Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fault Codes - Celica 95 2.0 Jap Import

Cindy

Hi- I am a newbie at all of this. How do I get at the fault codes on my car? I went

to Halfords and they are charging 99 pounds for a fault code reader. I have no idea

how much a garage will charge so I do not know if it isworth even buying a reader?

If I wanted to buy a reader, is there anything I should look for / know about the different

readers? And which readers will read and properly translate the codes on my Jap import

celica 95 convertible?

Thanks all.. sorry for dumb questions

Cindy

The ECU will flash the 'check engine' light (amber light on the RHS of the dash which looks like, well, an engine) whenever it detects an error condition on one of it's sensors. If the light comes on then you need to check what the code is. Even if the light goes off again, in most cases the code will be stored in the ECU and may be causing the ECU to downgrade performance as it thinks something is wrong.

To check the codes, switch the ignition to on (without the engine running). Locate the diagnostics port at the rear of the engine bay on the right-hand side of the firewall as you look from the front. Connect together pins E1 and TE1 using a bit of wire or paperclip, or similar. Now look at the check light and determine the codes in the following manner:

Count the number of flashes until a short pause - this is the first digit of the code. Count the number of flashes after the pause, this is the second digit.

After a slightly longer pause, if there is more than one code, the light will flash in the same manner for that code.

After all codes have been through once, after a longer pause the sequence will start again (so don't worry if you missed one!).

My engine check light did NOT come on.

failed my MOT / emissions was

.56 and I was told I need a .30 or less? I did put 1 red bottle of STP into a full

tank of gas beforehand - had an oil and air filter change. Hubby is changing my

spark plugs tonight.

I saw catalytic cleaner on eBay and wonder if I should buy it.

Garage man says he thinks it is the cat and will hook a machine up to read the

fault codes. I wonder if the codes will be accurate since my car is an import?

Thanks for more info.

Cindy

import / uk makes no difference ts the same car , the only difference being is what fuel should be used depending on which engine is fitted .

try to get the engine as hot as possible before the gas test .give the car a good old thrashing beforehand - what were the LAMBDA SENSOR readings ??

testing for stored codes is pretty easy , your hubby shoud manage it easily the litle black box is on the passenger side just near the bonnet hinge, look on its lid you will see where te1 and e1 are

My engine check light did NOT come on.

failed my MOT / emissions was

.56 and I was told I need a .30 or less? I did put 1 red bottle of STP into a full

tank of gas beforehand - had an oil and air filter change. Hubby is changing my

spark plugs tonight.

I saw catalytic cleaner on ebay and wonder if I should buy it.

Garage man says he thinks it is the cat and will hook a machine up to read the

fault codes. I wonder if the codes will be accurate since my car is an import?

Thanks for more info.

Cindy

mine has the same problem i have just bought some cataclean and will take it for retest on friday so if u want to hold on i will pm u to tell u if it works :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links