Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Free Windscreen Repair

crizzle

Good Everning, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is involved in repairing scratches on the windscreen, will I need to get the car washed? Is it a long process?, ie take 24hrs.

I know repairing chips is normally free with fully comp insurance.... not sure about scratches though.... not sure if they'd be classed as chips!

I doubt its a 24-hr jobby, I had my whole windscreen on my Matiz replaced in less that 45 mins by Autoglass - I didnt need to wash my car for that, but I think they recommend some form of shelted, such as a garage or something, incase it starts to rain.... that was for a replacement though... not a repair....

Really you shouldnt drive your car Em after having your windscreen replaced.

As it takes atleast 24hrs for the glue to bond properly.

Idealy its best to do it summer; but in winter they use heatguns to help speed up the proccess.

As for scratches, I dont know if there classed as chips?

I'd say the windscreen bloke would have to be mighty unfair to say there not.

As a general rule chips are free and replacements have an excess charge of £50.

Also phone your insurance company "some" might fix the problem for free but they count it as a claim!

(wrong i know; but some do!!)

Really you shouldnt drive your car Em after having your windscreen replaced.

I never said I did drive my car after.... waited 2 days before doing so! ;) I meant that I doubt the whole job would take a day.... as it only took my guy 45 mins.... but obviously you dont drive it for a day or two....

i waited 2 hrs before driving mine + it was fine, if its just scratched + they wont repair it cause its not a scratch, do what i did and give it a good belt in the bottom of the passenger side :) give em a reason to replace it :)

They repair chips with a resin which cures under ultraviolet light. They have a UV light with them just in case they aren't working on the one really sunny day we get each year. :lol:

Scratches are a different matter altogether though and I doubt they'd be treated as a free repair. One way to find out though, phone 'em. :yes:

I think they repair any chips smaller than a pound coin for free providing you've got fully comp insurance. My dad was getting a chip fixed on his car outside the office & I mentioned mine to the person who did it & he did it there & then. It still looks chipped from the inside but it feels smooth from the outside.

I would like to watch them do it too......

I have seen so many mkiiis get a bubble of rust on the A pillar where some windscreen tard has chipped the pain inder the pastic trim to replace the winscreen, they don;t protect it afterwards resulting in rust few years later... to fiss it poroperly, you need to take the windscrren out again, buy new trims etc etc....

If its still visible after its repaired then its no good as it is in my line of sight.

You might need to get a new windscreen then, my chip was in an easily-ignorable part of the windscreen on the passenger side so I'm happy with a repair

If its still visible after its repaired then its no good as it is in my line of sight.

You might need to get a new windscreen then, my chip was in an easily-ignorable part of the windscreen on the passenger side so I'm happy with a repair

Even if they do treat it as a chip I'm guessing there will be too many anyway. I phoned the other week to get my chips done (all MOT passable) and They refused to do them because I had more than 3.

It sounds like it's a new windscreen job :yes:

I work in Motor Insurance and we now do payments to windscreen companies in our Office - we've recently been given the task so we issue the payments. If it is just a repair job then you won't pay an excess but your Insurance Co will still get billed for the cost of repairing the windscreen. If it's a replacement and you pay a £50/£60 excess and the rest gets billed to the Ins Co.

As for scratches, if they are minor then I would assume they would be a repair but then I'm not an expert. I would call up RAC (or whoever) and ask them. Either way I doubt it would count as a claim on your Insurance as it's damage to the glass and there is no point.

I'm off work sick at the moment, I will be back on Thursday so I will try and ask our Windscreen Department what it would be termed as.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links