Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Foa Bibbs

Spuffington

Surely a decent driver could change gear without the loss of hitting the rev limter, but keeping it "on cam"?

Surely a decent driver could change gear without the loss of hitting the rev limter, but keeping it "on cam"?

Answered your own question there with the driver in that video :lol:

Charlie I always take the 2zzge right to the redline when pressing on. You need to keep it there during the gear change too if you want to drop back in the zone between 1st and 2nd.

Interestingly, in my old Yaris manual it said don't rev into the red zone or premature engine damage may occur. It doesn't say that in the Corolla manual :D

Paul.

Paul I never said taking up to the redline is pointless... just bouncing off the rev limiter ;)

I would be interested to see the power graphs of the cars, as "peak torque" is where you are accelerating the most.... in every power curve I have ever seen peak torque trails off torards the end.....

Granted I have never shown enough interest in a honda engine to look at its power graph, so if I am wrong I will happily stand corrected ;)

Peak torque is from 6000-8750 on the S2000 .. but then that's why I don't have to kane it.

It's not the peak torque that you need to stay in, it the fact you have to be on the limiter to drop back into the good torque .. it's the issue with a very limited power band.

And yeah, a "good" driver shouldn't hit it ..

lol thats all I was saying!!!! B)

But you have to get close .. and even the pro's hit it. But not for a good 5 seconds.

If I remember, the peak torque on the 2zzge is around 68, with peak power at 78 and the redline at about 83. The power at 8300rpm is better than the power at 6200rpm which is where the power band starts and roughly where your next gear is going to drop you.

It's a challenge for Corolla and Celica drivers on the 1/4 mile because the last change from 3rd to 4th is only worth doing if you have had a really good first half. You sometimes hang on the limit for a couple of seconds rather than lose speed on the gear change.

If you get it right early, though, it is worth hitting fourth and moving on again before you hit the line.

Paul.

From Auto Express survey .. seems I'm not the only one who's a fan ..

car_portal_pic_24685.jpg

car_portal_pic_24691.jpg

In america the SC400 (soarer V8 limited) came first 8 times!!!!!!!

I think thats pretty conclusive that frnch cars are crap :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links