Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do I Scrap Or Repair.......

Jamesb4uk

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do i scrap or repair.......

• Scrap
    • Repair

Further to a recent post after my accident in the Cynos,

I've had a local fella out to take a look & he recons its going to cost me about £800 to repair the damage to the Cynos if i supply a new rear bumper, Boot lid, rear light cluster & rear support bar. Trouble is i'd have to import these parts from the USA or Japan.

Now i'm half minded to call it a day because the car only cost me £600 in the first place & has lasted me well over the past 5 years / 100,000 miles.

Question is do i repair it or call it aday & scrap her?

J

If I was looking at spending £800 + the price of all those parts on a car that I'd bought for £600 5 years ago & put 100,000 miles on the clock, there's no way I'd do it. Sometimes it's best to let go & I'm afraid that's what I'd be doing if I was in your situation.

It's done it's job well - but at that price I'd have to let it go.

I'd break it for parts and sell them if there is enough call for parts for them in this country?

Hate to say it, but £800 PLUS the parts, I don't think its worth it.

Guess it depends on how much you love the car though. If you want that one, then repair it, if you just want A Cynos, can you have one imported for a similar cost?

I hate to say it dude but i think you'd be better off stripping her down and selling her parts :thumbsup:

Is a toughie....

But if the cost of repair is more than you originally bought the car for.... commen sense says to scrap it - it just doesnt seem worth the aggro, which is a shame, because its a nice car :(

You know what my answer will be mate, keep it and get that kit you always wanted. Thats the bumper sorted and I'm sure if you scour the breakers enough you'll come up with the other bits :thumbsup:

Think about how many members on here who have cars where the value on the year of the car can be as little as £2000 yet the list of modifications/repairs totals many thousands with an ongoing prospect of spending even more, so at the end of the day it will be your decision.

If the car doesn’t have a rarity or modding potential then I would have to agree with the majority and let it go :yes:

Thanks all,

I can see where everyone's coming from, i've always wanted to kit out the Cynos but i've got the Nissan now which has more potential & i believe in my heart that the Cynos's time has come to an end...

But you never know. If i can get a cheap run around i might keep the Cynos - i enjoy being one of the few owners on TOC :thumbsup:

I'll give it some thought & figure out how much it would cost.

J

strip and sell

thats going to cost AT LEAST 2k to repair and porbably the rest as you uncover more problems

and it wont ever be right, itll always niggle you and sit on the back of your mind that its not 1005 ;)

I tend to agree with both arguments for and against scraping and repairing

One one hand spending £800 on a car that you paid £600 for would not be cost effective and some would say throwing good money after bad.

But on the other hand if it was my Surf id spend it as i love my car and i know every nut and bolt on the vehicle.

Sorry not much help to you really :!Removed!:

isnt the cynos a paseo?

Its the JDM paseo - yes.

All - thanks for the advice - i've resigned myself to scrapping her - just trying to decide what car to get as a run around now.....

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links