Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo - Pros N Cons?

djskylineuk

Hi Guys!

I wanna buy an MR2 Turbo J plate imported from japan Running @ 260BHP Standard!

What i wanted to ask was what are the pros and cons of buying a Trubocharged one? for e.g. How long will it last me (The Turbo) What sort of MPG will i be looking at and overall running costs?

IV ust Sold my SW20 2.0 and wanted to go for a Turbo,

petrol consumption can be anywhere from 25 mpg(miss daisy style) right down to about(ac other members reports) 7mpg(Stolen style). Turbo means careful in bad conditions, i underestimated the warnings of turbo+wet/ice+corner= oh dear and nearly paid the price a couple of times!

Whereas non turbo slightly less careful necessary.

Oh and given my very limited knowledge on technicalities the most important factor at pres imo - non turbo nice , turbo = WOOOHOOOOO major fun

most important thing id say is make sure if you buy a tubby its in good nick.... if it is 5 minutes after buying all other thoughts will be irrelevant as youll be too busy having immense fun in it :thumbsup:

Hi Guys!

I wanna buy an MR2 Turbo J plate imported from japan Running @ 260BHP Standard!

What i wanted to ask was what are the pros and cons of buying a Trubocharged one? for e.g. How long will it last me (The Turbo) What sort of MPG will i be looking at and overall running costs?

IV ust Sold my SW20 2.0 and wanted to go for a Turbo,

As with any car it is a lottery to what sort of past life its had. You really need to see the car in the flesh and know what to look for. Its obviously been modified if running that bhp but you need to find out what its had done to achieve this.

MPG can be well into the single figures, less than 7mpg I'd say at times! Any car of this age is going to have usual problems, shockers, drop links, brakes etc as well as replacing any engine parts as they go. It's not going to be cheap but that isn't the reason you buy one.

If you can save a bit more, go for the Rev 3. It's a better car as standard.

Joe

Dayum 7MPG LOLOL....But who cares at the end of the day its all about the satisfaction of owning a Turbo Charged... Hissing.....Beast! And the massive Grin on your face When your Driving one..... will prob need plastic surgery to straighten my face after each ride lol

running costs arent that bad. parts are plentiful and cheap. the cars are reliable if you get a looked after example. fuel economy is usually 15-30mpg depending on how you drive.

my rev3 turbo is certainly a lot more economical than my rx7 and impreza sti

the argument id like to make is....

'dont buy an mr2 turbo (or any high performance sports car) if your going to complain about MPG and running costs' ;)

if you want an economical car then steer clear,

its not just fuel... regular oil and filter changes are a must (50quid a pop), rear tyres dont last long (even just due to the torque scrubbing them down), brakes dont last as long, clutches wear out faster.... and so on and so forth

however if your willing to cover the costs with minimal fuss and want plenty of 'boost-grin' :D and something a little less common than an evo, 200sx or subaru, and makes more expensive cars look silly off the lights.... then the 2 turbo is for you :)

pros - fantastically quick car that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, and when you walk away from it and look back for a quick peek. :D

cons - other cars that you maybe always aspired to own will seem not so quick or desirable anymore. ;)

Pros - lot of bang for buck, good pace, nice drive.

Cons - rubbish suspension and weight distribution, comon as hell now, and some truely hedious abominations out there as they are not firmly in the "chav" bracket.

im willing 2 rinse my money on running costs cus iv been after a Turbo for ages and to top it off its a nice T-bar model iv seen ....so fingers crossed will buy it soon and keep you guys updated ;)

Rights guys liek i said i wanted some advice in buying an mr2 turbo cus iv never owned the turbo version always had the 2.0 Sports SW20 was a good torquey engine but there was just that little bit extra missing....

so i went off and looked at an MR2 Trubo Jap Import 260 bhp. HKS BOV and Scorpion Exhaust Full cat back, The guy revved the car up sounded sweet and was like :D damn could hear the BOV Hissing Jamp in and drove down the road approaching a junction....Took a left and the Road ahead Was clear, as i know how mr2s handle in the wet i took it easy and approached a set of lights....the guy told me to boot the car and get a feel of the turbo, i thougth ah what the hell never gnna ragg an mr2 like this so i took the opportuinity and did so!!

pressed the accellerator to the metal in first and i was like............................ :o :o :o :o :o WTF!!?!??!

It was sooooooooo fast i was trembling in fear lolololo and its not normal of me to **** my pants when im driving, this car is amazing T-Bar 60K genuine miles 3 uk owners T-Bar 17" wheels Cat 1 Alarm, Very fast any1 looking for an MR2 Turbo GET ONE!!!!!!

Will post pics Asap Watch this space....

Ahhh, I remember when I was like that ..

Then I modded the hell out of it ..

and now I want to sell it ..

the thrill of the first time you boot it!! ... :)

I remember driving about edinburgh with stupid crazy acceleration!! ... joy!!

the thrill of the first time you boot it!! ... :)

I remember driving about edinburgh with stupid crazy acceleration!! ... joy!!

amen :thumbsup:

Right brought car Home This evening 4 PM Just got home from driving since 4 and its 1:43 am been driving for ages shes more addictive then s*x lol....

Praise The Turbo.....Woooootish :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links