Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox/speedo Halp Needed....

Jimlad

The mechanical sender that fits onto the gearbox seized some time ago. This resulted in the speedo not working! DOH.

Where the mechanical sender plugs into on the gearbox there is a little shaft that sticks out from the gearbox. This has a little metal shroud around it. This little metal shroud snapped in half when the sender sized. (not a good thing!!).

My garage tried yesterday to bond the shaft to what was left of the shroud but this didn't work!!

Luckily enough I still have my old gearbox. (which is now in bits). It looks like it might be possible to transfer it from one gearbox to the other. But it would mean taking my gearbox off the car, taking it apart, transferring the part, putting my gearbox together and putting it back on the car!!

Anyone got any other ideas, or anyone ever experienced something similar? I don't want to have to buy another gearbox if it isn't possible to transfer the parts between them!!!

Pic shows where the mechanical sender plugs in. It's the metal shroud around the spindle in their that has snapped.

671b9jn.jpg

The gearbox was bought from gtschris to replace my old one. This happened more or less as soon as the box was fitted. Have pm'd gtschris to see where I stand with this sort of matter.

If you can get the sender out of the old G'box, you'll be able to swap it.

If you can't, you wont be able to.

I had a look at my old box earlier... looks like it might be possible to get the mechanism out of my old gearbox. Not 100% sure tho. It looks like it could be bonded in somehow.

Have you tried hitting it with a big hammer yet? I know you like to do that ;)

Oh and you better be looking after my cat! :angry:

yes.... your cat's fine... fat and scary... but fine.

Gearbox is fixable garage said they can transfer the part from my old box without removing the gearbox. But they do have to remove the exhaust and some arm thing that goes from one side of the car to the other?? (dunno what they are on about).

Was booked in on Tuesday, but might need to get my central locking problem sorted first!! (see other post)

i have got the same problem. i've narrowed it down to the speedo drive but after what you have put then i might have to get the gearbox out again to split it. is this a common problem with mr2's? i know the later mr2's went on to flyby wire speedo's :thumbsup:

i have got the same problem. i've narrowed it down to the speedo drive but after what you have put then i might have to get the gearbox out again to split it. is this a common problem with mr2's? i know the later mr2's went on to flyby wire speedo's :thumbsup:

just been to the garage where me car is being done and me speedo drive has done wot yours has!!!!! all i got was the drive and half a shaft with some black sillicone on how do you get the other half out i cant get it to budge???

Just to make sure we're both taking about the same thing here.

The speedo cable connects to a mechanical sender. This plugs into the gearbox. If you remove this there is a shaft which sticks out of the gearbox with a metal sheath around it. This split because the mechanical sender had seized. This results in the shaft no longer able to be spun because the sheath is damaged.

You have to take the gearbox apart mate to get the whole thing out. It's only about 6inches long. You don't actually need to take the box off the car tho!

You can do it by removing the exhaust, the bar thing which goes across the back of the car (don't know what it's called). Then gain access to that part of the gearbox. (I havn't done this, but this is what my garage will be doing). Luckily I had another gearbox so at least I had the part that I could replace the broken one with!!

Just to make sure we're both taking about the same thing here.

The speedo cable connects to a mechanical sender. This plugs into the gearbox. If you remove this there is a shaft which sticks out of the gearbox with a metal sheath around it. This split because the mechanical sender had seized. This results in the shaft no longer able to be spun because the sheath is damaged.

You have to take the gearbox apart mate to get the whole thing out. It's only about 6inches long. You don't actually need to take the box off the car tho!

You can do it by removing the exhaust, the bar thing which goes across the back of the car (don't know what it's called). Then gain access to that part of the gearbox. (I havn't done this, but this is what my garage will be doing). Luckily I had another gearbox so at least I had the part that I could replace the broken one with!!

yeah i went down to hte garage to were my car is and i removed the drive. my drive is a 90 degree type i.e cable in the top and the shaft sticks out sideways. when i got it out what did i find???? a horrible blob of black silicone on the end of the whats left of the shaft so the nob jockey who had it before couldn't be bothered to rectify it and bodged it! gimp! :ffs:

so your saying i need to take me box apart?? i tried retrieving what was left of the shaft but it wouldn't shift.

can you buy a replacement shaft or is it job lot??? :unsure:

tbh I don't know mate. Looks like whoever had the car before you tried to do what the garage tried with mine. To bond it together and see if it would work.

I would assume you should probably be able to buy the part from toyota, but might not be cheap??... See if you can get a scrapped gearbox from somewhere mate. Shouldn't cost you much and all you need is the shaft bit.

Either way, your box will need to come apart.

tbh I don't know mate. Looks like whoever had the car before you tried to do what the garage tried with mine. To bond it together and see if it would work.

I would assume you should probably be able to buy the part from toyota, but might not be cheap??... See if you can get a scrapped gearbox from somewhere mate. Shouldn't cost you much and all you need is the shaft bit.

!Removed!. i did get quoted at least £100 + vat for a new drive but that was from the dealer but after discovering the shaft comes out i will go and see my local ***** turpin toyota dealer for a price. i did get a drive sent from a geezer off eBay but when it came it was off an NA so completely wrong.

Most of the scrappies i,ve been to wont sell me the drive without the box something to do with conversions but i,ll see what ron brookes has to say in the morn. :thumbsup:

!Removed!. i did get quoted at least £100 + vat for a new drive but that was from the dealer but after discovering the shaft comes out i will go and see my local ***** turpin toyota dealer for a price. i did get a drive sent from a geezer off eBay but when it came it was off an NA so completely wrong.

Most of the scrappies i,ve been to wont sell me the drive without the box something to do with conversions but i,ll see what ron brookes has to say in the morn. :thumbsup:

th_DSC00036.jpg

yip... looks like the exact same thing has happened to yours... doh!!

Someone in the past has attempted to bond it in place.

yip... looks like the exact same thing has happened to yours... doh!!

Someone in the past has attempted to bond it in place.

Does it make the management light come on???

It does this thing where it gets to 60 odd mph and the management light comes on but when i turn off the engine it goes out till i get to 60 ish again. when i got the car the bloke said it's because the speedo doesn't work. any help?? :huh:

i think its to do with the fact that the ECU has no speed pulse and therefore doesnt know when to limit the speed of the car

will be 112mph being an import, unless its been delimited...

i think its to do with the fact that the ECU has no speed pulse and therefore doesnt know when to limit the speed of the car

will be 112mph being an import, unless its been delimited...

R u there boy?!

im almost certain that it has been de-limited but with it been mechanical not electronically driven causes a bit of confusion ill have to see what its like with the drive working

am i!

im not sure how you delimit the rev1 cars to be honest?? with the mechanical drive and all that, the rest of them have a little widget wired into the back of the instrument panel which clamps the signal for the speed pulse and feeds the ECU with a flase reading... (well thats what mine has anyway)

im asuming the mechy drive still creates an electronic pulse (at the panel end) which then jabbers back to the ECU....

maybe?

You will get the engine management light coming on if your speedo isn't working (which it isn't).

With mechanical speedos a convertor plugs into the top of this....

th_DSC00036.jpg

Then the speedo cable plugs into that. The convertor basically has some gearing etc in it to convert from kms to miles.

You will get the engine management light coming on if your speedo isn't working (which it isn't).

th_DSC00036.jpg

Then the speedo cable plugs into that. The convertor basically has some gearing etc in it to convert from kms to miles.

ok. that means that my car still operates the numbers in km but shows the speed in mph. thats got news then cos it said on the clock it had got 102000 which i asume is in km but then i dont know how long the speedo has been duff.

th_DSC00036.jpg

ok. that means that my car still operates the numbers in km but shows the speed in mph. thats got news then cos it said on the clock it had got 102000 which i asume is in km but then i dont know how long the speedo has been duff.

just had delivered me shaft for me speedo drive and its exactly the same of what came out so whats naff is internal. how much was your box?

yeah, it's the sheath around the shaft on the gearbox or the mechanism inside!

My box was £200 inc delivery. Goto toyota and explain what's up. They might be able to get the part you need (if they even know what you're on about!).

yeah, it's the sheath around the shaft on the gearbox or the mechanism inside!

My box was £200 inc delivery. Goto toyota and explain what's up. They might be able to get the part you need (if they even know what you're on about!).

while i was there today i asked them if there was any listings on internal parts for the box but after about half an hour and a gallon of coffee they said they couldn,t pull anything up.

They said they will contact me if they can pinpoint the relevent parts but i dont think its gonna be promising.

Ive got a bloke who can recon it for a one-a, been told he's got good turn around time.

I'm panicing a bit cos it needs to be ready in time for the ring.

:help:

" for a one-a " ?? .... try another Toyota dealer mate!! they should be able to get the part #s etc!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links