Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Brake Calliper

Jinxed

hi :)

Discovered one of my back callipers has siezed completely. Went out today and got a new one.

Cars a mk 2 rev 3 turbo and the callipers the correct one. It came with some instructions and having read them ive got a couple of questions. If someone could explain a lil that would be fantastic :) :thumbsup:

1) It appears i have to release the self adjusting mechanism of the handbrake... anyone know how i do this?

2) It appears i may have to 'turn the piston' on the calliper, what exactly does this do?

if i need to be more clear about what im asking jus say and ill try an provide a more reflective explanation.

in the event someone knows just what im asking and explains... in advance many thanks :thumbsup:

Hmm, done the fronts before hon.. but not the rear... replaced both the fronts last weekend...

Rears are a little more of a pita I think... good luck tho... if I find anything useful I'll stick it in here for ya...

*heads off to search

just drop the h-brake .. and the pistons twist in, not push in. It's like that on most cars.

theres a self adjust screw mecahnism for the handbrake that works agaisnt the wear of the pads

best bet is to go to a car shop and get a special tool for it, theyre only a couple of quid, just wind it all the way in and fit, its a doddle

then when your in the car....

foot on brake, relase and apply handbrake three times

handbrake on, press break pedal three times

repeat that a few times, it helps to self adjust the rear pistons to the correct position

just remeber

yank, yank, yank, pump, pump, pump, yank, yank, yank.... sounds like a sunday night

jobs a goodun :thumbsup:

my uncle made a tool for turning the piston this morning(im astounded how good that tool looks), and my dad saved me from bodging it all up. got the calliper on and working. And the car feels a lot better than it was(which was great lol, now its omfg'ulicious) :D

Car doesnt seem to pull left now, seems to accelerate considerably more freely and quicker, and im hoping the petrol consumption is going to be noticeably better :thumbsup:

Thanks for your brains peeps :yes:

not a problem, can i have my brain back now? i might need it later

not a problem, can i have my brain back now? i might need it later

erm 2nd class stamp posted :thumbsup: ups royal mail kick things about :!Removed!: im sowwy :lol:

heh glad im j/k cos u guys rock :thumbsup:

incidentally petrol consumption is frankly ridiculously better... didnt imagine it could have made such a diference but the diference seems to be approximately 40% less petrol used... stunned i is

yeah you wouldnt believe the havoc that brake drag can cause, ive seen a car that destroyed its wheel bearings due to the moly grease inside breaking down under the heat caused by the friction :wacko:

best sort it when ya spot it :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links