Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint

Markturbo

im finally getting my car fixed after it sitting there for over 6 months

and im going to get the top of the engine painted as they have got change cam gasket

just wondering what paint is the best to use and can you get a good shiny affect or will it just be a matt effect as thats what they told me in a paint shop today

also what colours do you guys think i should have its a black gts turbo car but my ht leads are blue

i was going to have black and leave the toyota letters silver but im not sure really

main thing is whats the best paint to get which will last and give a nice effect

im finally getting my car fixed after it sitting there for over 6 months

and im going to get the top of the engine painted as they have got change cam gasket

just wondering what paint is the best to use and can you get a good shiny affect or will it just be a matt effect as thats what they told me in a paint shop today

also what colours do you guys think i should have its a black gts turbo car but my ht leads are blue

i was going to have black and leave the toyota letters silver but im not sure really

main thing is whats the best paint to get which will last and give a nice effect

right first thing first. in order to get a quality finish on your rocker cover you will need to do a few things.

in this order:

clean all the muck grease and other grim,

prep the surface with at least 320 grit sand paper ensuring that you get everywhere.

(this is to stop the paint from peeling off!)

once this is done you will need to apply a coat of what is called Etch Primer. you can buy it in an aerosol and it is called UPOL ACID 8. a few coats of that will be ample.

leave to flash off (go tacky,,,, may take 10 mins to 30 mins dependant of abient environment)

then you need to obtain some 2K (2 PAC) primer. with this you will need the relevant hardner or activator and the relevant thinner. mix this in a ratio of 2:1 ie 50ml of primer to 25 ml activator and thinner, or whatever is approriate.

apply 2-3 good coats care taken not to let it run as this stuff will take 24 hours to dry.

leave for 24 hours to fully dry and cure.

once dry wet flat with some P600 wet and dry. (do it wet. this will take the harshness off the paper)

once done dry off and wipe clean ready for colour.

there are two types of colour coat, solid or base cost. base coat will require laquer to make it shine but solid doen't.

mettalics are basecoat only. i'd prefer basecoat cos it looks better.

mix your basecoat 2:1 again but only use thinner (NO ACTIVATOR!!) apply a few coats till it has covered the area. then allow to flash off for 20-30 mins.

mix laquer the same as the primer 2:1 laquer,activator and thinner, take care while applying coz this stuff will run!!! BUILD UP COATS GRADUALLY. then give one last good coat to get shine up once you are satisfied leave to dry and cure for 24 hours. 48 hours to be doublly sure. i know its alot but it's the only way of doing it properly that will make it last. cheers. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links