Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Mot!

jaxx

just had the old test done on her and its failed! only minor stuff though...

fog light switch illumination... fixed that as soon as i got home, numpty here had connected it up wrong

headlamp aim out of wad

steering rack boot split

all booked in for next monday though, and only less than three weeks till the nurburgring :D

mines failed and isnt likely to pass in time................

whats wrong matey :blink:

ive also plumped up for a new pair of boots for the backend being as it is a fair journey and the week after is brunters and my current ones are near the depth limiters, got an advisory on this anyhow...

The car failed its MOT on everything possible to do with brakes, they even failed my handbrake thats how knackered the whole system is.

So I used that as an excuse to buy a big brake conversation.

I told them I need them within two weeks max.

....That was one month ago, and as far as i'm aware there still not in stock.

So i'm screwed basically.

I'd be a bit wary about a big brake conversion if it only does anything to the front anyway, you can easily end up !Removed! up the brake bias and INCREASING your stopping distances.

Ok you'll gain fade resistance at the front and maybe get better pedal feel, but that doesn't help if your big shiny front brakes are on the point of locking up the front wheels while the rears are doing half what they'd do with a standard setup in the same situation.

Maybe go with some OEM calipers, decent OEM sized discs and a good setup of upgrade pads?

I do alot of track days so i'm always going through discs and pads,

It's just now that the calipers have decided enough is enough.

335mm Discs with 4 pots on the front is not a massive increase.

and i've replaced the rear discs with black diamond Trailing Grooved combi's which are standard size

I'm not trying to be argumentative and you might know all this stuff already:), but I do think you need to be very careful here. Standard MR2 front discs are 275mm aren't they? So you've got a disc that's 20% larger.

If the centreline of the pad moves away from the hub by 20% too (which it will more or less) you've increased the braking force at the front wheels by 20% for the same pedal force before you've even considered the calipers. Your rear brakes are doing more or less the same as before and so the brake bias moves forward significantly.

Without knowing the piston area of the calipers I can't say what they're doing, but if its larger than standard you'll be increasing the braking at the front end even more and increasing your pedal travel (which might screw things up if you heel and toe).

It'll probably feel like an improvement (more braking force for the same pedal force), but when you reach the limit you'll be locking the fronts even more in advance of the rears than normal and so you won't be able to stop as quickly.

I'm no expert on braking systems, but I had to go through all this recently when working out what brakes I needed on my car :) Hope its some help.

w00t

rod legal for another year :D 280quid for the privellage though :rolleyes:

Yours is going in on Monday morning Stu, everything sorted but the handbrake travel, but they said they'd play with it before they test it.

Fingers crossed everone! :thumbsup:

yeah cheers for taking my car of my hands whilst im stuck in work

and thanks for putting those light bulbs in for me :thumbsup:

I've managed to do bodge the brakes temporarily for the time being as i doubt my new brakes from ENVY will be with me in time now......

infact there are all ready to late for me to do anything with now anyways :rolleyes:

(not that i'm blaming Envy, it's the Yank company they ordered them through thats let me down) :ffs:

............. it's just the emissions now, which is out of my hands :help:

do you reckon slick 50 will help??

so hows does cataclean help me pass then when i havent got a cat to clean? :lol:

i think you make the stuff in your kitchen and flog it on eBay :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links