Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Mr2

Tommy W

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of selling my Almera GTi and buying an MR2... There's nothing wrong with the Almera - It goes like stink and corners like a house-fly - I just fancy something rear-wheel drive!

The thing is, I'm not sure what all the 'MR2 rev111' stuff is all about, and I'm not sure which one to go for. I quite like the GT T-Bar, and the normal GT, but whats the difference between the GT and GTi? I don't want a Roadster!

Also, what problems do they suffer from (rust etc)? My Almera's pretty much bomb proof, so I don't want to sell it and buy some shed.

As MR2's still cost quite a bit, would an older one (1996) be reliable, or would it just break and rust faster than I could fix it?

Cheers.

--Tommy

P.S. I know this has prolly been cover about a million times before, but I couldn't find the search button - the Almera Owners Club use VBulletin, and it's a lot different from this.

P.P.S I should have put that I can't insure one with a turbo.

Welcome to the club Tommy :thumbsup:

The search button is at the very top of the page but don't worry about being chastised for not using it on here, most of the guys love to talk about their two's so I'm sure you will get a reply pretty soon.

Les

Have a look in the stuckies at the top of the mr2 forum.

There are three Marks of MR2 .. the 80's wedge, the 90's sleek car, and the naughties roadster.

Sounds like you are after a mk2, of which there are 5 revisions (engine changes, styling changes). Details in the stickies.

My turbo was a track car in Japan, and I'm not an easy owner (drive it like you stole it). 2 trips to Nur. And it's on 100k miles. still runs fine.

The 3s-ge (non turbo) will be reliable as anything. They are in celicas (not the new one) Rav4's, Camry's .. it was the 2.0 workhorse engine for a good 10 years.

My engine (1993 rev2 NA) has ticked over 105k... still smooth and lovely :) look after it... and it runs forever! :P

The toyota engines are solid, if looked after. Mine is the 3SGE engine with 95,000 miles on and with the 3000 mile oil change intervals I do, it drives as good as new. The engine uses VERY minimal oil between changes and I do give it a "hard life", as they love to be revved, but only when warm. :thumbsup:

hi tommy welcome to toc not much advice i can give you but i was in your situation only 2 months ago previosly owned a 206 gti similar to your almera but houses need payin so it went now ive :thumbsup: got a mr2..payed for aswell lol..its a 1991 rev 1 158bhp .. but best advice get black and get a t-bar best spec you could get..and summers on its way :thumbsup: B)

Mines a 1990 G-Limited with 78,ooo on the clock and runs perfectly.

Good Luck with the hunting!!!

You don't often get rust issues with sw20's!!

As for rev1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. But please don't be put off from buying a rev1 car!

You can easily sort out handling issues on rev1 cars by changing the suspension (lowering it), changing form the stock 14" wheels. Never say never to a rev1! Look at mine... it's a beasty!! :)

20mj.jpg

Are you thinking of getting a turbo/non turbo?

You don't often get rust issues with sw20's!!

As for rev1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. But please don't be put off from buying a rev1 car!

You can easily sort out handling issues on rev1 cars by changing the suspension (lowering it), changing form the stock 14" wheels. Never say never to a rev1! Look at mine... it's a beasty!! :)

20mj.jpg

Are you thinking of getting a turbo/non turbo?

Couldn't afford to insure a turbo, so it's gonna have to be NA.

I'll also have to save up a little, as I don't really want to buy something much older than the car I have.

--Tommy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links