Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Foa Bibbs

Spuffington

After loads of niggles and upsets, I'm having thoughts about getting rid of the Celica..........as lovely as it is, it's not been right for one reason or another since I've had her, so at some point in the next 6 months or so, I'm going to chop her in.

So........I'm looking to get an S2000 GT. Probably looking at an 03 plate given the suspension was revised in 02 together with a glass rear screen.

Bibbs - how are you enjoying yours? Any probs/issues? Running costs ok? I've checked out insurance and it's fine for me at around £650, so that's not an issue.

Honestly? It's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

You need to test drive one for a period to get used to it. It's got NO torque (about 160 lb/ft) but will redline to 9k. So even pootling around you are at 4/5k ..

No much happens below 5 anyhow.

It's very balanced, and I'd not be too worried about a GT (the hard top isn't something that'd stay on long, as soon as it's not raining, you drop the roof).

Running costs are okay if you are happy to get your hands dirty .. it's just regular oil changes etc.

I've gone from an MR2 Turbo and I'm more than happy with it (now I've sorted the quiet/no flames issues I had).

Have a look of www.s2ki.co.uk for a forum, the forum is a bit modder unfriendly. And if you don't read the FAQ, they seem upset, but overall they are very helpful (but seem to take their cars "back to the dealer as it's still under warranty").

Sounds like a pretty glowing report to me.

TBH - I'm not overly concerned about the lack of torque, given that the T-Sport doesn't have a bundle at <6k rpm anyway.

I do love the screaming/peaky nature of the T-Sport so that'll be cool, combined with r/w drive and a soft-top, I was hoping you'd be happy with it!

How often do you change the oil? I normally go with 5k oil changes anyway, is that ok?

Is the soft-top reasonably well insulated from windnoise etc when the hood is up?

I'll check out the forum too..........thanks mate :thumbsup:

Oil changes are supposed to be 9k miles I think .. but the car is SO easy to change the filter (compared to the MR2 that was a nightmare). It's a 15min job, and most of that is waiting for the oil to fall out.

I've heard that the VVTi engines sound "stressed" when over 6k .. the S2000 screams like a bike, I keep hitting the limiter as the power doesn't want to stop.

Wind noise *is* a problem, but not really until you are over the NSL anyway. With the stock exhaust it was easy to have a conversation with the roof down at motorway speeds. The roof is really an afterthought (I would say like taking an umbrella out with you "just in case", but I don't own an umbrella).

The car is very well balanced, each 2 year revision seems to have got "softer" (the 06 with traction control and stability management is getting slated). I've got an '00, and the only think I don't like is the plastic screen (mine is scuffed and slowly cracking).

Coming from an MR2, I've not really noticed any bad habits it's got handling wise. It's very chuckable and easy to control (touch wood) - power slides are a doddle ;).

Modding is a different matter - everythingbranded is expensive (spoon, mugen etc). I've just gone for the basics and she seems more responsive, but I doubt any more peak power.

You've got 6 months, it'd be the end of summer, and probably a good time to buy. If you are out Reading way (or see me at JAE etc) I'll show ya round one :)

Stunning cars - I was looking at replacing my corolla t-sport for a S2000 come summer, however couldnt justify it with a 2k insurance quote being the cheapest!

Insurance isn't cheap at all .. but I'm loving the fact that's what make it rarer ;)

Roadsters seem to have the "hairdresser" image .. but I don't care, it's a great car to drive ..

all I will say is I found the S2000 'souless', but then i go for more of the torquey V8's, and as Ben says, you have to learn to drive differently with the Honda...

and its not the car with the image ben - its you ;)

All i'll say Spuff, is check out some of the other 2 seater rag tops, even if just for a comparison (at your price range, try an early boxster, 350Z, Z3 (with a decent engine) maybe a TVR Tuscan/Tamora/Chimera)..

It's defo an aquired taste .. and you do have to give it more than a few days to get used to it. It's not a car to just "pootle" round in. It needs to be given very little mechanical sympathy.

I thought about some of the cars that Ian mentioned. And couldn't do the Boxter (mid engined and MacPhersons - I could stick with the MR2) Z3 (Ha ha ha ha, HA HA HA HA), and the TVRs I couldn't afford to run.

The 350Z was tempting, but the French engine and price put me off.

Horses for courses :) And I've no problems with the image, I'll just not drive around Brighton in it :lol:

Ben, that was just a quick list off the top of my head... mainly because so many people go car shopping from behind a computer - you can't beat climbing over them and driving..

Out of all of the cars i listed, the boxster impressed me the most, certainly handles better than a MR2 (IMO), and the S was reasonable, if not 'quick', but surprisingly comfortable and reliable..

The 350Z was awesome, but for the size, i'd expect more than 2 seats and a tiny boot..

Z3 - well, its a direct competitor (front engine, RWD, 2 seat rag top), try the 2.8 or M, its the opposite of the S2k - all torque, pathetic chassis, but hey, good comparison point.

you know my choice is the TVR - but yeah, a service every 5k, and not cheap...

Iv heard nasty tales of S2000's Vtec 'biting' and spinning people out of control on greasy roads and roundabouts... dunno if Bibbs can back that up though (Power slides are easy!) Having said that, the Celica has a rather big bite at 6500rpm!

My only problem with the S2000 is that I don't fit!!! :lol:

There are stories of "lift off oversteer", like the Audi TT ..

But where Audi did a recall, Honda suggested people who lift off mid corner "learn how to drive" (not quite, but close).

Each generation has gone softer on the suspension.

I'm still holding out for an NSX .. but in the meen time I'm happy :)

But where Audi did a recall, Honda suggested people who lift off mid corner "learn how to drive" (not quite, but close).

:laughing: thats class

There are stories of "lift off oversteer", like the Audi TT ..

Each generation has gone softer on the suspension.

I'm still holding out for an NSX .. but in the meen time I'm happy :)

Hehe!

I hate the TT... such a hairdressers/bankers posing mobile... waaay more so than the S2000.

Ooooh... NSX... tasty!

Iv heard nasty tales of S2000's Vtec 'biting' and spinning people out of control on greasy roads and roundabouts... dunno if Bibbs can back that up though (Power slides are easy!) Having said that, the Celica has a rather big bite at 6500rpm!

My only problem with the S2000 is that I don't fit!!! :lol:

Here's an example :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-634970617262302970

Always wanted a TVR, but can't be doing with the lack of reliability.

Boxster/911 is an option in 2/3 years time, but at the moment I don't want to be second guessing the servicing/repair bills. I've got a mate with a 993 and although it's 9 years old, he reckons about £1000 a year is about right for servicing, parts and labour for most Porsche's. That's a job for a couple of years time.........in the meantime, the missus is just as demanding!!! :eek:

The 350Z is an option. I've always fancied a ragtop and one with enough ultimate power/pace to keep me satisfied. If an S2000 can keep up with a Boxster (not an S though), I'm happy for a fraction of the running cost. I do like midrange, but it's not the be all and end all!!!

Thanks for all your comments though guys........keep em coming if anyone else has anything though!! :thumbsup:

imagine that noise .. but with an extra 500rpm .. and more bass, and about three times the volume and you are getting close to mine .. oh, and when it hits the limiter, mine pops flames and sounds like a shotgun.

and the S2000 first understeers, he turns more .. the bum comes round nice and then the driver catches it too late.

imagine that noise .. but with an extra 500rpm .. and more bass, and about three times the volume and you are getting close to mine .. oh, and when it hits the limiter, mine pops flames and sounds like a shotgun.

MMmmmm - sounds great!! :drool:

and the S2000 first understeers, he turns more .. the bum comes round nice and then the driver catches it too late.

So what you're saying is "watch out for ditches!!" :lol:

MMmmmm - sounds great!! :drool:

It is until the rozzers take notice. Hoping to have the car finished in the next week or two and then I'll post up pics.

So what you're saying is "watch out for ditches!!" :lol:

Nothing like that .. more of a "keep awake"! You can drive the car up to 6k and it's like a "normal" car (about 160bhp @ 6,000 rpm). But with the revs you are doing, any loss of traction will result in the car sliding straightaway (the engine will accelerate so quick) .. it seems I've become atune to this in my MR2 driving. I noticed on a country road blat last night that the car squirms a LOT when on full chat and requires lots of small corrections due to the road surface .. but put it below 6k and it's just another roadster.

How fast are they going? Unless my machine is playing it back really slowly, that can't be even 30mph? :unsure:

Paul.

How fast are they going? Unless my machine is playing it back really slowly, that can't be even 30mph? :unsure:

Just looks slow and greasy .. he doesn't end up far away so it's defo not quick.

Looks like a FWD person driving RWD car.

(Understeer?! I'll just turn the wheel more then!)

That is some spectacularly shoddy driving!!!!!

Also, I thought that civic sounded hideous... its that "honda fartbox" sound.. why was he hitting the rev limiter before changing gear????

It's the NA sound when you don't have a turbo blocking the exhaust manafold. It's a tad raspy, but then Vtec's are as it's high revving stuff.

He's hitting the limiter as it's not an auto and he wants to keep in the powerband.

He's hitting the limiter as it's not an auto and he wants to keep in the powerband.

Sometimes Ben, for someone that makes out to know alot about cars... you are utterly clueless :thumbsup:

Edit: Sorry I just saw your sig.... I remember why he was doing it ;)

dude, on the Civics (and most NAs now days) you got to get as close to the limiter as you can to keep it on the top cam when changine up a gear (the S2000 is different you have a good 500~750 rpm window). If you watch the Best Motoring vids, they are bouncing off the limiters all the time (usually not *quite* as long as that guy) down the straights.

If you change up too early, you drop off the top cam and then the whole switchover/no torque thing happens ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links