Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is The Coolest Engine?

Leeky

What is the coolest type of engine?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• Straight 4 Cylinder
    • Straight 6 Cylinder
    • V6
    • V8
    • V12
    • Rotary
    • Other

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fidgits

• Leeky

• Karma Supra

• Bibbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know of a car with a V8 which goes round corners well? :D

Paul.

Lotus Esprit V8 :P

Vauxhall/Holden Monaro

Radical

Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC430

BMW M5

SLR Mc Merc

:D

actually Lee...

you need to drop the SC430 - thats a pig on the bends... (auto box doesnt help)

new M5 is a V10 (but the proper one is a V8 so your right)

but we all forgot - every racing car on the Forumla 1 grid this year ;) :P

oh, and the new RS4 - 420bhp from a NA V8, and it can go round corners very well...

and not lets forget 75% of all ferraris - 308, 328, 355, 360, 430...

v4/boxer 4

Compact, nice noise...

A

yeah, and they sound like they are constantly mis-firing...

which is odd, because the porsche boxer engine sounds very lush... but then theres not too many burberry clad chavs driving around in 911's!

due to a dodgy manafold .. if you get an equal length one, it'll impove performance and get rid of the sound .. but it's all a part of the "scooby" thing .. just like baseball caps.

For me, the coolest engine has to be one of these little beauts.... Jones 32 will know why :lol:

comerp60_150.jpg

you race go karts?

For me, the coolest engine has to be one of these little beauts.... Jones 32 will know why :lol:

comerp60_150.jpg

you race go karts?

Used to ;)

comerp60_150.jpg

:laughing:

Kart engines are awesome :thumbsup:

A lot of people dont realise how quick they actually are, and even my 100cc kart goes well for direct drive and sounds awesome @ 16,000rpm :D

Vauxhall/Holden Monaro

:lol::lol::lol:

Radical

:thumbsup: You can have that one!

Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC430

Oh dear me no ... slammed for it's poor dynamics, but nice car all the same.

BMW M5

The latest is a V10 and the earlier ones only stayed on the road because of the electronics :D

SLR Mc Merc

Hmm ... Carrera GT shows it the way :D

I think we see a trend :lol:

Paul.

Well ok :D No torque, though.

The last three perhaps, but the 308?! I didn't think any of those early supercars had actual handling :D

Paul.

notice you didnt find fault with any of my suggestions paul...

never mind mate ;)

:lol:

Typed too soon I fear!

You can have the Lotus, though, although I bet the turbo four was better :thumbsup:

Paul.

Well ok :D No torque, though.

The last three perhaps, but the 308?! I didn't think any of those early supercars had actual handling :D

Paul.

notice you didnt find fault with any of my suggestions paul...

never mind mate ;)

:lol:

Typed too soon I fear!

You can have the Lotus, though, although I bet the turbo four was better :thumbsup:

Paul.

Hey I've just discovered the new forum concatenates sequential posts! :!Removed!:

Paul.

Paul.

Indeed it was :thumbsup: Lighter, better handling and quicker :yes: but no where near the torque...

i think v8s are the crappest sounding engine ever to be honest! i hate that lumpy gargle they make, and they sound rough as badgers ball bag on full chat, gimme an L6 with blowers anyday

i think v8s are the crappest sounding engine ever to be honest! i hate that lumpy gargle they make, and they sound rough as badgers ball bag on full chat, gimme an L6 with blowers anyday

:lol: Spose its a love or hate thing like Marmite, you either think V8's sound excellent or you think they sound crap B)

pretty much so, i much prefer the smooth roar of a supra/skyline lump :D

I love the growl of a nice V8....

Especially on a TVR, which I'll be quite honest, guy pulls up next to me in a lovely grunty growly TVR and I'm putty in his hands.... I just can't get enough! :drool:

My Dad used to have an lovely red Ford Zephyr, that was a V8, it sounded devine.... was a shame he sold it really... :(

I said W18 over W16 as we all know that lines of six are better balanced when it comes to harmonic distortion... that why the old jags and rolls royces had straight sixes, and many luxury cars had V12s. Admitadly a well designed cross plane V8 is very smooth (1UZ style)its only the flat plane V8s that sound lumpy (think The general lee with its Hemi), but its taken a lot of research to get to that!!! (Like Jaxx said, you can HEAR a L6 is smoooth, ora V12 for that matter, I can;t say I have heard a W18!)

The chap that did a load of design work on renault F1s V8 engine for next year is currently rejigging my supra head :D Errr I hope they do well :lol:

Hi Tom....

The chap that did a load of design work on renault F1s V8 engine for next year is currently rejigging my supra head :D Errr I hope they do well :lol:

Still?!

Still?!

That's what I was thinking - he seems to have had it for ages!

He left Renault and went onto Team Altec (mansels GPX masters team), He has been busy and I said there is no Hurry as I am still waiting for the internals!!!! the intake ports are all done, just waiting on some bits (from me) for him to do the exhaust side of things.....

Reminds me, I need to call up the engineering shop and give them an ear bending later!!

Still a fairly high revving yamaha twin turbo straight six sounds pretty awesome!!! especially through a straight through mild steal exhaust (even smoother)

All sounds very expensive :lol: Sure is isnt gonna be cheaper (and better) to get a 2jz?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links