between cars or undertaking in stupidly small gaps.

Have had many arguements with bikers after they have clipper my mirror etc.

Just thought i'd point out that bikers are just as bad as car drivers :thumbsup:

[rant mode off] :lol:

Not all of us are like that :angry:

I drive very carefully, I've never clipped a wing mirror and would rather take 5 minutes longer to get to work rather than risk my life

But car drivers can really pee me off, obviously not all but some espicially when they don't look in their wing mirrors when overtaking, they leave such a small gap that they don't have time to look over their shoulder and in the wing mirror

But car drivers can really pee me off, obviously not all but some espicially when they don't look in their wing mirrors when overtaking, they leave such a small gap that they don't have time to look over their shoulder and in the wing mirror

I agree, there are so many people out there that just simply CANNOT DRIVE. Usually women who are either too old to be driving, to short to see properly over the wheel or too occupied with the kids in the back to realise what they are doing.

I think people should be made to retake their driving tests every 20 years to make sure they are still fit to drive :yes:

I agree, there are so many people out there that just simply CANNOT DRIVE. Usually women between the ages of 30-60 (i mean no offence to women in that bracket but i say it as i see it).

Lee that's out of order. How can you make sweeping generalisations like that? <_<

Apologies, i have edited my post to be more specific about what i mean. :thumbsup:

I think people should be made to retake their driving tests every 20 years to make sure they are still fit to drive :yes:

I agree, especially OAP's, the old guy that drove into the back of me could hardly walk let alone drive! Even the cop that attended the accident asked him if he thought it was sensible to still be driving! :eek:

i think bikers, like car drivers, come in all sorts...

the safe sensible, the skilled, the lunatics, the idiots, and the 'got their license off a cornflake packet'...

and im sorry - but why should i have to consider if an idiot on a crotch rocket decides to overtake at a point where it obviously isnt safe...

I always check behind me before manovering - but ive nearly collected idiot bikers who overtake on bends, junctions, and come belting up at 3 times the speed of the cars its overtaking... and im usually very considerate to them (always leaving enough space to get past if i see them behind me etc) but the way some of them ride, its no wonder there are so many accidents...

and you might not like that, but its the truth...

i think bikers, like car drivers, come in all sorts...

the safe sensible, the skilled, the lunatics, the idiots, and the 'got their license off a cornflake packet'...

Agreed - you get some complete a___holes in cars and on bikes but people shouldn't generalise.

and im sorry - but why should i have to consider if an idiot on a crotch rocket decides to overtake at a point where it obviously isnt safe...

I always check behind me before manovering - but ive nearly collected idiot bikers who overtake on bends, junctions, and come belting up at 3 times the speed of the cars its overtaking... and im usually very considerate to them (always leaving enough space to get past if i see them behind me etc) but the way some of them ride, its no wonder there are so many accidents...

I wasn't meaning in dangerous places, I never overtake on double white lines or on bends, but quite often when out on a country road you will be sitting behind a line of traffic doing 40mph, so when you get on a nice straight you just want to go into the right lane and within a second you can be doing 70mph so you can easily zip past all the cars and carry on, but you can never do this because most of the cars in the line won't look in their mirrors when they overtake so you have to go past each one, one at a time. It's just one of the things that annoys me! When I first past my test I ended up nearly on the pavement overtaking a car that suddenly started overtaking the car that I was overtaking :blink:

I wasn't meaning in dangerous places, I never overtake on double white lines or on bends, but quite often when out on a country road you will be sitting behind a line of traffic doing 40mph, so when you get on a nice straight you just want to go into the right lane and within a second you can be doing 70mph so you can easily zip past all the cars and carry on, but you can never do this because most of the cars in the line won't look in their mirrors when they overtake so you have to go past each one, one at a time. It's just one of the things that annoys me! When I first past my test I ended up nearly on the pavement overtaking a car that suddenly started overtaking the car that I was overtaking :blink:

right...

but say your in your car, behind a tractor - pull onto a straight, and as you pull out to overtake a car from 6 cars back nearly takes your front end off because he was too impatient to wait his turn - whos in the wrong there?

why just because your on a bike does it mean you have priority?

If you are the first to overtake and you have your RH indicator on then you have priority. Until you slap your LH indicator on to mesh with the rest of the line, people should wait for you really, whether you driving a car or a riding a bike. Unless they're a good way away from you.

Just like to add... I've never seen a "Think Moped..." campaign. Wonder why? ;)

Edit: Linky - Some interesting bits in there that I've forgotten! ;). Although the decent hing would be to wait for each person in turn to overtake the caravan as it makes everybody's job a bit a easier but unfortunately, you tend to get one or two who don't seem to mind going at half the speed limit and bunch up behind the original slow moving vehicle. So, people nowadays don't take the chance of that happening and tend to overtake as soon as they can (or think they can) clear all the vehicles in the queue. And a bike is easily better equipped for this task.

right...

but say your in your car, behind a tractor - pull onto a straight, and as you pull out to overtake a car from 6 cars back nearly takes your front end off because he was too impatient to wait his turn - whos in the wrong there?

why just because your on a bike does it mean you have priority?

Yes the bike does have priority. Bike Indicates and moves across then starts going down, if the car wants to overtake then it should indicate, check mirrors and shoulders then look to pull out, 9 times out of 10 you will see that the drivers head doesn't even move they see the gap ahead and just swing out. Bikers just have to ride as though everybody in a car is going to drive at them and the majority of the time they do.

your so wrong there sotal - the bike doesnt have priority...

but, there in lies my point - so many bikes think they are in the right when they are in the wrong, its no wonder there are so many accidents..

I'm not saying it has priority because it's a bike, if it was car it would have priority.

It's where it is that counts, using your example of following a tractor, if the person at the back is impatient and decides to overtake the whole lot then he has priority as he moved out first if the others want to overtake then they MUST check that it is clear, if they do not check and the person from the back takes out their front end then it will be there fault for not checking.

Remember the first lessons - mirror-signal-maneuver??

From your response it sounds like you must be one of the careless car drivers who doesn't know what they are doing on the roads <_< I just hope I never have the displeasure of driving near you

no - if you read my orginal statement - i said the car driver moves out as he pulls onto a straight - so anyone setting off sooner, is doing so on a corner (based on being further back) and therefore unsafe, and possibly not visible to the first driver.. ( i had invisioned they both pull out at the same time - but as you know, a bike would accelerate faster, but i admit that wasnt clear)

yes, in your scenario, if a car of bike sets off overtaking a row of traffic, then it has priority, i wasnt arguing that - but that wasnt my example...

and no, im not one of those drivers, I know exactly what im doing, as i said, i always double check, and yes, ive been a biker, but strangely, i never came close to being knocked off - cant think why... perhaps its because i knew what i was doing then, and didnt think i ruled the road...

but at least i know what sort of biker you are sotal - and your the type that gives all bikers a bad name ;)

If you go back and read my statement before your example I was talking about nice long clear stretches of road where if they checked their mirrors there would be no problem. I have no problem if they move out when it is safe, that obviously causes no problem unless the driver at the rear is blind because they would so them do that safely.

I'm talking about as you are passing them.

I would just like to clear my name and say that I believe I am a very safe rider on my bike. I have got a completely clean licence and I have never been knocked off by another driver. The time I talked about earlier was when I had first passed my test, I was already overtaking the car so it WAS NOT SAFE for them to pull out, and I used my skill to avoid a collision.

I rarely overtake whilst on my bike and only if it is very safe, it's actually part of the reason I have my bike up for sale as I am always far too cautious these days and end up stressing too much about everybody else on the road that I don't enjoy riding anymore.

If you notice I said "it sounds like" before saying what type of driver you were - I didn't say you were.

Where as you said you "I know what sort of biker you are" - How can you know this?? Have you ever seen me ride or are you just an arrogant git that goes round trying to win arguements and make themself look better than everyone else? You've upset far too many people on this forum even to the point of some wanting to leave because of you. Does this make you happy?? Do you go to bed at the end of the day thinking "he he I've upset x amount of people today"???

Anyway I'm tired so I'll leave you to it now but think what you want - I couldn't care less what you think about me - Just think about checking your mirrors next time you overtake :thumbsup:

I'm not going to get into the generalisations and what not about bikers....

The fact is, I always look out for them - that and cyclists - they're easy to miss and that advert, although shocking, is a harsh reminder of what can happen to anyone.

I'm not going to get into the generalisations and what not about bikers....

The fact is, I always look out for them - that and cyclists - they're easy to miss and that advert, although shocking, is a harsh reminder of what can happen to anyone.

That's the best thing to do - Keep your eyes peeled :thumbsup:

If you go back and read my statement before your example I was talking about nice long clear stretches of road where if they checked their mirrors there would be no problem. I have no problem if they move out when it is safe, that obviously causes no problem unless the driver at the rear is blind because they would so them do that safely.

I'm talking about as you are passing them.

I would just like to clear my name and say that I believe I am a very safe rider on my bike. I have got a completely clean licence and I have never been knocked off by another driver. The time I talked about earlier was when I had first passed my test, I was already overtaking the car so it WAS NOT SAFE for them to pull out, and I used my skill to avoid a collision.

I rarely overtake whilst on my bike and only if it is very safe, it's actually part of the reason I have my bike up for sale as I am always far too cautious these days and end up stressing too much about everybody else on the road that I don't enjoy riding anymore.

If you notice I said "it sounds like" before saying what type of driver you were - I didn't say you were.

Where as you said you "I know what sort of biker you are" - How can you know this?? Have you ever seen me ride or are you just an arrogant git that goes round trying to win arguements and make themself look better than everyone else? You've upset far too many people on this forum even to the point of some wanting to leave because of you. Does this make you happy?? Do you go to bed at the end of the day thinking "he he I've upset x amount of people today"???

now now - you started with the 'personel' comments, so dont get all boo-hoo about me retaliating..

and yes, perhaps i was a little harsh, as i dont know how you ride, but your last post sounds like your a lot more sensible than some of your previous posts suggested, so dont get all riled up about it...

as for your last comment - I havent made anyone 'want to leave' (check your facts before throwing that one around ;) ), yes im opinionated, and yes, i share those opinions like everyone else - but guess what, its a forum, people have different opinions - get over it...

anyway...

i do have a deal of respect for bikers even though i think you have to be insane to ride one

i do tend to give them room though, if i see a sports bike of sorts behind me i pull a bit closer to the kirb and allow them room to get past, this normally gestures with a thumbs up from said biker in a term of mutual respect

its the plebs on them naff 50cc scooters hanging onto my spoiler that gets on my nerves.... JUST when you want the exhaust to flame and it doesnt!

its the plebs on them naff 50cc scooters hanging onto my spoiler that gets on my nerves.... JUST when you want the exhaust to flame and it doesnt!

:laughing: :laughing:

Spot on! Apart from the flame bit because i only have 118bhp :D

I must admit i had some close calls with bikes over takeing from several cars back and im indicating to turn right and just about brake and checked the mirrors and then checked again and there is a bike overtaking and if i hand not have checked for the second time we would have contact;

But in that situation i know where id rather be, in the car; ive had a go on a bike a couple of times and i just didnt feel safe at all and i felt exposed and all i could think of is that in the event of an accident i have protection but thats only my own opinion

Scorching!

I know when I am driving the bike I do act like everyone is out to get me and you know some days I think they are. What gets me is in traffic. Very heavy slow flow eg a 1 mile tail back to a major junction onthe motorway. You got you headlights on and still drivers wont move to allow you to get by. Cause they are stuck in cars or vans they simply refuse to let the biker through !!!!!

Oh when I drive the car (most fo the time) I also act like everyone is out to get me, and yep have a positive count of close attempts on both car and bike!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links