Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Want To Buy A Mk1 Mr2, Advice Please!

moore

Hello, I really need your experience and guidance. Very bored with my car (Seat Ibiza 1.4 yawn) and have a tiny budget. I thought an MR2 Mk1 would be a perfect little sports car to have for a couple of yrs. Been looking on eBay and some look quite good. I dont think i will be able to get one without rusting wheel arches unless i pay loads. Is it a serious problem? how much would it cost to get replacement arches? Is it common for the T-bar models to leak? and do all the non-T-bar models sun-roofs dettach? I hear they go 0-60 in 8 seconds. Do they still do that even at their age? Is there anything else I should look out for when buying one? How much would you pay for 1? I have £800 tops!!! should i expect to pay loads more after i buy it on trying to keep it running?

AW11s (MK1 MR2s) are increasingly reaching classic status. I'm sure you'll find one for 800 pounds, but it will more than likely have rust somewhere (unless you're very, very lucky).

Don't expect to find a good one in a week - it took a few months searching and getting advice before I found the one that was good for me, so you have to be very realistic with your requirements and what you're prepared to pay.

My max budget was 1500 and I managed to find a good example for under that, with 83000 on the clock, although it needs minor cosmetic adjustments to be absolutely 'perfect' (some bubbling in two arches).

A good starting point is the MOT - mine has a year's MOT so you know that most of the structure is relatively sound and all the important bits work as they should. If you can get one with a long MOT then that's good. Always ask about what documentation & history comes with the car too. If you find one with what seems low mileage (anything less than 100000) then make sure the documentation is there to prove it - i.e all old MOTs.

Another misconception is that they are 'cheap' little sports cars. They are not, so put aside part of your max budget for those repairs and bits and bobs that mount up - because they will. It's quite a commitment buying a car that falls into 'Classic' territory.

I've only had mine a week and have spent almost 100 pounds getting servicing parts (oil, belts, wipers etc). The tax is also due on the 31st, which is 175.00.

Insurance is good if you can insure with a classic policy. If the '2 won't be your only car, you can insure as a collector's car. If it's going to be your daily, then try companies such as Lancaster, Bell and Elephant. Be careful when insuring as a classic because you may have an annual mileage limit (typically 3000 - 5000). Some also only cover Personal, Social & Domestic use - NOT commuting.

Garrick (System G) is a good person to ask, or pop over to the MK1 MR2 Club on IMOC as they're the experts :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links