Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Photographing Cars

gordypix

A small Tip:

You may notice a lot of the pics of cars have reflections on them due to the light or shadows.....

To help overcome this attach a Polarising filter to your lens (if you have an SLR) and that will help the problem.

Gordy........

Gordy do you have any more tips? I've read recently that taking pics with a grass background is a bad idea? Anything simple you could tell us? :thumbsup:

devide the picture into 3rds, never into halves. Composition is as imortant as subject.

The rule of thirds mentioned above is a good tip for a wide shot but might not work for a portrait of your car where you just want to fill the picture with the subject.

If you were to photograph your car with a dramatic landscape behind try to imagine a noughts & crosses grid over the view finder and line up important details within the grid. eg. the horizon will sit on the line between the middle and top or middle and bottom depending on what looks better.

That's about all I know about composing a photo - it works for framing a video too.

you guys best be taking notes.

don't forget the photo competion will be happening later in the year ;)

The background is an important part of the pic in that it can detract from what you are looking at if it is WRONG. Grass is not necessarily a bad thing - just depends how you have used it.

With a car - a side on pic can be too statcic and one dimensional so shoot from an angle and maybe a low vantage point to make the picture more attractive to the eye. Take time to look properly through the viewfinder to check exactlly what you are shooting.

Remove tax disc - it dates the picture instantly.

Shoot on the slowest speed film possible as the light will allow. Try Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 for slides or Fuji Reala 100 for prints. These are fine grain films with great colour reproduction.

:lol: Tripod- depends on your nerves and the shake in your hands...... :lol:

Hardly use them myself - but they are pictures savers in lots of situations....... :thumbsup:

I'll have my full Canon kit & a shed load of film at JAE so we can have a muck around with some car shots.....

I may bring a small digital camera but in my line of work they do not produce the quality I demand yet........

But for smaller reproduction (web use for example) they are no Probs....... :thumbsup:

Another small tip:

Think about using FLASH in outdoor situations with people shots.....It helps to eliminate harsh shadows caused by the sun.

With a car - a side on pic can be too statcic and one dimensional so shoot from an angle and maybe a low vantage point to make the picture more attractive to the eye. Take time to look properly through the viewfinder to check exactlly what you are shooting.

does my avatar conform to your tip sensei? :D

Smart *****............ :P :D :lol:

No worries Sam..........

Actually Sam, looking more closely at your Yaris avatar - The moody overcast lighting is great. :thumbsup:

It is good to snap cars in slightly overcast conditions to help overcome the GLARE from the bright sunshine. Or in the early morning or evening orangey light - perfick..... :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links