Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is The Coolest Engine?

Leeky

What is the coolest type of engine?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• Straight 4 Cylinder
    • Straight 6 Cylinder
    • V6
    • V8
    • V12
    • Rotary
    • Other

All sounds very expensive :lol: Sure is isnt gonna be cheaper (and better) to get a 2jz?

Nope...

For starters its an uber rare car, and I don't really want to bugger it about too much.... the other problem is I have already bought so much for that engine.....

Just to get a full engine gasket set from toyota cost about £450.. I had already bought a new clutch kit, presure plate, bearings etc (about £160), gearbox that if I used any other engine I'd not be able to use... Not to mention all the polished pipe work and new turbos.

I have a large front mount trust/greddy intercooler and hard pipes ready to go on (1g specific, about £200) and a Mines ECU.

Lets face it, Toyota won't take all the gaskets back, and the car is so rare, there is a real shortage of people wanting tuning parts from them... on the other hand, how many cars do you know with a modified 1G-GTE??? its actually a nice engine, much smoother then the "agricultural" 7M. alought it doesn't have the low down torque, or sheer grunt on the 3.0. (don't get me wrong its not "slow")

All I need to get it back on the road now is my head back (250, maybe less) and the crank back, reground and matched to new big ends and mains. Although while the internals are there I am toying with getting the bottom end balanced (not lightened, no need, just balanced). Expecting about £100 on bearings, £150 if I go with the lightening, and probably about £50 or so to get the crank done.... Then I will have a very thorougly rebuilt engine that is literally "better then new"

I could get it all back together and in the car and running in a weekend, then all I need is a new rad (milly Thieved my old one) new front side lights (Milly thieved my old ones) Battery (she had that away too) and fluids

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fidgits

• Leeky

• Karma Supra

• Bibbs

Top Posters In This Topic

And you said running a soup was cheap .. I've just counted over a grand in the last post ..

Without your time to put it all back together.

Yes, but nearly all of it stuff I could have got away with not doing... its just my nature to do things properly... When it comes to my Supras there is no second best!!!!

Including that, plus a grand for the "new turbos", £350 for tyres and say £100 on new brakes, that covers all I have spent on that car in about 4 years of ownership... whcih, if you average it out.... is really not that much!!! especially for a 17 year old import.

Had it been a UK car, replace all the above list minus tyres and brakes for £500 for a new engine lol.

should be mint when it's back dude .. never seen it running.

(but I have about .5 secs of footage at 2003 JAE)

You gotta send me that!!!

i think v8s are the crappest sounding engine ever to be honest! i hate that lumpy gargle they make, and they sound rough as badgers ball bag on full chat, gimme an L6 with blowers anyday

:lol: Spose its a love or hate thing like Marmite, you either think V8's sound excellent or you think they sound crap B)

lee is not a love or hate thing , its a straight (like the manly ness of the v8) or ghey (wrists not quite strong enough to control the torque) thing :P

Straight 8s also sound pretty cool ;)

i think v8s are the crappest sounding engine ever to be honest! i hate that lumpy gargle they make, and they sound rough as badgers ball bag on full chat, gimme an L6 with blowers anyday

:lol: Spose its a love or hate thing like Marmite, you either think V8's sound excellent or you think they sound crap B)

lee is not a love or hate thing , its a straight (like the manly ness of the v8) or ghey (wrists not quite strong enough to control the torque) thing :P

hmmm

and when clarkson did the porche ad in the !Removed! column of the paper stating his car HAD a V8 he got replies!

I think V8's sound excellent so another vote for it from here ;)

Not just voting for it for the sound though :thumbsup:

To be honest saying "v8s sound great" isa bit of a weak argument....

the different types sound totally different..... and Lexus ones with tock exhaust don't have a sound :D

merlin!!!

Now that's a cool sound! :thumbsup:

and a fantastic engine...

iirc they are a V16, and the early ones churned out 1000hp, but they were de-tuned as the war hotted up to increase life...

If your going to go for aero engines the list is long and distinguished. From the magnificent RR merlin which started out with just over 1000HP and ended up with 1500+HP in `44, through it`s successor the Griffon which ended up with 2250HP And that does sound awesome. And don`t forget the yank P&R radials as used in the P47 Thunderbolt. 2450HP. But not really suitable for automotive applications. :lol:

V8`s can and do sound choice if tuned nicely. Staright 6`s are silky smooth but the 4 pots whether transverse or in line are the most user friendly IMO. And as for the 'no replacement for displacement' theory there`s always the 'Forced induction-The displacement replacement' argument which i prefer. :thumbsup:

To be honest saying "v8s sound great" isa bit of a weak argument....

the different types sound totally different..... and Lexus ones with tock exhaust don't have a sound :D

your wrong there Charlie... :thumbsup:

All configurations of engines have specific harmonics - so all V8's, have a 'V8 sound' and yes, these differ wildly, but the base harmonic, which is caused by the layout, remains the same - even a Lexus V8, though whisper quite, sounds like a V8, a TVR burbles while a ferrari howls - but all share the same base harmonics..

The same is for the straight sixes etc...

and regardless of what you say, loving a V8 purely for the sound is no worse than liking 80's cars purely for the styling, because its all down to personal preference and point of view... (and just like with the V8 noise, 80's styling differed significantly).

Me, i love the sound of a V8, especially the old Rover and Chevvy blocks, but you also can't argue with the fact, the torque a V8 develops is fantastic, and now as the RS4 has proved, we can have N/A V8's hitting 100bhp per litre without losing the immense torque...

V8 - best car engine configuration ever - FACT!

No Ian, you are wrong. ;)

The harmonics are totally different on a flat plane V8 to a cross plain V8...

When most people say they love the V8 sound, they are usually talking about the flat plane type (Rover V8, Hemi, etc lowerer revs, insane aamounts of low dorwn grunt) AS opposed to the much smoother running cross planes (smoother so can take higher revs, rev a flat plane HARD and it will shake itself to destruction!)you will find in Lexus, Rolls Royce, Jaguar (I think)...

Go an listen to the charger in fast and furious, then listen to the Radical SR8 Nurbugring lap... Both are V8s!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links