Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egypt - Back From Holiday. Pics Inside

dj_davo

just got back from a week in luxor. great holiday, great people (although a lot of them are after a tip for the most menial of tasks - all the time)!

did everything, loads of temples, valley of the kings and queens. went in tutunkhamun's tomb. flew in a hot air balloon over the nile. flew (in a plane) to cairo and visited the museum. saw tut's treasures (including the famous gold mask) went into the mummy room and saw 10 partially unwrapped mummies (nice)!

visited the pyramids, went inside Khafre's pyramid, had a chat with the sphinx, went shopping in downtown cairo (p.s never ever take your car to cairo - the driving and lane discipline is a disgrace. we had a bump in the tour bus, which i was expecting all day)!

didn't get much of a tan though :unsure: too busy! :D

would recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

valleyofthekings.jpg

sphinx.jpg

karnakfromtheballoon.jpg

luxor2.jpg

cairomarket.jpg

sunsetonthenile.jpg

Looks good mate :thumbsup: I want to go to egypt my sister went last year and said it was very nice. How did you find the atmosphere did you feel safe etc? Thats the only thing she said was a bit weird and she did not want to venture out with out a guide?

There are some very good deals at the moment for egypt :D

I notice "Watched some African Cup of Nations matches" wasn't on the list, hope you just forgot to put it on the list :P . Seriously though, it sounds excellent, I've never fancied going there because my sister went years ago & absolutely hated it but it doesn't look bad at all there.

Likewise, looks awesome! Its definatley one of the places i have to go to at some point in my life, i think its at about number 3 currently :D

i'd say its safe. my girlfriend didn't fancy venturing into luxor town itself (we were in a hotel a mile out) but we did and it was fine. you get people trying to sell you things, taxi and caleche (horse or donkey drawn carriage) drivers touting you in etc. but you just politely say no and the majority go away.

i used a local tour company for most of the trips (as they were recommended by a lot of peeps on a holiday forum) and they were great.

there is a lot of security in egypt. there were armed security people in luxor and cairo. metal detectors in hotels and some shops. i believe the entire resort of taba has a metal detector check point in and out of it, and i think hurghada and sharm el sheik are also very well guarded now.

it is a bit worrying to see tourism police, antiquities police, and regular police walking around with ak47's or submachine guns, as i doubt that level of security is actually needed to protect the things they claim to (i.e us), but either way im sure trouble will stay away from you.

we chose luxor (as the site of the majority of ancient temples etc.) and can heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a warm destination with some interesting culture, and definitely for those with an interest in egyptology (that'll be geeky me then) :D

probably going to do sharm next winter and do nothing but sunbathe and eat (as i've done most of the stuff i wanted to now).

my girlfriend who was apprehensive before we went has now said that she loves it and that this is her new favourite winter destination. warmer than the canaries and the caribbean (at the moment), more to see and probably less chance of malaria than the gambia, and as you rightly mention, more bang for buck than any of the previous, and a shorter flight than goa or worldwide.

didn't watch any african nations matches but drove by the cairo stadium on saturday night as 1 of the matches was playing - traffic was a nightmare. the locals were very happy with their 4-1 win and this may have added to their warmth. :unsure::thumbsup:

Wow - looks beautiful!

Always wanted to go to Egypt - a friend of mine went a few years ago - apparently all these Egyptian men were fascinated with her because she has blonde hair and they dont really see many women with blonde hair! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links