Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pace Drivers On The Motorway

Fidgits

This is a fantastic idea, with only one HUGE drawback.

3 cars all doing 70 in formation in all the lanes - to pace the traffic. It's only a matter of time till one of them hits one of the more major pieces of debris that are scattered all over the highway and has to stop. The others will have to follow suit to maintain the formation...........huge traffic jam.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MIP

• Fidgits

• jaxx

• Bibbs

Top Posters In This Topic

these sad gits wont be happy until they have forced us all to drive in a bio degradable bubble pulled by an arthritic sheep

its a shame that these idiots arent able to pull there heads out of their asses for five minutes and actually look at our motorway traffic :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

if they hadnt replaced all the motorway police with those pretty yellow boxes that take nice pictures of your car (but then charge you lots of pennies for it :censor: and you dont even get a frame for the picture :wacko: )

if the motorway police were still around they could pull over all the middle lane hoggers take them into an adjacent field shoot them (its bio degradable apart from the lead in the bullet)

burn all their cars re possess their homes transport all their relatives to a penal colony in antactica.

oh yeah and put 3 points on their driving licence !!

hey presto no more congestion !!!!!

i will be applying for the transport ministers job on monday week :thumbsup:

also have an idea about replacing speed humps with civil servants

but i will wait for my initial plan to be implemented before taking a more radical course of action :lol:

any donations gratefully accepted to my campaign costs

NO !Removed! EUROS :ffs:

Haven't read all the posts, but what's quite funny is my company vehicle is fitted with a speed restrictor set bang-on 70MPH. Outside overtaking is fun... :huh: Especially when idiots you overtaking speed up and you can't get passed. Annoys the bejezuz out of people cought up behind :lol:

This is a fantastic idea, with only one HUGE drawback.

3 cars all doing 70 in formation in all the lanes - to pace the traffic. It's only a matter of time till one of them hits one of the more major pieces of debris that are scattered all over the highway and has to stop. The others will have to follow suit to maintain the formation...........huge traffic jam.

Exactly my thought too. :yes: It would also be only a matter of time until someone hit a pace car too.

Yes, a totally daft idea and one which, if implemeted at all, will be withdrawn before the end of its trial stage so don't worry too much about it.

As for some of the other ideas, there's some fascinating ideas in this thread and a good debate IMHO, however...

I've a problem with anything that tries to dial people's reaction time into the equation. I've just recently taught a lesson on this at school as it happens! OK, so my reaction times at 51 aren't going to make my thinking distance the best around, I'll readiy admit but it's still going to be better than some of those a lot younger than me. Theirs (and mine) are also going to change on whether we are healthy, alert, relaxed, whatever. And don't even get me started on half the planet being on beta blockers, valium, prozac, etc!

I also think that you might find a 35 year old retired fast jet pilot's reaction time would stack up pretty well against an 18 year old lad with girlfriend problems and a tendency to sleep far too little. :yes:

Anyway, it varies, is all and takes up less and less of your overall stopping distance, the faster we drive.

stopdist.jpg

Whether or not any particular vehicle takes as far as the DVLA say, how many drivers could accurately judge their stopping distance for different speeds?

More to the point, even if they could, would we be able to rely on them to always leave that distance to the car in front? (whether it's a Toyota or not) :P

Very Very dangerous idea.

If they want to reduce the number of people that speed on the motorways, up the limit to 100.

The speed limits are based on the highway code, which was based on the breaking performance of a '60s anglia, with crossply tyres, drums all round and no abs.

Even the most humble of modern cars will far out break the highway code. Poor lane discapline is far more dangerous then speeding!!

Incidently, correct me if I am wrong, but are most motorway accidents now caused by people slamming on the anchors when they see a camera on an overhead gantry???

Yes the old figures do need updating but isn't the point that no-one could judge it accurately anyway?

Surely, at the end of the day, most accidents are caused by people just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pulling over into another lane and hitting/being hit by another car, being too close to the car in front, not paying attention in fact?

Whatever, many motorway accidents could happen at 70, 170 or 17mph. It's more down to irresponsible, careless driving or lack of respect for the conditions than the vehicle IMO.

im gonna say, the highway code states braking distances when it was first released!

top gear shattered it a while back by comparing an old cortina with drums all round (which is the sort of car the code is based round) which JUST made it into the stated distances

and then a brand new focus with far better braking, tyres etc... and it nailed it in between half and two thirds of the distance

Lol - just seen this thread, and have to say of all the krud ideas the anti-speed !Removed! have had, this is up there with the worst...

Right up there with fake speed cameras (there's a wooden one round our way), and volunteer speed laser gun operators...

Some people really don't have a clue how to live life, do they?

These guys are already out there. They're easy to spot.

They drive Rovers

They wear trilbies

There's a travel blanket and a copy of the Sunday Express on the back seat.

:D

IMO I don't think these will be any more dangerous than when you see a patrol car on the motorway and everybody slams on and winds up doing 65mph until they are past, because they reckon the officer will pull them over for doing 70.1mph.

I think the biggest danger on the roads these days are tailgaters (on all roads as well and not just motorways). I think the police should be given more powers to charge tailgaters especially as they are basically just intimidating other road users, IMO people who tailgate are no more than just bullies!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links