Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Run Flat Tyre T180

druand

Hi Moonraker, I was in Toyota Harlech today and asked them about the RFT's and they told me they have the machine to change the Tyre and the tyres in stock. Even so it is a long way from Anglesey "Mon". Wishing you luck Gwil

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothwell_buyer

• Hoovie

• sywy

• Parts-King

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i bought 6 mth old land cruiser for same price as new T180 full size spare wheel.

on recent trip from somerset to skegness got 486 miles from 68 litres. + auto box

tyres cost £87.00 (road tax more expensive but insurance cheaper) so maybe

something to think about. i tow 23ft caravan to france every year + would not

consider this type of trip without spare wheel (57 LC4 D4D) I must add its about

26 mpg around town but huge boot + low range gears :yahoo:

Reckon I would get well in excess of 40mpg on a journey of that distance with my T180. Must admit did test drive that model prior to getting a T180 but as you would expect, with a vehicle of that size the handling left something to be desired and the final straw was being overtaken by a milk float :D

Hi All.

"You can keep subscribing to this ridiculous situation and TGB/Bridgestone will continue to "laugh all the way to the Leeds" at your expense."

Interesting one this as its not Just Bridgestone that make the Support Rings. Continental have them in production and Yokohama are working on there`s. and who says you have to fit Bridgestone to your T180? it is recomended but who could police that one.

I cant see the OFT argument when its a standard rim, standard Tyre, and other support ring brands are out there plus Independant Tyre dealers are being trained to fit and repair. Toyota/Bridgestone were just the first to fit it to a production car.

Like another post said if your Wife was to get a puncture at night, perhaps in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal on her own or with children in the car would it not be better to drive home at a lower speed?. And if heaven forbid you caught a peice of steel in the road and shredded a Tyre at 70mph would it be better to not have the wheel rim running on the road and avoid possibe loss of control.

Watch this space we are working on getting the prices down and avaibility of fitting locations better.

Kirk

kirk.walker@bridgestone.eu

07989 359143

Kirk, me old mucker. Been away from the site for a while, aol, don't you just luv 'em!!

I've stayed out of this, after doing everything I feel called to be done. Sorry that you now appear to be getting a little annoyed with this, as I have said in previous posts, you have been more than helpful to us poor T180 owners, where Toyota themselves have been less than helpful and considerate to long term, loyal Toyota owners. Will contact Stapletons at the end of this year to replace the other three tyres due to wear, unless I get another screw through the tyre in the meantime. Have you got any details on the Continental tyre that will fit our Ravs (only joking "Bridgestone" ;) )

Best Regards

John

I see that the OFT are prosecuting BA for unfair price fixing of fuel surcharges with Virgin;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7546804.stm

If I had RFTs I would be talking to them along the same lines. I do not have a problem with the use of RFTs but I do have a problem with them only being available from TGB. Only since we have discussed unfair practice have Bridgestone come forward and proffered alternative sources but so far nobody can tell me that a/ they are available outside the Toyota network or b/ that they are any different in price if they really are available.

In my former life of vehicle development I got involved with a situation where a vehicle manufacturer wanted exclusive rights to sell friction material. When they were pulled up about it being unfair they and the friction supplier said that they had made the parts available via independant suppliers. In fact although they had added the part numbers to the range of available parts, the parts were never actually physically available and the OFT prosecuted the pair for unfair practice. Its alright saying there are authorised suppliers but where are they and if they are no cheaper then the price has to be justified or it will be deemed a cartel.

As it happens it doesn't affect me but if it did, rest assured I would be on to the OFT instead of continuously belly aching about it. Some owners seem quite at ease about the situation - fair enough. However, if you have an issue with it and see it as unfair for goodness sake either put up or shut up. I can see three options;

1. You change the tyres and wheels to those with conventional components. You don't have to do it until you need some new tyres so therefor spread the cost.

2. You can keep subscribing to this ridiculous situation and TGB/Bridgestone will continue to "laugh all the way to the Leeds" at your expense.

3. You can fight the situation and start rattling some cages.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/oft_and_cd/

As they say on blind date, "it's up to you".

Hi Anchorman

Yeah, these Bridgestone RFTs are available from independant dealers and as I Ive said before, to get details contact Kirk at Bridgestone who has postings on this site.

Hi All,

When I am back in the office on Monday I will list all the independant dealers who can fit support rings on here now the list is finished.

Anchorman, The Tyre is a standard Tyre as I have said before, what we cant control is what Dealers charge for there services, they are owned not by TGB but usualy family busnesses. I am trying my best here fella. when you see the list of our Customers who have the equipment and training you will see the investment Bridgestone has put into the system. when the other Tyre companys release there system then it will be better. (in my opinion F1 was better when there was a Tyre war,like Moto GP is now with Bridgestone and Michelin)

Bridgestone released the first RFT Tyre back in 1986 on the 959 and now every Tyre maker has RFT Tyres in the line up. even Kumho.

And if you ever want to visit me in my workshop in Warwick for a coffee and demonstration of the system please feel free to call me and come down.

Take care

Kirk

07989 359143

Who said that any other company is going to release another version? Just because they are in development, doesn't mean it will make it into the market!! There is a good reason why nobody else has done this yet, 2+ years after Bridgestone released theirs. They wanted to see how well it is received by the punters. And if they have been watching any of this, they should see sense and will not release their versions onto the market. If you read through the forums, you can see that the Bridsgetone BSR is losing Toyota sales!!

I'd still like clarification that no special equipment is required, when I've been told the opposite by at least 2 different dealers, and I'm sure Kingo has even put it in writing on this forum some where. I have also been told that it takes a minimum of 2 hours to change, and your saying it takes minutes. Again, if you search, I'm sure Kingo has said the same. the other thing, which I have mentioned to you before, is why there are no big chains like Kwikfit etc subscribing to the BSR technology?

Who said that any other company is going to release another version? Just because they are in development, doesn't mean it will make it into the market!! There is a good reason why nobody else has done this yet, 2+ years after Bridgestone released theirs. They wanted to see how well it is received by the punters. And if they have been watching any of this, they should see sense and will not release their versions onto the market. If you read through the forums the Bridsgetone BSR is losing Toyota sales!!

I'd still like clarification that no special equipment is required, when I've been told the opposite by at least 2 different dealers, and I'm sure Kingo has even put it in writing on this forum some where. I have also been told that it takes a minimum of 2 hours to change, and your saying it takes minutes. Again, if you search, I'm sure Kingo has said the same. the other thing, which I have mentioned to you before, is why there are no big chains like Kwikfit etc subscribing to the BSR technology?

I was told clearly by my guy who has been supplying me tyres and wheels for all of my cars for 10+ years, and who has 2 depots in the 2 largest cities in Scotland, that the Toyota tyre cannot be fitted by his garages as they do not have the equipment to deal with the wheel. He does BMWs and porsche, which is why he knows how many are off the road - if you ever go to his place in Glasgow its almost always top of the range BMWs; Porsche; and Mercedes. He said that he has not been asked to do a RAV RF in Glasgow - maybe cos owners know they need to go to a dealer. His Edinburgh shop has been asked but had to point the way to a dealer. I don't think he has any intention of equipping to be able to do the Toyota tyre - his response was to use normal tyres as they are so much better; and cheaper. For half the price, you could buy top range tyres.

Kirk - apart from my already voiced opinion of Bridgestone tyres from my experience in Australia, Toyota have just repeated what they did in 1994 with the launch of the RAV - a unique deal with a tyre manufacturer -Dunlop - on a unique size. It took 3 years for that situation to change and other manufacturers to begin production. Toyota also did the same with the Previa.

From that experience, my 4 kids avoid buying Toyota as they remember the costs we incurred with the RAV4 and the Previa when we bought them new in 1994. So - Toyota have been losing customers for the past 14 years. Course, my 4 will not bother to tell Toyota - jst vote with their feet. I'd guess so are many others.

Hi All,

When I am back in the office on Monday I will list all the independant dealers who can fit support rings on here now the list is finished.

Anchorman, The Tyre is a standard Tyre as I have said before, what we cant control is what Dealers charge for there services, they are owned not by TGB but usualy family busnesses. I am trying my best here fella. when you see the list of our Customers who have the equipment and training you will see the investment Bridgestone has put into the system. when the other Tyre companys release there system then it will be better. (in my opinion F1 was better when there was a Tyre war,like Moto GP is now with Bridgestone and Michelin)

Bridgestone released the first RFT Tyre back in 1986 on the 959 and now every Tyre maker has RFT Tyres in the line up. even Kumho.

And if you ever want to visit me in my workshop in Warwick for a coffee and demonstration of the system please feel free to call me and come down.

Take care

Kirk

07989 359143

Yes, the list of independant dealers kindly supplied by Kirk will go along way to help T180 owners with availability and convenience of getting a BSR tyre changed, but out of interest, having PM'ed Kirk, I rang my local independant dealer for a price for a straight tyre change and also a price to include the inner support ring. The price they gave were are actually £40 more expensive than my local Toyota dealership.

Tyre only Tyre + Support Ring

Toyota £206 £296

Independant £240 £340

After speaking to Toyota I rang back the Independant to inform him that his prices were not competitve he then said that he could match Toyota's prices. He did say that special equipment was required and it took over an hour to change. It seems either these independants are also cashing in on the situation or the price of this "special equipment" is so high they are trying to recoup their costs.

What happens with TPMS system at the independants, are they are equiped to reset these also, at least the Toyota price included everything. If people do go to the independants do they have to then go to their local Mr T's sort out the TPMS...more expense.

If the BSR tyre is a "normal" tyre costing around £150 how can even the independants charge around £90 for fitting it!

One other interesting comment made by the independant was that supply of the BSR tyres by Bridgestone was not great he had a number of tyres on back order that he had not received. :cheers:

Exactly my point Bomber. It is one thing to say they are available from independent stockists but if they cannot get them it is a hollow gesture. The other side of cartels and exclusivity agreements is that when the product is released to the "free aftermarket" is that prices can be fixed or simply not even available to make going to an independent no more attractive than going to the dealer - either way you are stitched up.

I know Kirk has been helpful and I repeat that is commendable but the bottom line is you are being stuffed when paying over £200 for a moderately modified tyre. If you trawl through this thread you will see that unsuspecting owners have had no option than to pay in excess of £350 for a new tyre and it is profiteering at it's highest level.

If I can buy a Bridgestone Dueller for little more than £75 fitted and balanced for mine then £150 is not a reasonable price for a basic BSR casing. The independents will charge a similar mark up because they want to be competitive but if Bridgestone charge them a silly price so that the end price comes out at the TGB price that is price fixing. If you are OK with that that is up to you but I think most T180 owners would like to see those prices fall considerably.

Kirk

This is not a personal pop at you mate. I was European Account Manager for Federal Mogul (Ferodo Friction Materials) and I've seen all this kind of stuff before. You are in an awkward situation because you are valiantly defending your company but I know there is more to this than meets the eye. I actually try not to get involved with this because I don't even possess the blasted things and rest assured if I appear emotive now you have no idea what I would be like if faced with this kind of profiteering. I would be chained to the desk of the Director of the OFT until they looked into this and although I don't mean you any harm I would love to see the perpetrators of this deal pay for their actions.

The owners of these vehicles have gone out in good faith to buy them at great expense and there should be a very large warning on every T180 windscreen that says "Prepare to be shafted when it comes to buying tyres".

The world of friction materials may not be squeaky clean but I can proudly say that if any of my customers ever even mooted such an agreement it was turned down flat (but diplomatically) on both moral and legal grounds.

TGB and Bridgestone should be ashamed of themselves and I am willing a T180 owner to take this to the OFT because I can't as a third party. You should warn which ever of your colleagues is behind all this that they are on thin ice.

Your list of stockists will be very interesting. Do you have any recommended selling prices?

Hi Moonraker, I was in Toyota Harlech today and asked them about the RFT's and they told me they have the machine to change the Tyre and the tyres in stock. Even so it is a long way from Anglesey "Mon". Wishing you luck Gwil

Thanks Gwil, Toyota Harlech and Lindops at Queensferry are the 2 nearest franchised dealers to me I believe that have the kit and tyres . Kirk at Bridgestone was kind enough to phone me yesterday with a list of some non franchised tyre dealers in the places I normally travel to and he told me that Bangor tyres 25miles from here now have the equipment and stock but I dont know how much their prices are. ( Thanks for your help Kirk it is much appreciated ). Im dissapointed that Premier Toyota in Llandudno Jct didnt inform me that they dont have the kit when I bought my car. They have been very kind in all other respects but to be fair they should be. Its a bit shortsighted of them I think. Supposing one of our Irish friends or some one returning from holiday drives off the ferry with a puncture only to find the nearest Toyota dealer can't help. Bit naughty I think !!

Not found out yet whether the control unit will accept 5 codes at the same time or just 4.

Well, these pictures of the Toyota tester display suggests it may be able to take 5 IDs:

tpmstester.png

tpmstest2.png

Maybe even 2 sets of tyre possible (probably for areas like southern Germany and Austria).

Exactly my point Bomber. It is one thing to say they are available from independent stockists but if they cannot get them it is a hollow gesture. The other side of cartels and exclusivity agreements is that when the product is released to the "free aftermarket" is that prices can be fixed or simply not even available to make going to an independent no more attractive than going to the dealer - either way you are stitched up.

I know Kirk has been helpful and I repeat that is commendable but the bottom line is you are being stuffed when paying over £200 for a moderately modified tyre. If you trawl through this thread you will see that unsuspecting owners have had no option than to pay in excess of £350 for a new tyre and it is profiteering at it's highest level.

If I can buy a Bridgestone Dueller for little more than £75 fitted and balanced for mine then £150 is not a reasonable price for a basic BSR casing. The independents will charge a similar mark up because they want to be competitive but if Bridgestone charge them a silly price so that the end price comes out at the TGB price that is price fixing. If you are OK with that that is up to you but I think most T180 owners would like to see those prices fall considerably.

Kirk

This is not a personal pop at you mate. I was European Account Manager for Federal Mogul (Ferodo Friction Materials) and I've seen all this kind of stuff before. You are in an awkward situation because you are valiantly defending your company but I know there is more to this than meets the eye. I actually try not to get involved with this because I don't even possess the blasted things and rest assured if I appear emotive now you have no idea what I would be like if faced with this kind of profiteering. I would be chained to the desk of the Director of the OFT until they looked into this and although I don't mean you any harm I would love to see the perpetrators of this deal pay for their actions.

The owners of these vehicles have gone out in good faith to buy them at great expense and there should be a very large warning on every T180 windscreen that says "Prepare to be shafted when it comes to buying tyres".

The world of friction materials may not be squeaky clean but I can proudly say that if any of my customers ever even mooted such an agreement it was turned down flat (but diplomatically) on both moral and legal grounds.

TGB and Bridgestone should be ashamed of themselves and I am willing a T180 owner to take this to the OFT because I can't as a third party. You should warn which ever of your colleagues is behind all this that they are on thin ice.

Your list of stockists will be very interesting. Do you have any recommended selling prices?

Hi anchorman,

FYI it is in the hands of Essex trading Standards. the person there who deals with Toyota has all the relevant facts and I know that my complaint/ concerns have been backed up by at least one other person from this forum. This person has been on vacation but should pick up the baton next week. Apart from the "trading standards/monopoly" aspect I'm concerned very much for T180 drivers safety in that at least my 2006 handbook says you can drive 100miles at 55mph whereas whilst responding to my letter concerning monopoly and outragous cost they stated 50 miles at 50mph.

Sad to hear that one of the forum members has checked out an independant tyre dealer and it comes out more than TGB!! I originally had some comfort after being advised by Bridgestone that the tires could be changed in 4 minutes at a cost of say £170-£180 compared to the £354 screwed outta me by TGB colchester. Pirelli produce a Scorpion reinforced 4x4 tyre in the RAV size for £179 going by memory. The TPMS causes me some concern even when my local TGB garage said it could not rotate the tyres at an annual service because it would upset the TPMS. Being a simple old Luddite if all tyres are at 32 psi wot difference!!)

Whilst AOL give me a chance would just mention that Hoovies comment re the jack etc supplied with the T180 is a classic. If we cant change the wheel at the roadside why the hell bother sticking that lot in the boot?!!

Regards to all

John

PS Love my lil black T180 and Toyota reliability in general but after this episode very unlikely that will buy another Toyota. My baccy fund is now a tyre fund perhaps I should be thankful to Toyota for the sake of my health (very tongue in cheek)

i feel even worse as my 4 d4 xtr on 57 plate that i pick up on tuesday morning only has the tyer inflation kit ! i have had a new mini since 2002 first with run flat then ordinary tyres when i put 18" alloys on and runflat really do give a harder ride, hence my other post in a new thread looking for a spare wheel carrier for my new car!

Hi All.

Here is the dealer list as promised. I will be adding to this as a Large Highstreet Fast fit company is looking to refit there depots with BSR and CSR (Continental Support Ring) capable Tyre Changers

Make sure you haggle for your best price and ring a few, the prices will come down.

Take Care

Kirk

07989 359143

ALPHA TYRES LIMITED MONTROSE STREET STOKE ON TRENT STAFFORDSHIRE ST4 3PB 01782 312 222

AMS TYRES & EXHAUSTS 233 TORQUAY ROAD PAIGNTON DEVON TQ3 2HW 1803 666555

BRITANNIA TYRES LTD ABBOTTS LANE COVENTRY WEST MIDLANDS CV1 4AZ 024 76 256262

COUNTERACTION LIMITED 52 - 60 CAULDWELL STREET BEDFORD BEDFORDSHIRE MK42 9AB 01234 328477

FARMER AUTOCARE LTD 194 QUEENSFERRY ROAD MAIDENCRAIG EDINBURGH EH4 2BN 0131 343 3333

FORMULA ONE AUTOCENTRES LTD BILTON ROAD MILTON KEYNES BUCKINGHAMSHIRE MK1 1HW 07981 987987

FORMULA ONE AUTOCENTRES LTD UNIT 19 EAST MAYNE, BAKERS COURT, PAYCOCKE ROAD BASILDON ESSEX SS14 3EH 07981 987987

MR TYRE LIMITED 108 CHESTERFIELD ROAD SOUTH MANSFIELD NOTTINGHAMSHIRE NG19 7AQ 07855 330625

NATIONAL TYRE (100) SERVICE LTD KENNEDY STREET KILMARNOCK AYRSHIRE KA1 4DH 01563 523 381

NATIONAL TYRE (105) SERVICE LIMITED UNIT 25 ARUN BUSINESS PARK BOGNOR REGIS WEST SUSSEX PO22 9SX 01243 863 200

NATIONAL TYRE (528) SERVICE LTD 107 WHITECHURCH SHREWSBURY SHROPSHIRE SY1 4EQ 01743 464 612

NATIONAL TYRE (597) SERVICE LTD PARKER LANE BURNLEY LANCS BB11 2BY 01282 424 420

NATIONAL TYRE SERVICE LTD 7 NEW ROAD KENDAL CUMBRIA LA9 4AY 01539 722 318

P & B TYRES UNIT 4A MILE OAK INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, MAESBURY ROAD OSWESTRY SHROPSHIRE SY10 8GA 01691 655 859

MCCONECHYS TYRE SERVICE LIMITED 72 SPIERSBRIDGE ROAD THORNLIEBANK GLASGOW G46 7SN 0141 621 4400

MERITYRE SPECIALISTS LTD 26/28 PURLEY RISE PURLEY-ON-THAMES READING RG8 8A 01264 386828

Best Tyres 2 VERNEY STREET DEVON EXETER EX1 2AW 01392 411100

STAPLETONS TYRE SERVICES LTD WORKS ROAD LETCHWORTH HERTS SG6 1LP 01462 685036

STAPLETONS TYRE SERVICES LTD CANARY WAY NORWICH NORFOLK NR1 1WW 01603 610039

TAYSIDE TYRES LIMITED BALUNIE DRIVE DUNDEE DUNDEE DD4 8UU 01382 735822

THE TYRE WAREHOUSE BRACKLEY LTD No 1 BOROUGH COURT, BUCKINGHAM ROAD IND EST BRACKLEY NORTHANTS NN13 7BE 01280 706030

TW TYRES 11 PAYNES LANE RUGBY WARWICKSHIRE CV21 2UH 01788 542292

TYREWEB LTD ORBITAL PARK - THE PARADE ASHFORD KENT TN24 0HT 01233 500033

WATLING TYRE SERVICES LAMBERT ROAD TUNBRIDGE WELLS KENT TN2 3EH 01474 320740

WATLING TYRE SERVICES CHERRY TREE AVENUE DOVER KENT CT16 2NL

STS TYRE PROS UNIT 2 TRADE CITY MAYLANDS AVENUE HEMEL HEMPSTEAD HP2 7DE 01462 488758

TYRELAND UNIT 11, EDISON ROAD SALISBURY WILTSHIRE SP2 7NU 01202 897772

MCCONECHYS TYRE SERVICE LIMITED HENDRY ROAD KIRKCALDY FIFE KY2 5DS 01592 266101

MCCONECHYS TYRE SERVICE LIMITED 16-18 PEEBLES STREET AYR AYRSHIRE KA8 8DS 01292 281415

MCCONECHYS TYRE SERVICE LTD 36 WILLOWBANK ROAD ABERDEEN ABERDEENSHIRE AB11 6FH 01224 588311

MERITYRE SPECIALISTS LTD WALWORTH IND EST ANDOVER HAMPSHIRE SP10 5JG 01264 333533

MICHELDEVER TYRE SERVICE LTD MICHELDEVER STATION WINCHESTER HAMPSHIRE SO21 3AP 01962 794818

MICHELDEVER TYRE SERVICE LTD UNIT 7 RAYNHAM CLOSE, RAYNHAM RD IND EST BISHOP STORTFORD HERTFORDSHIRE CM23 5PB 01279 466466

NORTH EASTERN TYRE & EXHAUSTS LTD WARELAND WAY MIDDLESBOROUGH CLEVELAND TS4 2JY 07920 469090

NORTH EASTERN TYRE & EXHAUSTS LTD MIDDLE ENGINE LANE WALLSEND NORTH TYNESIDE NE28 9XT 0191 2626363

ROADWHEEL TYRE & EXHAUST LTD 468 LONDON ROAD HILSEA, PORTSMOUTH HANTS PO2 9RN 02392 694741

SOUTHERN TYRE CO. LTD. 348 BEXHILL ROAD, ST LEONARD ON SEA HASTINGS EAST SUSSEX TN38 8AL 01323 844600

MAN ON WHEELS 194 - 6 HIGH STREET RAINHAM KENT ME8 8AX 01632 291444

STAPLETONS TYRE SERVICES LTD 253 COGGESHALL ROAD BRAINTREE ESSEX CM7 9EF 01376 322363

CAMBRIAN TYRES LIMITED NORTH PARADE ABERYSTWYTH DYFED SY23 2JR 01970 617134

COOPER BROS OVERTOWN ROAD WISHAW SCOTLAND ML2 9PU 01698 385477

D&D TYRES LIMITED BEAM HEATH WAY NANTWICH CHESHIRE CW5 6PQ 01270 610610

DEXEL TYRE CO LTD 89 HIGH STREET DONCASTER SOUTH YORKSHIRE DN5 0AP 01302 820 355

EXHAUST TYRES AND BATTERIES LTD BOELEY ROAD EAST REDDITCH WORCESTERSHIRE B98 8PE

EXHAUST TYRES AND BATTERIES LTD UNIT 1 & 2 HYLTON ROAD WORCESTER WORCESTERSHIRE WR2 5JS

EXHAUST TYRES AND BATTERIES LTD LOVE LANE CIRENCESTER GLOUCESTERSHIRE GL7 1YG

EXHAUST TYRES AND BATTERIES LTD 6-10 WHITECROSS ROAD HEREFORD HEREFORDSHIRE HR4 0DG

GUILDFORD TYRE CO LTD 62 MARKENFIELD ROAD GUILDFORD SURREY GU1 4PE 01483 577541

KING DAVID TYRES LTD AZALEA ROAD ROGERSTONE GWENT NP10 9SA 01633 898211

KINGSWAY TYRES (STAMFORD) LTD KILMAINE CLOSE CAMBRIDGE CAMBRIDGESHIRE CB4 2PH

KINGSWAY TYRES (STAMFORD) LTD UNIT 5, PILOT ROAD CORBY NORTHANTS NN17 5YH

KINGSWAY TYRES (STAMFORD) LTD 11 Battery ROAD GREAT YARMOUTH NORFOLK NR30 3NN

KINGSWAY TYRES (STAMFORD) LTD RYHALL ROAD STAMFORD LINCOLNSHIRE PE9 1XP

AUTOFIT EXHAUST TYRES & BATTERIES 8 - 10 BRITANNIA ROAD IPSWICH SUFFOLK IP4 4PE 01473 723325

B.A BUSH & SON LTD BRIGG ROAD SubikHORPE LINCOLNSHIRE DN16 1AX 01724 874 588

B.A.BUSH & SON LTD STATION YARD HORNCASTLE LINCOLNSHIRE LN9 5AQ 01507 522 441

B.M.T.R. LIMITED 103-115 WALSALL ROAD PERRY BARR BIRMINGHAM B42 1TY 0121 331 1122

BANGOR TYRE SERVICE CAERNARVON ROAD BANGOR GWYNEDD LL57 4SH 01248 361294

BATHWICK TYRES LTD 639 COWBRIDGE ROAD CANTON CARDIFF CF5 1BH 01761 471981

BATHWICK TYRES LTD 97A NEWPORT ROAD BARNSTAPLE NORTH DEVON EX32 9BE

BATHWICK TYRES LTD UNIT 1 FLEMING ROAD NEWBURY BERKSHIRE RG14 2DE

BATHWICK TYRES LTD 109 - 110 WESTCOTE PLACE SWINDON WILTSHIRE SN1 5HR

BATHWICK TYRES LTD UNIT 5A, PEN-Y-BONT IND EST, COLTY ROAD BRIDGEND MID GLAMORGAN CF31 1NW

BATHWICK TYRES LTD BRISTOL STREET BATH AVON BA2 6PA

Idle-ish lunch break, so I thought I'd plot all of Kirk's tyre places above on a map, just to see what the distribution was like.

Sorry Orkney, Shetland and ROI, I've cut you off. You don't have any in the list.

Yeah, I might have missed some, well done if you are sad/mad enough to spot one. You're probably as sad/mad as I am for doing this. :D

Draw your own conclusions (if there are any). :)

Cheers

runflatnorth.jpg

runflatsouth.jpg

Thank you Kirk for the list and taking the time to post it! :thumbsup:

Shcm.....you have to much time on your hand's! :lol::lol::lol::lol::toast:

Just thought I would pop in on this one again

The tyre IS available from any tyre wholesaler (Toyota dealers use Stapletons)

We had to get a new tyre machine, an "Ordinary" tyre machine cant fit the donut (or so I'm advised)

We have had a couple of guys do the training, and there is a feeling of foreboding if asked to replace a tyre

How many do we do? very few, we seemed to do a lot when they first came out but none for months now. They take ages to fit, the donut ring is the problem and the re-setting of the TPMS for some reason!

I think many are getting too hot under the collar about this one (easy for me to say, NOT having a T180) but the chances of a puncture and being "Stuck" on the side of the road is negligable, isnt that the name of them "Runflat"?

Thanks for your input Kirk, maybe its because we don't do enough of these but we cant do them quickly, which is why we have to charge the labour to do it, our margin on tyres is quite low, so you couldnt possibly spend an hour or more fitting a tyre and not charging for it, the same would go for an independant, even if he did have the machinary

I know there is a lot of ill feeling about RFT's but most of it isnt justified

Kingo :thumbsup:

I know there is a lot of ill feeling about RFT's but most of it isnt justified

Oh yes it is! The basic issue is Toyota fitting unique tyres to a car without telling folk that they will pay dearly for a replacement in the first 3 years. They've been doing it for years and getting away with it. How many other cars and car manufacturers do the same but eh?

Bothwell buyer: Oh yes it is! The basic issue is Toyota fitting unique tyres to a car without telling folk that they will pay dearly for a replacement in the first 3 years

Well you could apply that to all manner of things on the car. "Actually sir, you car has a DMF and they cost £1500 to replace" or "The fan belts on these cars are £35 but one for a Morris 1000 is only £5" Both "Unique" to the car being sold, I'm not sure where you would draw the line, if asked our guys tell the customer, but to be honest we rarely get asked. 99% of people in the showroom dont want to know prices of replacement parts, servicing costs maybe, but little else. Salesmen wont give bad news unless they have to,

Looking at that map, the North-West is a bit sparce in locations. I guess it is a good thing that the Toyota dealers are not massively proficient in changing the tyres due to getting very little practice - would be nice to have a set-price like you would get in a tyre dealers, though.

Can't remember who posted it, but someone said that the dealer they bought their T180 from did not have the kit to replace the tyre on it - That, IMO, is out of order.

A Main Franchised dealer should not be permitted to sell a new vehicle that they are not able to properly service, so if they are gonna sell a T180 (SR180) they should get the kit in, or be up front with the buyer about it BEFORE they sell it. I was most disillusioned when I read that :no:

Bothwell buyer: Oh yes it is! The basic issue is Toyota fitting unique tyres to a car without telling folk that they will pay dearly for a replacement in the first 3 years

Well you could apply that to all manner of things on the car. "Actually sir, you car has a DMF and they cost £1500 to replace" or "The fan belts on these cars are £35 but one for a Morris 1000 is only £5" Both "Unique" to the car being sold, I'm not sure where you would draw the line, if asked our guys tell the customer, but to be honest we rarely get asked. 99% of people in the showroom dont want to know prices of replacement parts, servicing costs maybe, but little else. Salesmen wont give bad news unless they have to,

You can't really compare DMF's to tyres though!! Tyres are consumables, which are supoosed to be readily available anywhere, which the RFT's are definitely not!! As for fan belts, I assume you could go into your local Halfords and get one cheaper than TGB?

Looking at Kirk's list above, the nearest independent to me is still 30+ miles away, meaning I have to drive past 2 or 3 Toyota dealers to get there. However, I do have a NTS in my town, but it's not on the list. I know most places work as franchises, but why not all the NTS branches? I guess it's up to the franchisees to take a gamble on the initial (and I hear substantial) outlay for the equipment?

Kingo

I think bothy and sywy are spot on in this case. I wouldn't expect the salesman to be specific nor to pee on his own chips - my suggestion that new cars should have a warning was hypothetical but the principle of a particular vehicle having a consumable part which is so prohibitive is not on in my opinion (or the opinion of those that have paid £370 for a RAV4 tyre). You expect it with a Ferrari or something of that nature but I could buy a branded tyre for a 44 tonne Scania with that money.

I just empathise with the owners of these things. The RFT is a special product that allows this high powered vehicle to perform at its optimum and caters for the complications of having a puncture (accomodating an oversized spare wheel). I would expect to pay a premium but this is opportunistic greed.

Can anyone comment on whether these distributors hold stock and how the prices compare?

just surveying my garden and now have various sets of wheels for the RAV - I should set up in business! The 215/70 x 16 alloys.....then the 245/45 x 18s which were seen in Warrington, and now a set of 225/40 x 18 baldy tyres (I got them for nothing but the alloys were new); with a new set of lightweight alloys wearing 225/40 x 18 arriving this week...but this time with new tyres, which are Fawlcons (spelling?) at well less than £100 each. These latter are for road use. The baldy's I used at the last 1/4 mile trial sported a bulge in 1 tyre and a cut in the other, but as the sidewall is pretty thick stood up to abuse.

The new wheels are cheaper than the RAV4 steel wheels that i got sold 10 years ago or more as the steelies kept bending (well for an off road car yu'd think the wheel would be stronger?) Wheels aren't meant to be a consumable, altho it seems they are beginning to be.

And before you ask, the spare 18" set is for the 2nd RAV turbo which was delayed due to the donor MR2 having engine bits missing - a problem now rectified by getting another donor car.

Hi All,

There are now a few different Tyre changers that can fit the BSR and CSR Tyres, the Machine costs are from £3500 upwards, and these machines will also fit all other tyres upto 26" Wheel size. so Tyre companies looking to change existing equipment with up to date machines could have a support ring capable machine for the same cost as a regular Tyre changer.

We are adding Dealers to the list on a daily basis and also are looking to each centre to keep in stock Tyres and Support rings.

Take care

Kirk

07989 359 143

Hi All,

There are now a few different Tyre changers that can fit the BSR and CSR Tyres, the Machine costs are from £3500 upwards, and these machines will also fit all other tyres upto 26" Wheel size. so Tyre companies looking to change existing equipment with up to date machines could have a support ring capable machine for the same cost as a regular Tyre changer.

We are adding Dealers to the list on a daily basis and also are looking to each centre to keep in stock Tyres and Support rings.

Take care

Kirk

07989 359 143

Thanks Kirk, but will all these dealers be able to reset the TPMS aswell, or do we still have to visit Toyota? As Parts King said the reguarly have trouble with it??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links