Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev1 Vs Rev2 Handling (n/a)

mrfil13

Ive read the documents at the top, one of the things about handling on the rev1 vs rev2 was the rev2 had "revised suspension, wheels, tyres, brakes and geometry" Im guessing if you put bigger wheels, brakes, better shocks and springs it would be much better. But what does it mean by geometry, was it something major and difficult to change on a rev1 or is it simple or minor improvement?

Also for the brakes, can the bigger brakes fit on a rev1 if it has bigger alloys, or does it need other mods? cheers

yours is a rev1 upgraded aint it, how does yours compair to a later rev, also with the upgrades is it tail happy? Just looking at a rev1 and wondering if i should get that and upgrade it, or get a rev2-3 depending what i can find.

Is it tail happy??... lol

All these cars are tail happy! You just have to be carefull.

I would say mine handles just as well as any later rev car tbh. My car handles very well! Can't tell you what's on it suspension wise tho, as it came from japan the way it is!!

If you can get the rev1 cheap, go for it mate. Won't take much to sort out the suspension. Most handling issues were sorted on the rev1 by upgrading the wheel size from 14" and changing the suspension! Easy to do.

cool cheers, sounds good. Need to have a look at it, its £2000 at the mo, but it's only got 76k miles or near that, so tempted if its good to get it and do it up.

cool cheers, sounds good. Need to have a look at it, its £2000 at the mo, but it's only got 76k miles or near that, so tempted if its good to get it and do it up.

my rev one had only 70000 miles on it then it went pop :(

Just getting rebuild now. you want one with a lot of history, give you some idea on how it has been used. i bought mine cheap, i swapped a R reg mondeo 1.8 diesel and £200 for mine. to be honest it was a bag when i bought it.

this one looks so far like its in good condition, ive got a celica GT at the mo with 110k miles on it and it's fine. They are good engines as long as you said theres history and people have looked after it. Fingers crossed its a good one :)

just noticed yours a turbo, i imagine they are easyer to kill with too much PSI.

just seen this .. I had a rev1 NA and a rev2 turbo.

The geo is a BIG factor, looks like they changed a LOT, the car sits lower, on bigger wheels. There are lots of small tweaks to the setup and the size of some parts, to get the car handling proper.

Don't trust Jim's "my car handles well" stuff .. he's stuffed the car twice I know of :D

I ended up with full race spec coilovers, extra bracing, and it was "okay" on the track. Cornered so flat and sharp.

The brakes are tiny on the rev2+ .. the rev1 is even smaller. To upgrade you need bigger wheels (14" stock) and then get the calipers, mounts and disks.

I had grooved/drilled disks, race pads, 5.1 fluid and braided lines. Around Nur it was fine .. pedal got a tad soft after 6 laps in a day though.

In all honesty, if this is being done on a budget, rev2 MINIMUM (the rev1 is just pony as stock) .. and then if you can afford it, get a rev3.

For all the proper specs, have a look at parkers.co.uk

edit

Sorry just looked at your post properly, im at work so had a quick glance, does not look like there is much hope for the Rev1 then. Isnt the GEO camber etc? which would get altered with a new set of alloys or not? Im not really on a budget as such, just wanted to know if i bought the Rev1 upgraded the dampers/ lower springs and brakes would it make it better? But as you say it was OK around the track it does not sound good.

Also I have Gen 6 celica GT at the moment which the MPG for me is about 30-34, i dont fancy getting the Rev1 if its really worse than this as i might as well get a turbo.

Does this info look about right, the MPG part at the bottom is in 1/100km, if this is correct and my maths are right the average MPG should be 35mpg and about 28mpg for urban.

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/mr2_compare.html

Might be a bit mis leading .. but rev1 on springs and alloys/tyres will get about 90% of the way there. Also my rev2 "okay" would be better than anything I'd meet on a daily drive .. but I've got high goals.

My car would out corner a LOT of other cars on the road. But the MR2 is flawed by design, so I want really at the limit of what's possible without mega bucks.

My rev1 returned high 20's, low 30's .. MPG. The Turbo was low 20's at best (managed 8mpg runs more than once). That's a full tank in under 100 miles.

Ok that sounds fair. In my Celica at worst i get 30mpg, best about 34 (with my girl friend in the car :) ) was that high 20s around a track :) i can cope with 30-34mpg, i generally do alot of long distance steadyish driving. Thats what i like about the N/A you can put your foot down and not really worry about the MPG. Would you say £2k for a Rev1 T-bar with 76k miles ish and 17" alloys is fair price, it looks like it's been resprayed, either that or the black bits that go along the side have been painted. Also it was an import. Cheers

without seeing the car - I have no idea .. take someone along who knows what they are looking at.

Rev1's are getting to the stage where Rust may become an issue. The old metal worm .. it's a car killer.

My dad and bro are mechinics, so got one of 2 people to drag along. It was imported about 5 years ago so rust should not be problem if they treated it when it came to the UK. Fingers crossed. Im going to picky with it as when i sell my celica i would be have alot more money to spend on a newer one, so will only get if its gooood condition

Mrfil13

I think you should definitely buy it :lol:

The body work is in mint condition no rust at all. It has been resprayed a couple of years back, all under bonnet, engine lid etc sprayed aswel with no exsisting colour showing.

Give me a call when you want to look at it even if its before you sell your Celica just so we both know where we stand with the situation. ( As i am thinking of putting it on Autotrader soon ) I would much prefer to sell it to a Owners Club Member, should look after it as well as i have done.

Speak to you soon

:thumbsup:

Hi sewelly, cool, will get to have a look at it soon. :) I was just abit concerned about the Rev1 vs later, but seems i should be ok with upgraded Rev1 :)

Yeah should be good, liking the plans you have for it. If i you do buy it you might see me stood at the end of the drive crying every so often haha

If you are looking to put some lowering springs on Ricomr2 on here use to be able to get them, this was last year when i was looking to buy some.

Have you got any pictures of your Celica? Just interested to see ive seen it around at all.

I will be putting it up for sale in the next few days on here so keep an eye out, :) i was like that when my cousin bought my Renault 5, dont think i would be gutted about my celica, it's not my type of car, i prefer late 80's, early 90's styling. :)

gotta get going, finish work :) i might give you a ring tonight if my dad is willing to come.

is it sewelly's car??

If so buy the thing! Always wanted a yellow mr2!!

He already has larger wheels... breaks are a good upgrade, but not necessary! As for shocks etc,,, if on a budget get some lowering springs. Should sort you out!!

As for my crashing the mr2.. nothing to do with my cars setup... more to do with me driving on practically slicks!! :

)

yup it is his car, going to have a look at it tonight. Hopefully it wont be to dark to see a bright yellow car :)

My Celica is now up for sale in the sale section, so some pics on there, it's abit wet though :)

hi mrfil13 get the yellow mr2 ive got a rev 1 gti t-bar in black ..my personell fav colour second being skye's blue and the yellow is unusuall defo stand out ive not pushed mine yet and dont intend to for a while im just glad ive finally got one now and yeah in time upgrade to a rev 3 so dont worry about it being ONLY a rev 1

:) i imagine that. Dont have to worry about 200lb's of torque at the back wheels as you go around a corner :) ive just had a look at it. It's nice, but i need a proper look at it during the day, also really could do with selling my celica first.

Also on the dash lights when you put the ignition on, what the light P/S and on the looks like to horizontal lines with a bulge in the middle and steam coming off the top?

the p/s is the power steering light. It should come on when you turn the ignition, then turn off.

The other light is the cat overheat light. I wouldn't worry too much if the car has been decatted as it's most probably just a sensor issue.

jimmr2

They only come on when you turn the ignition to the electrics then go off when the engine starts

Just neither of us were sure what it meant.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links