Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Call Centres That Ring You

jay dh

i just got a call from O2 saying how great their new contracts are (im not even with O2), and i said u wont beat the deal i have, which i then made up so its impossible for any company to match, then made him go thru the list of good ones they have. i said that they arnt as good as what i have and he agreed and happily hung up.

the moral is, waste their time and make them agree they cant beat what deal u have.

i cant be the only person who does this...

Jay

generally i do the other thing....

i act really, really interested, ask them lots of questions, ask for the most expensive package/windows/holiday etc...

go on and on, and when they get to my details, suddenly have to go, ask for their name and extension and promise to call back shortly...

generally i do the other thing....

i act really, really interested, ask them lots of questions, ask for the most expensive package/windows/holiday etc...

go on and on, and when they get to my details, suddenly have to go, ask for their name and extension and promise to call back shortly...

i did that once to a car dealer and he rang me back.

they always used to phone at darrens :angry: usually when i was in bed, id get out and theyd ask for his mum or dad id say i was going to get them and just leave the phone where it was.

go back later and theyve hung up :D

they always used to phone at darrens :angry: usually when i was in bed, id get out and theyd ask for his mum or dad id say i was going to get them and just leave the phone where it was.

go back later and theyve hung up :D

yea that works but im at work in an open plan office so...

If I did that where I work it'd become my full-time job, we get absolutely loads of calls like that & they do my head in, if I want a :censor: water dispenser for the office I'll sort 1, I don't sit there thinking "I need ________________, hopefully some1 will phone me & offer me a good deal", I just go out & sort it myself. I think some people get more money for keeping you on the line as sometimes I make it perfectly clear that I'm not interested & yet they try to keep me on the phone rather than try some1 else who might be remotely interested.

I try to be as polite as possible & just explain that I'm not interested then get them off the line as quickly as possible.

If I did that where I work it'd become my full-time job, we get absolutely loads of calls like that & they do my head in, if I want a :censor: water dispenser for the office I'll sort 1, I don't sit there thinking "I need ________________, hopefully some1 will phone me & offer me a good deal", I just go out & sort it myself. I think some people get more money for keeping you on the line as sometimes I make it perfectly clear that I'm not interested & yet they try to keep me on the phone rather than try some1 else who might be remotely interested.

I try to be as polite as possible & just explain that I'm not interested then get them off the line as quickly as possible.

they do not get paid more money for how long they are on a call. if a caller has all short calls they will be trained to make them last longer as then there is more chance of u saying yes, if they phrase it differently or whatever, i worked in a call centre for an insurance company and this is what happens. on several occasions people said no to the service, and then i would phubik something a particular way or ask a series or q's where their reply would be yes to needing the product, consequently buying that product.

they do not get paid more money for how long they are on a call. if a caller has all short calls they will be trained to make them last longer as then there is more chance of u saying yes, if they phrase it differently or whatever, i worked in a call centre for an insurance company and this is what happens. on several occasions people said no to the service, and then i would phubik something a particular way or ask a series or q's where their reply would be yes to needing the product, consequently buying that product.

Oh, that's the impression I get sometimes but I've never discussed it with any1 who's worked in a proper call centre before. I had to do it for a while at the last place I worked & hated every minute of it, there's a big call centre place close to where I live & I know a few people that worked there & they said the money was good but even for the cash they were getting I couldn't do it, what made it worse when I was doing it is I was supposed to be there to get a computer qualification, not sit there phoning people all day.

Because of the experience of doing it I always be as nice as possible but sometimes they just seem desperate to keep you on the phone whether you're interested or not so I tell them I haven't got time, say bye then basically hang up.

I just tend to say "Do you know what the 'Telephone Preference Service' is? Are you aware that your breaking the law right now?"

If they're particularly bothersome, http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contact/

:yes: Ask them their name, what company they're calling from and then tell them that you're TPS registered. Mostly they just hang up very very fast then. The mail preference service is good too, we used to get loads of junk for the previous occupants but its mostly stopped since signing up to that.

I get it on my mobile.... same company every time - now they're in my phone book as "Time Wasters" :lol:

Anyway, they call and say "We see your contract is about to expire and we want to tell you about the fantastic deals we have"

And I just say "Actually my contract doesnt expire til July" (not lying!)

And then because they ring me every month, I extend the contract, so they rang a few days ago and I told them it expired in August :lol:

Doesnt matter what I say, they always call back in a month - they're normally calling from 3 as well, who I have no intention of going with anyway! Even if I tell them that, they still always call me back! :rolleyes:

i just got a call from O2 saying how great their new contracts are (im not even with O2), and i said u wont beat the deal i have, which i then made up so its impossible for any company to match, then made him go thru the list of good ones they have. i said that they arnt as good as what i have and he agreed and happily hung up.

the moral is, waste their time and make them agree they cant beat what deal u have.

I had one of these a couple of months ago. I did exactly what you describe above, making up the most rediculous contract I could (1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 200Pics, 100Mb download, £35 a month I seem to remember)... After reeling off what I pertended to have, asking "can you match it?", and slumping back in my chair to listen to the comical response the little git said "Yeah, we can match that no problem, and we'll chuck in the latest and greatest Sony Erricson to replace what you currently have..."

My bluff well and truely called...

Got out of it by saying I wanted to move to O2 anyway, cos all my mates were moving. Not a chance I was handing over my card details, even though it did seem to good to be true...

I get it on my mobile.... same company every time - now they're in my phone book as "Time Wasters" :lol:

Anyway, they call and say "We see your contract is about to expire and we want to tell you about the fantastic deals we have"

And then because they ring me every month, I extend the contract, so they rang a few days ago and I told them it expired in August :lol:

Doesnt matter what I say, they always call back in a month - they're normally calling from 3 as well, who I have no intention of going with anyway! Even if I tell them that, they still always call me back! :rolleyes:

You can register mobiles on the TPS too :)

You can register mobiles on the TPS too :)

Really - we're registered on that at home - didnt realise you could do mobiles as well.... sorted, I'm on it! :thumbsup:

I used to get loads of calls.. i registered with the telephone preferene service and fax preference service and I have not had a sales call once in 6 months.

Probably because of the £5k fine theywwill get if they call.

All marketing companies by law must adhere to the TPS lists (unless your a customer who ticked the box to say yes to calls)

We're on the TPS here at home too, don't need it on my mobile as I don't get bothered on it (should I add yet here!)...

I work in a Call Centre environment but it is not selling and I couldnt do that!! I just take reports of Motor Insurance Claims ;)

I once got a spam call at work asking for the manager, so I gave the usual response... "He's out of the office today." to which I got "Hang on..." and they pressed mute, or at least I think they meant to. But I heard them talking to someone who had obviously just brought some drink or something for them and they said, "yeah, thanks... Yeah, I've been fed the usual s*** by this f*****g cheeky c***." Or words to that effect but he did call me cheeky c***! He then went to press the mute (I'm guessing) and started talking to me again, but I'm too busy laughing and I tell him to check his mute button and hang up. Best bit was that the call started with "All calls are recorded for training and recruitment purposes."

Hahahaa... Fired! ;)

I usually politely tell them I am not interested... they pater on, I politely tell then again.. they usually patter on. I thn ask them polietely how abusive I have to get before they leave me alone :D That usually works.

Some of my old job involved cold calling vehicle repair shops, business to business is not so bad, but its a horrible jobb and they hate doing it as much as we hate recieving it.

What I do strongly object too is the call centres with thick accents... you know, the ones where you know full well that they have never even BEEN to England.

What I do strongly object too is the call centres with thick accents... you know, the ones where you know full well that they have never even BEEN to England.

Oh ..................you mean the Scottish call centres? ;) :lol::lol:

Is there a way to stop silent callers, the numbers usually start off with 070. I have registered with TPS a few years ago.

Just one legal question if I wanted to record a call and the phone beeps every five seconds do I still need to tell the other person that the call is being recorded?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links